Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NBN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 11:51am
Interesting story about internet genius Turnull's Ozemail bonanza- $500,000 investment in 1994 sold for $57 million in 1997. The buyer was WorldCom, who were funding their massive expansion with a $3.8 billion fraud.

That's the kind of innovation we should all get a piece of, if only we were smarter.Wink
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 12:03pm
Was starting in I.T. around the year 2000 and came accross a few that attempted all sorts of start ups with good ideas and not so good noted you had to be lucky as well.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 1:32pm
A report that ranks countries according to their broadband speed is 57% downloaded, Malcolm Turnbull confirmed today.

Mr Turnbull said he would share the results with the rest of the nation as soon as the report had downloaded. “I’m really looking forward to seeing where Australia is on the list. I’ll just pop the kettle on and then we’ll have a look,” he said.

He then suggested it might be easier to just send it on later once it’s ready. “It’s still not quite there. How about I email it around to everyone tonight, then you can start downloading it and have it ready for tomorrow morning,” he said.

The full list of countries, ranked by internet speed, is available here.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 10:31am
Down again for 1 1/2 hrs Thumbs Down
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 11:46am
When you go overseas you begin to understand just how poor our internet speed is. Not all places of course because even in advanced countries many businesses provide slow wifi but occasionally you come across something that blows even the best we have here out of the water.

Prime example was when I visited one of the Qantas lounges in LA when waiting for my flight to Vegas last year. Lightning fast. Loaded pages that would normally take a few seconds to load instantly. Granted there were very few people in the lounge at the time but this was still like nothing id ever seen. Just showed how far behind we are.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 2:22pm
Korea has amazing speed and in the process of improving it further,Japan as well.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 2:53pm
Dare I say it? Back again but for how long? Bugger the speed, I just need access Evil Smile
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 1:21am
taxpayers pay to build the NBN, then we pay to use the NBN, now @TurnbullMalcolm wants to create an NBN specific tax, good job 😡
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 12:45pm
Gettingbigger View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gettingbigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 7:52pm
I live in Swannys electorate and have had the Nbn (super fast ) on for over 18 months and all I can say is give me back my copper cable , the Nbn isn't whats its cracked up to be.
Say nothing once why say it again
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Gettingbigger Gettingbigger wrote:

I live in Swannys electorate and have had the Nbn (super fast ) on for over 18 months and all I can say is give me back my copper cable , the Nbn isn't whats its cracked up to be.

You have fibre to the premises? How do you get that? I thought that was only in places that got NBN pre-Abbott.

What's wrong with it?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:18pm
ADSL problems were quickly rectified by the server, ime. Now on NBN, you complain to the server who then logs the problem with NBN & you wait in the queue with any communication coming from the server who 1/2 the time haven't a clue what's going on LOL
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:12pm
Still a total crock for many people living 10kms or more out of Wangaratta in NE Vic.  Ouch  Angry
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 11:51pm
All boils down to that piece of copper to you're house 🙄
Gettingbigger View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gettingbigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

You have fibre to the premises? How do you get that? I thought that was only in places that got NBN pre-Abbott.

What's wrong with it?

Yes I have fibre into my home , I didn't have an option with the Nbn it was either connect to it of I would have cut off because they were turning the copper off phone and all , buffering is bad at peak times , nowhere faster than the copper , wifi is weak , and offline a fair bit , even the phone plays up at times , and they charge an extra $20 to be hooked up to the super fast Nbn Censored
Say nothing once why say it again
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 6:12pm

Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

What's wrong with it?

Yes I have fibre into my home , I didn't have an option with the Nbn it was either connect to it of I would have cut off because they were turning the copper off phone and all , buffering is bad at peak times , nowhere faster than the copper , wifi is weak , and offline a fair bit , even the phone plays up at times , and they charge an extra $20 to be hooked up to the super fast Nbn Censored

thats what they do, then say look at our numbers increasing 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 7:06pm
I'm on Fixed Wireless, slowest speed available- 12/1 Mbps- and it works adequately for what I need- maximum load is streaming from 2 devices +  browsing on a laptop. NBN says you need 25 to stream but that ain't right. Haven't had a dropout yet and never been unable to stream when I want.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:35am
I make it a firm policy never to praise any machine or service I'm using because I don't want to jinx it. I knew I was taking a risk with my last post. Whaddya know- 5 minutes later- drastic slowdown on NBN- too slow to stream. 

The good news is that I got a explanatory email this morning from my telco:

"The issue is a mix of NBN Scheduled Maintenance and us having to combine links whilst this maintenance is underway."

And a $10 credit

Didn't even have to complain.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 5:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920
  Share Topic