Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Moody/O'Brien/Kavanagh & Cobalt.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 224>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moody/O'Brien/Kavanagh & Cobalt.....
    Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:35pm
Throw the book at him. Heres your chance racing to prove its one rule for all....

Edited by Gay3 - 14 Jan 2015 at 12:35pm
Conflict of Interest is a state of mind- John Messara.
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:38pm
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

junkie
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:44pm
Not very informative for an opening post subby, I'm sure we'd all appreciate your sharing the news Confused
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:45pm

Peter Moody to face stewards over positive tests

Patrick Bartley 
Published: January 13, 2015 - 6:36PM

One of Australia's leading horse trainers Peter Moody has been informed by Racing Victoria that one of his team has tested positive to the outlawed narcotic cobalt during last year's spring racing carnival and faces up to a three-year disqualification if found guilty.

The man who prepared champion mare Black Caviar to win a succession of races over five years will face stewards in coming weeks.

Moody has been a premiership-winning trainer since arriving from Queensland. He chose to inform selected members of the media regarding the test.

Victorian stewards have been robust in their bid to outlaw cobalt - a performance-enhancing drug that has the same effect as EPO, a renowned blood doping drug.

"I'm devastated to be informed by Racing Victoria stewards that one of my runners has tested positive to a banned substance during the 2014 Spring Carnival," Moody said in a statement.

"I have no knowledge or understanding as to how this could occur and will work with Racing Victoria Integrity Services Department to bring this matter to a conclusion as soon as possible.

"I take great pride in my role in thoroughbred racing in Victoria and strive to manage my business and support my wonderful group of owners and staff with the highest levels of honesty and professionalism. I will continue to the goal over the next few months and do everything possible to clear my name.

"I will make no further comment until its conclusion."

More to come

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/horseracing/peter-moody-to-face-stewards-over-positive-tests-20150113-12nfqj.html

subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:45pm
One of his horses from the spring has tested positive to Cobalt.
MelbourneRacing View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:47pm
I would love it if it was Dissident!!! Would explain a lot!
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:48pm
You guys just don't get it. 

It was the staff in the stables fault. It was dark, early in the morning & the wrong horse was doped..................
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:48pm
Blah blah blah. Of course hes not guilty. Anyone to frame a market on the excuse that will result in only a fine for him?
Also, how stupid to still be using cobalt after Darren Smith getting caught. At least other trainers stopped using it and copped the losses.
Also, Waller was protected from the media after his positive yet Moody cops it. Why was Waller protected?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Blah blah blah. Of course hes not guilty. Anyone to frame a market on the excuse that will result in only a fine for him?
Also, how stupid to still be using cobalt after Darren Smith getting caught. At least other trainers stopped using it and copped the losses.
Also, Waller was protected from the media after his positive yet Moody cops it. Why was Waller protected?

A step ahead of you ...

$1.04 that Moody doesn't get anything more than a slap on the wrist. He's not small-time enough to get a suspension.
http://https://twitter.com/MattNicholls29/status/554904310379593728

Moody excuses market
$1.20 - staff member
$2.50 - feed contamination
$8.00 - intruder
$101 - admits guilt
http://https://twitter.com/MattNicholls29/status/554904820146917377

The Insider View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:53pm
This is a surprise, because his team seems to be hitting form recently after a lean period. But when you are no longer the flavour of the month, you become a target. Bet two other stables are cheering this setback
Group 1 Selections View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Group 1 Selections Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:54pm
Colbalt is the most serious drug currently in Australian racing. It cannot be used for anything but performance enhancing
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:54pm
Embedded image permalink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:56pm
Should also be noted that cobalt isn't new. It's been around for years. Australian authorities were just a bit slow off the mark.
Morston View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by MelbourneRacing MelbourneRacing wrote:

Should also be noted that cobalt isn't new. It's been around for years. Australian authorities were just a bit slow off the mark.

Trainers weren't though
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:06pm
Front page on the Age website. RVL and co will be loving the exposure for racing Thumbs Up
SYT View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:07pm

Why would it explain a lot? Because of the bleed?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by SYT SYT wrote:

Why would it explain a lot? Because of the bleed?

Would just confirm a couple of rumours that went around in the spring.
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:14pm

?

The Moody positive was for a horse from the Spring Carnival, and we're notified on 13th Jan.  Also, it was the Moody stable itself that informed us.  No indication that the authorities are out to get him.
TBV - where it is the Silly Season all year round.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:16pm
That awkward moment when you dope a horse and it runs second ...

http://rv.racing.com/news/2015-01-13/stewards-report---peter-moody

Racing Victoria Stewards have received a report from Racing Analytical Services Limited (RASL) confirming that a prohibited substance has been detected in a sample collected from the Peter Moody trained racehorse, Lidari.

The report relates to a post-race urine sample taken from Lidari when the horse finished second in the Turnbull Stakes over 2000 metres at Flemington Racecourse on Saturday, 4 October 2014.

RASL reported that the urine sample contained Cobalt (an essential mineral nutrient which affects multiple body systems and is toxic at high dosages) at a concentration in excess of 200 micrograms per litre in urine which is a prohibited substance in accordance with the  Rules of Racing.

The sample was tested at the Chem Centre in Western Australia and was confirmed by the Hong Kong Jockey Club Laboratory.

Racing Victoria Stewards have advised Mr Moody of the findings and they are continuing their investigation.

Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:19pm
Moody had a runner over the spring carnival...??? really...lol

things must be looking up for him.
Panspermia.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:19pm
I think the lawyers are being bandied about. One thread already locked down.
Sunline...simply supreme
Group 1 Selections View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Group 1 Selections Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:19pm
I think this is different from most other high profile doping case in Australia in that this is a banned substance not a non raceday treatment substance. Am also pretty sure cobalt is not something will be found in feed as a supplement. But the drug is a performance enhancer only.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:21pm
You're right on all accounts, G1S.  The only possible argument is the horse itself naturally produced more cobalt than the threshold, which I'm sure scientists can defeat with science, unless it's very close to the threshold.
Sunline...simply supreme
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:22pm
How on earth did a banned performance enhancing chemical find it's way into his horse's bloodstream...??

the mind boggles, it really doesn't.

Panspermia.
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:23pm
Hmm, no point in commenting until we know how much above 200 it was.
TBV - where it is the Silly Season all year round.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

How on earth did a banned performance enhancing chemical find it's way into his horse's bloodstream...??

the mind boggles, it really doesn't.

A horse naturally produces a small amount.  that's why there's a threshold.
Sunline...simply supreme
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:38pm

Throw the book at him. Heres your chance racing to prove its one rule for all....

Exactly.
A real test to see how fair dinkum this industry is.
Cobalt is a cheats drug.
He hasn't been found guilty yet so lets see how this unfolds.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Geraldo Geraldo wrote:

?

The Moody positive was for a horse from the Spring Carnival, and we're notified on 13th Jan.  Also, it was the Moody stable itself that informed us.  No indication that the authorities are out to get him.

Not sure I follow you Geraldo. I didn't say anyone was out to get him.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 8:02pm
I don't think the horse can produce any (aka we don't make elements in our bloodstream people!) what we're suggesting is that there's a trace of this element in the hay and grain etc and I believe 200 is VERY generous; no excuse; what does the minimum penalty thing they took on say about this?
to the victor
monsoon View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 8:06pm
how is cobalt administered.

injection , topical cream, nasal spray, ingested?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 224>