Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

MM Women Only Race

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MM Women Only Race
    Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 10:42am

MAGIC MILLIONS LAUNCH WORLD FIRST WOMEN ONLY RACE

Media Release
Sunday, 20 November, 2011
For immediate release 

Magic Millions will launch the world's first women's only incentive thoroughbred race - Magic Millions Racing Women (MMRW) 2YO Classic at the 2013 carnival.

The race has been introduced by Magic Millions owners Katie Page-Harvey and Gerry Harvey to incentivise women to own horses within the thoroughbred industry and drive interest from women about the broader scope of employment opportunities that the racing industry offers.

The Magic Millions Racing Women (MMRW) 2YO Classic running in 2013 will have a Magic Millions Racing Women's Bonus incentive of $500,000, which will be distributed between the top four "all female owned or leased" horses in finishing order of the $2 million BMW Magic Millions 2YO Classic. Once there are enough horses owned by women to compete in a women's only race, Magic Millions will create this into the future.

The prizemoney for the first four 100% female owned horses over the line will receive: 1st - $325,000, 2nd - $100,000, 3rd - $50,000, 4th - $25,000. This prizemoney will be on top of any earned as per the usual conditions of the Magic Millions 2YO Classic in January, 2013. It will initially be regarded as a "race within a race."

Magic Millions owner Katie Page-Harvey believes that becoming a thoroughbred owner can introduce women to a new world of opportunities. Katie Page-Harvey has historically been a strong advocate for women; particularly in the sports in which she is heavily involved, such as the National Rugby League Women in League initiative.

Now Page-Harvey is aiming to encourage and incentivise women to get involved in thoroughbred racing by holding an information session at Magic Millions 2012 to help guide and better support them in the industry. The purpose is to demystify this very lucrative industry for women, providing an entry point through education and a substantial financial incentive.

Magic Millions owner Gerry Harvey said that becoming a thoroughbred owner can introduce women to a new world of opportunities.

"This bonus is a world first and we are excited about its launch and how it will grow in the coming years. Racehorse ownership over the years has been dominated by men – but we know the sport is loved by women and this $500,000 bonus is a great incentive," Harvey said.

Magic Millions Managing Director Vin Cox says, "So many Australians go to the races and they have a fantastic time but don‟t understand the process behind how horses get to this point."

"We want this new Women‟s Race initiative to be embraced and add more glamour and excitement to one of Australia‟s best carnivals."

"The thrill of owning a winner is amazing. We want more women to experience this thrill and with the new $500,000 bonus for the 2013 BMW Magic Millions 2YO Classic that thrill can get so much bigger and better."

Champion Sydney based horsewoman Gai Waterhouse said she was excited about the new initiative announced by Magic Millions.

"The team from Magic Millions has always been a leader in innovation with its wonderful carnival and this new incentive is terrific."

"The race series was a world first when it was introduced by Magic Millions and this Women's Bonus and Race is another world first. The $500,000 bonus is a great incentive for women to become further involved through ownership of a horse in our wonderful industry."

"Can you imagine a horse winning the Magic Millions 2YO Classic next year and winning $1.14 million for first prize money and also scooping a $325,000 bonus for being the first female owned horse over the line?"

Women who are interested in the initiative can receive more detail by attending the Magic Millions Racing Women Area at the New Owners Information Day on January 8th to learn more about how they can become owners or pursue other aspects of employment in the industry such as training, jockeying, strapping, book-making or even through racing fashion. The event will be an opportunity for women to hear from racing experts including Gai Waterhouse and Katie Page-Harvey about their personal experiences as part of the racing world.

Full details and conditions of the race and bonus can be found in the catalogue for the Gold Coast Yearling Sale.

Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 10:45am
A fair dinkum joke.

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 10:48am
This does my head in a bit.  How is having a single race open to horses exclusively owned by women meant to encourage women into ownership?  To me it just creates an environment open to abuse.  You will see horses suddenly have their ownership transferred into wives/daughters names to qualify then revert back afterwards.

Might sound like a good idea on the surface but I don't see it being sustainable.
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 10:57am
Sex-change people allowed? 

Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 11:01am
Depends RH.  Are we talking about people who used to be a woman or a man?
jayzaa View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayzaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 11:06am
if the word gets out, a lot of women might stop throwing their money into slot machines and get out and get a life
www.keffelstein.com

gotta live the dream
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 11:11am
this is a joke.

as said on telly, if you got a precocious one, put it in the missus name (they take everything anyway) and get some bonuses.

Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 11:25am
Magic Millions franchise is a joke, can't even get group status for their races, this latest piece of Harvey ideology is nothing more than last years "closing down sale" sign.

SPRINTER SACRE - "SIMPLY THE BEST"
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 11:56am
I would made the comment about transferring ownership to women in the family but can see that point has already been bought up.

Will not be a male MM owner to be seen on the day but afterwards everything will be moved back around.

Just open to too much abuse.
tessa View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 2:35pm
You never know it might just get the otherwise non-interested partners to go along to the races and learn all about racing, and if there horses don't do well they just might come along to the sales next year to pick there own yearlings and bring more girlfriends along to join in the fun. Even if there partners are paying. No harm in trying I saySmile
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 2:59pm
Women can buy, train, back, breed or syndicate horse's now, what difference is this going to make.?!?
tessa View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 3:17pm
Maybe just maybe its working already its getting people talking. Sure some already do as you say but the industry already has them its the rest of the female population. Maybe there are some women who were saying they would like to own a racehorse now they just might do it. No harm in trying.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 4:54pm
Just another way of pushing the buttons to push 2yos to race, and in turn push up sales at the MMs so the finer lassies can talk about their new horse over lunch darlings.

I am not against 2yos racing, just the big money involved - therefore pushing the young ones along before they have properly developed, but this gripe has been discussed before!Thumbs Down
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 5:19pm
I sometimes get the impression that sprint racing is a format that the TAB has fully pushed and encouraged for the simple fact you can fit in more races over less time for more turnover. Compulsive gamblers and a race every minute is the pinacle for gambling turnover.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Quezacotl Quezacotl wrote:

I sometimes get the impression that sprint racing is a format that the TAB has fully pushed and encouraged for the simple fact you can fit in more races over less time for more turnover. Compulsive gamblers and a race every minute is the pinacle for gambling turnover.

I think you are spot on.

On the subject of the thread, as tessa said its already created discussion.

If it gets 10 more owners thats 10 the sport didnt have beforehand.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 10:52am
Yeah, and it only cost them $500k.  Wink
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

Yeah, and it only cost them $500k.  Wink

As long as its them and not me ;)
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:03pm
Great to see this go off this year
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 9:17pm
A sexist crock of gelati.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Bi Carb Bi Carb wrote:

A sexist crock of gelati.

Tend to agree, if it were a men only bonus , possibly wouldn't be received by the broader community, we hope the women aren't figureheads for their partners. I understand the concept but in the current climate of striving for a level playing field maybe there is another way to get the fairer sex into this sport of kings and paupers.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 10:07pm
Hmmmm.   Breeder/buyer/owner etc ??    If it was a men only bonus the whole place would be in an uproar. 
Maybe a good idea to get womem in, but women are already in, big time. 
Biased and sexist. 
animals before people.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 10:05am
Noticed most of the pics have the men holding the trophy
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:05am
Whinge whinge
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:11am
why would i whinge when i am female ?     i just think its a bit biased..  and so easy for the  males to get around anyway.  just put it in the missus name .
its a bit like having the Miss Black America pagent.  if they had a Miss White America pagent all the PC mob would be foaming at the mouth.
after that massive waste of money called the vote for SSM, arnt we all supposed to be equal anyway ? 

animals before people.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:29am
I firmly believe a gay and trans gender bonus would bring a lot more colour to the races and fall in line with current reform , imagine a cross dressing syndicate winning the magic millions, the place would just go off. The jockey would have a disco ball on his cap instead of the Pom Pom , I'm a survivor playing on the public address system, book me in for next year, I love a laugh.
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Hmmmm.   Breeder/buyer/owner etc ??    If it was a men only bonus the whole place would be in an uproar. 
Maybe a good idea to get womem in, but women are already in, big time. 
Biased and sexist. 

Its demeaning and belongs in the 70's for mine.
Women in racing are held in absolute equal regard at the grass roots level in the job.
Track riders , trainers , jockeys , all of them are thought of exactly equally in the modern era.

what about that old cringeworthy classic , 'one for the ladies'  [tip]
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 7:56pm

why would i whinge when i am female ?     i just think its a bit biased..  and so easy for the  males to get around anyway.  just put it in the missus name .
its a bit like having the Miss Black America pagent.  if they had a Miss White America pagent all the PC mob would be foaming at the mouth.
after that massive waste of money called the vote for SSM, arnt we all supposed to be equal anyway ? 

What a load of tripe.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

why would i whinge when i am female ?     i just think its a bit biased..  and so easy for the  males to get around anyway.  just put it in the missus name .

What a load of tripe.

didn't want to be accused of bullying Smile, but since you said it

Agreed
Australia doesn't have to cross water to find our enemies ,

We've done a mighty job of importing them ,    allowing them to breed and join TBV.       
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

What a load of tripe.

didn't want to be accused of bullying Smile, but since you said it

Agreed

Bully away all you like.  You wont upset me.  I have thick skin and it gets thicker as I age.
And I stand by what I said.
Like a PP remarked,  I noticed most of those waving the trophy around and hugging each other were all male,  which begs the question.
How "real " is this ladies only bonus,  and why is it necessary ??
animals before people.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 9:18pm
I still don’t understand how you can compare that to the black/white debate?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic