Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Mares 'In Season'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mares 'In Season'
    Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 8:51am
Fenway
Rising Romance
Dawn of Hope

I've never seen it used as an excuse before when a horse puts in an average performance... another factor to consider before backing a mare?? 
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 8:56am
Originally posted by SYT SYT wrote:

Fenway
Rising Romance
Dawn of Hope

I've never seen it used as an excuse before when a horse puts in an average performance... another factor to consider before backing a mare?? 

Never seen it? It's one of the classic excuses. I've seen it dozens of times and that's just on mares I've backed so I noticed.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 9:01am
The one thing I haven't seen, now that I think about it, is a mare scratched from a race because she's in season. It's always after the flop that we are informed.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 9:02am
It's a well known fact of dealing with horses & ponies of any description but usually overcome in racing by the use of drugs which, unfortunately, often affect their reproductive systems so, damned if you do &.................
Occasionally the odd mare improves her performance whilst in season but it's rare.
Whilst in season, many appear more highly strung, moody & highly uncooperative in general.
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 9:04am
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 9:24am
Have one of our fillies in season this week.

Very distracted & can easily impact performance.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 9:34am
Do you think that stables have no clue that mares are in season on race day or do know and race them anyway?
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 9:38am
kazlick (sic) imo...
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Do you think that stables have no clue that mares are in season on race day or do know and race them anyway?

I would reckon they would  know,  ( how could they NOT know ??  ) ,  but once committed to the race they probably just feel obliged to race and give the horse and owners a chance anyway  .  after all , lots of them do go on and win, so there is nothing to say it will most certainly stop them.  With a lot,  it doesnt,  and how can you know until after they have run ?  Unless of course its happened with the same girl before .  Then you would question the wisdom of it .

animals before people.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

kazlick (sic) imo...

Like thats going to solve it !!! Cry  
animals before people.
marscay View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marscay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:23am
Should be in the gear change - 'In season - take your chances'
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:24am
A mare racing the other day at her past few starts has been agitated in the yard, when asked pre race by her trainer if he was concerned he said no not really, just having girl issues and had been rather 'horny' lately. I wish I knew earlier because I wouldn't of blown my cash backing her. 
This space has been intentionally left blank
jayzaa View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jayzaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:24am
Caslicking only stops them sucking air into the vagina. Has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not they are in season.
Regumate shots work though.
www.keffelstein.com

gotta live the dream
Delta Deel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Delta Deel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:27am
I think in Rising Romances case it may have been a bit far fetched she ran up to her run the start prior
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:36am
sometimes heat or travel can bring it on - often wonder what fillies were given as young'uns to grow as a lot of the spend far too much time in season  
to the victor
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:53am
You would think mares would not race as well in spring/summer which is their breeding season, however statistics clearly show they actually race better than in winter. Go figure. Perhaps the hormones are a positive.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic