Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

lonhro & 2004 australian cup - is this fair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lonhro & 2004 australian cup - is this fair?
    Posted: 10 Mar 2008 at 8:18am
read this in a preview of the australian cup for this year

"This year's Australian Cup (race 8) looks a particulary weak one. Compare and contrast it to 2004 when Lonhro beat Elvstroem, Mummify, Makybe Diva and Darren Beadman."

is this a fair comment brothers? it was a sh*t ride i remember
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

saints 66 View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saints 66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2008 at 8:36am
not fair at all.

he won.
go sainters!!!! this is our year.
crannypete View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2008 at 8:43am
he did brother but was it because of beadman or in spite of him?
Daz_ View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daz_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2008 at 12:09pm
that win was all lonhro's and beadman would prob agree, lonhro was gone for all money and he showed that day an amazing turn of foot to get going again and pick up the 3yo whom had the race shot to bits.
lonhro given no bother would of won that race by 5 lengths or more.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2008 at 4:20pm
thats what i reckon brother he got lonhro into a bad place then tried to take a half a run but the door closed and the horse lost momentum did a right hand turn in the straight dropped a few lengths then stormed home

he did have to beat beadman then one his worst rides ever

maybe hawkes should of tried hanging him out of a helicopter here like they done in hong kong
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008 at 4:46am
why dont any body take me seriously
bachi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008 at 5:02am
Totally agree with Daz, Lonhro won that race Beadman just sat there pulling all the wrong reins. 
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008 at 5:34am
Originally posted by crannypete crannypete wrote:

why dont any body take me seriously

Because it was years ago. Get over it or go and buy some Lonhro progeny to race if you think he is that hot. LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008 at 5:44am
brother i was bri9nging an article i readed the other day the article was new so thats ok to ask thats what a forum is for brother maybe i should look at you posts
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008 at 5:57am

Oh come on you were asking for it. Tongue

Lonhro still won the race. Lesser horses would not have won with the same ride. There is always a degree of luck in big races.
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008 at 6:21am
Originally posted by Wortel Wortel wrote:

Lonhro still won the race. Lesser horses would not have won with the same ride. There is always a degree of luck in big races.

Luck had FA to do with it mate.  The big L won despite the jock imo.
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008 at 7:13am
Originally posted by Wortel Wortel wrote:

i agree brother thats cool too i m very thick spinned

lonhro was a champion he did have to fight beadman that day i would of thunk he learned from his helicopter experience

i think i would be more scared of hawkesy that the triads
The Muffin Man View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Muffin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008 at 6:35pm
Whole-heartedly agree. One of the best performances I've seen from a horse. Was on the canvass and got up to get over the line.
"Well, I will never post again, if the Oz dollar doesnt go below 80 cents within the year 2012." - Occy22
Nazareth View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2008 at 3:48am

when you watch the video/replay of that Aust Cup run, you can see Lonhro's head moving from side to side trying to see a gap to get out through, horse spotted the gap to his outside (offside) and went for it before DB was aware of it.  Brilliant finish by both Delago Brom and Lonhro.

Nazareth View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2008 at 3:59am
oops, sorry, brilliant finish by both DELZAO and Lonhro.
The Muffin Man View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Muffin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2008 at 11:31pm
I still don't know how Big Lonhis got over the line first in that one. Was bumped from pillar to post, ridden horrifically, and still managed to find a way. The perfect send off for the Melbourne racing community to see, and didn't the crowd go absolutely nuts when they saw the whole thing unfolding down the straight!
"Well, I will never post again, if the Oz dollar doesnt go below 80 cents within the year 2012." - Occy22
Jolls View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2008 at 11:37pm
Awesome call of the race too. Goosebumps everytime i watch it.

Thats what racing's all about Thumbs%20Up
Season 2012 = 102 Years since Collingwood has beaten Carlton in a Grand Final.
Smiffy View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 12:47am

Omg Lonhro deserved to win that....its the jockey's job to put the horse in the right position then give him the run of the race....yet i agree,beadman screwed it up when coming into the straight....

When he was forced to the outside it was only Lonhro's speed and heart that got him to the line that quickly, the only useful thing beadman did was gave him a gap to get thru at the 300m mark...

Jolls lol i got goosebumps when i heard/watched the race too....
She's Apples View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote She's Apples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 1:36am
One of several bad rides the Dazzler came up with on Occy's little boy...Aust Cup, Queen Elizabeth, first Cox Plate and when Defier and Chris Munce beat them at WFarm. Mr Beadman is an infinitely better rider now but is he the best Group 1 rider? Not sure about that...maybe that will be his focus now
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 7:48am
i would of hung him out of the helicopter myself brothers only i dont have a helicopter
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 7:54am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R29NWNHXXS4
one of the best runs i ever seen brothers i love that horse heart as big as my testiculars
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 7:56am
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 7:58am
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 8:01am
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 8:04am
great horse but the australian cup in 2004 is what made me love this horse brothers
shadow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 8:20am

I still think he was a tad over rated.

Yes, he was a brilliant horse, won plenty of races and ONE of the best i've seen in the last decade,  but would anyone here declare him the winner in a 2 horse race against grand armee at WFA over 1600m-2000m ?
And Grand Armee was also a very good horse, but no champ.
their head to head was 2-2, and when Grand Armee beat Lonhro, he demolished him by > 5L both times.

Lonhro's Aust Cup win was one of the most heroic wins i've seen by a racehorse,and that was him at his very best...but his efforts in 2 cox plates and 1 doncaster were not very heroic, and the rides by beadman were not to blame in any of those races.....he would not have won any of those 3 afforementioned races, but he would have finished closer, that's all. 

Nobody will ever convince me that Lonhro was a champ when the blowtorch was applied.

Anyone on these forums who wants to reminisce, and have a Lonhro love-fest should contact Ray Thomas at the Daily Telegraph in sydney, he will be happy to regale you with all the Lonhro feats , while looking through his cerise coloured glasses.
Nobody waves the Lonhro flag like that bloke. He occasionally refers to Northerly or Might and Power as champions when mentioning them in his articles, yet he ALWAYS writes "champion" Lonhro. ALWAYS. I have been keeping track of this over the last 4 years, and believe me when i say this,...i have never seen more bias from a writer towards a horse while it was running, and even in retirement it continues.

TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 8:26am
I wouldnt mind owning a tad over rated horse who won god knows how many Group races.I think if he had won a Cox Plate,there wouldnt be many negative posts about.
Hidden In Hollywood
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 8:27am
Originally posted by shadow shadow wrote:

while looking through his cerise coloured glasses.

brother its amazing what a couple of nice dinners in a harbour side restaurant and a freezer full of chickens will do for your opinion

anyone got that inghams number by glasses are looking a bit clear and my freezer a bit empty

lonhro you were a champion
shadow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 8:46am
my point exactly. He DIDN'T win the cox plate,.....twice !

i was at Moonee Valley in 2003 in the rain that fell 40 mins before the Cox Plate that year. ( i was also at the 2002 cox plate, and nobody was gonna beat Northerly that day) 
Lonhro was $1.70 fav to win and all my  money was on Defier at $10 (who hates the rain). In that field were Fields Of Omagh, Defier, Clangalang, Zagalia, Shower of Roses, Paraca...

i had an internal dialogue and it was along the lines of this
" if Lonhro wins today , he's a champion, no questions asked....if he doesn't, how much easier does the Cox Plate need to be ?"

Now Defier still beat him home that day, running into drizzling rain, so when a horse running in unsuitable conditions still beats home the $1.70 hotpot in the Cox Plate, it made me wonder if people were too forgiving.
All the true topliners found a way to win at MV , but not him.

if he could have supplemented his magnificent record of minor group 1's , with just 1 major, i'd have been happy to call him a champion. the Aust cup was good, but it's not in the top 5 major races in Australia. so the doubt always lingers,....how can he be a champ, when he failed at the moment of truth, .....a few times

i was also prepared to afford him champion status if he won the 2003 Doncaster, but again, he disappointed (on a slow track, admittedly, but he was 2/2 on slow prior to the doncaster, so the conditions weren't to blame, surely).

his many wins in the 2nd tier group 1's were not enough to cancel out his failures at the absolute top level.

and yes, obviously, i'd love to have owned any % of his prizemoney, just like with Miss Finland,..but.... they both retired with double cox plate failures to their names..that cannot be erased from the memory
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 8:51am
So his win over Sunline was 2nd tier?....I just think the horse should get more credit,he isnt over rated.

Hidden In Hollywood
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic