Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Longest Flat Races in Each State

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Longest Flat Races in Each State
    Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 11:03am

Great to see there’s a 3800m race at Wagga today, the Riverina Cup Clap – now the longest race in NSW.

Interesting to look at the longest flat races in each state:

NSW – Riverina Cup : Wagga 3800m

VIC – Marathon Series Final : Sandown 4000m

QLD – Queensland Cup : Eagle Farm 3200m

SA – Yalumba Classic : Oakbank 3600m

TAS – Hobart/Lauceston Cup 2400m

WA – Perth Cup : Ascot 2400m

C’mon WA, time to re-instate the Perth Cup back to 3200m.   And I’m sure that in Tassie, they ran a few 3200m races from time to time…....the Mowbray Cup seems to ring a bell back in the early 90's back when their top jumpers were getting fit & ready for mainland campaigns 

Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 11:14am
the frequency of these distance races is the worry also, I believe the eagle farm cup is the only 3200m race all year...??

how can trainers prepare stayers is there are no staying races to race them through for experience, there are 2 mile hcp's in the UK every day, this is why we go there to buy stayers, because they have staying races with staying horses racing in them..

of course then they buy them, bring them home here and start them in 1200m races with blinkers on...:facepalm:...eventually they might get to a 2400m race, after 5 races at 1400, 1600m, 1800, 2000m etc etc..of course they will probably be sour or injured or dead by then though..

The Polar Bear Waltz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Polar Bear Waltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 11:16am
Tassie used to have the Great Southern Cup over 3200m (Elwick), and think the St Leger was run at Mowbray over 2600m (now 2400m as well I believe).
I agree it would be great to a least have 1 or 2 races at 3000m + in each state again.
Our strawberries seem to go best with manure on them.
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 11:49am
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 12:22pm
2 kilo spread at Wagga, bloody marvelous...Beer
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 12:26pm
Can't wait for this race ive been counting down for months!
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 12:28pm
Does anybody know the conditions of this HANDICAP ?

Is it a BM70 ?

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by SHOVHOG SHOVHOG wrote:

i stayed up all night for it...Stern Smile
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

Judging by the quality of cattle in the field it will probably take all night to run as well.
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 12:35pm
What a waste of $17,500
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 12:37pm

What a waste of $17,500

At least they are earning their keep over a proper journey unlike those pussy little 1000m squibblers.

reductio ad absurdum

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

Judging by the quality of cattle in the field it will probably take all night to run as well.

FMD I'll never get any sleep at this rate....LOL
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 12:39pm
Watching this will be 15min of your life you will never get back
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 12:50pm
Any ideas as to the longest flat race in the world? On an actual racecourse, not those point to points or anything like that.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Any ideas as to the longest flat race in the world? On an actual racecourse, not those point to points or anything like that.

the longest professional flat race that I'm aware of is the last race at Royal ascot, it's 2m5½f the Queen Alexandria stakes..

Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 1:18pm

Its a shame that 3 scratchings have reduced the field to only 6 for the Riverina Cup.

For the record, I'll back ARCHIBAR.  

He's by a true marathon sire in the now deceased MY PATRIARCH, who won several races over 3200m, including the 1994 Henry II Stakes at Sandown in the UK.  He came over to the Hayes stable for a cups campaign but broke down in the Herbert Power Hcp & went to stud.  He's a half brother to SILVER PATRIARCH (English St Leger winner) and PAPINEAU (Ascot Gold Cup winner), so hopefully ARCHIBAR has inherited some of that stamina for todays race. 
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Browndog Browndog wrote:

Those watching it live have nothing better to do.

I will watch it 4 or 15 times later when I have the time.

reductio ad absurdum

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

15 times?? If you watch it more than once then you need some serious help altering your life direction.
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Im sorry to hear that....
BrokePunter View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrokePunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 2:31pm
I will be on track on the outside rail 100m out. I have a sign what I sjould I put on it?
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by BrokePunter BrokePunter wrote:

I will be on track on the outside rail 100m out. I have a sign what I sjould I put on it?

Fiddle loves God
The Polar Bear Waltz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Polar Bear Waltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 2:47pm
[QUOTE=BrokePunter] I will be on track on the outside rail 100m out. I have a sign what I sjould I put on it?[/QUOTE

David, Ken, Brad, Stephen, Mick,
But I'll be backing Petrovic,
If the Chief doesn't run a place,
I'll agree 3800m is a disgrace...
Our strawberries seem to go best with manure on them.
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 2:51pm

Hi Mum
OrangeMonkey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangeMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 2:58pm
I think it would be a great thing all round for longer racesc. It would reshape our breeding scene , teach trainers how to train, good for jockeys . And just might get rid of this horrid thing in Australia called jumping. Nothing like its distance cousin in europe
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Fiddle loves God

LOL...cheers..!!
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 4:27pm
Who would have thought that the jockey that shows initiative would win the race.....
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 4:55pm
Perth won't be able to handle 3200m races.

Stewards will uphold protests if the protesting horse got bumped after the barriers in a 2mile race.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 4:57pm
Has it finished yet..??

Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Foxseal Foxseal wrote:

Its a shame that 3 scratchings have reduced the field to only 6 for the Riverina Cup.

For the record, I'll back ARCHIBAR.  

He's by a true marathon sire in the now deceased MY PATRIARCH, who won several races over 3200m, including the 1994 Henry II Stakes at Sandown in the UK.  He came over to the Hayes stable for a cups campaign but broke down in the Herbert Power Hcp & went to stud.  He's a half brother to SILVER PATRIARCH (English St Leger winner) and PAPINEAU (Ascot Gold Cup winner), so hopefully ARCHIBAR has inherited some of that stamina for todays race. 

Yippeee, ARCHIBAR!!! Clap     Bring on more of these marathon races.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Gee Gee Gee Gee wrote:

Perth won't be able to handle 3200m races.

Stewards will uphold protests if the protesting horse got bumped after the barriers in a 2mile race.

Perfect race for Ranger - Pike will be a lap behind. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic