Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

LNP government.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 597598599600601 760>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

... sorry, I didn't bother reading the SMH virtue signaling article.

It says that banks are getting out of coal. Super and asset management funds too.

They spin it of course as being good corporate citizens, but it’s nothing of the sort. It’s good PR, and it’s good business sense.

https://www.afr.com/news/investors-worth-1trn-say-no-to-coal-20180702-h125bm
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 10:56pm

Originally posted by Isaac soloman Isaac soloman wrote:

isnt it fortuitous the car manufacturing was done away with. look at the money/subsidies saved!

do you think the solar industry could survive without handouts?

the electric car mob are now wanting subsidies? when will it end?

oh, and the aged care now want robots to teach the oldies dancing, excercise and can supply petting animals. Can a robot be warmed up?

anything flesh and blood is passe!!!

You might be surprised at what gets a lick of government ice cream, Isaac. Everything from private schools and hospitals, to farmers and the mining sector, even banks and the real estate industry benefit from some sort of government largesse.

Not surprised

just ensuring EVERYTHING gets highlighted

and not just a select few

hey judge....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 11:01pm

Nope, investors are interested in growth, and that ain’t coal. It’s quite telling that not only is in industry getting out of coal, but they want to be SEEN to be getting out of coal. AGL are running ads that explicitly say it. And if you want to know which way the wind is really blowing (boom-tish), look no further than the banks.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/banking-and-finance/one-area-where-the-banks-have-got-it-right-curbing-coal-20180119-p4yymp.html

yes AGL want their investors to have a share of the subsidies bandwagon.

not much to do with being green and clean.  more money in subsidies.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 11:08pm
You seriously think companies are making long term strategic decisions, like closing down power stations, solely on the basis of the policy of government of the day, which can change at any time?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 12:22am

AGL: impoverishing the nation to boost its bottom line

The supporters of renewable energy continue to claim – as they have for the past 30 years – that wind/solar is or soon will be cheaper than energy from coal generators. Even so, renewable energy supporters continue to lobby for ongoing subsidies, which today provide $85 per megawatt hour on top of the spot price of $80.

Renewable energy, on the basis of forward markets, will continue to receive a subsidy of $50 per megawatt hour in the next decade. Work commissioned by the Minerals Council of Australia showed that a new coal generator in Australia would be viable at $50 per megawatt hour. This price is consistent with that behind the 1,600 new coal generator units currently planned mainly in Asia. Those new developments scotch the myths, recently reiterated by AGL CEO Andrew Vesey, that new coal would not be able to attract financing.

NAB, now under Ken Henry’s green oversight, says it won’t lend for new coal but there are plenty of other sources and anybody looking for such financing would start with the following top 20 suppliers:

www.spectator.com.au/2017/12/agl-impoverishing-the-nation-to-boost-its-bottom-line/
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 7:23am

Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

... sorry, I didn't bother reading the SMH virtue signaling article.

It says that banks are getting out of coal. Super and asset management funds too.

They spin it of course as being good corporate citizens, but it’s nothing of the sort. It’s good PR, and it’s good business sense.

https://www.afr.com/news/investors-worth-1trn-say-no-to-coal-20180702-h125bm

You are right, it is pure PR Judge, as all virtue signaling by corporations invariably is - if the focus groups told them that they would sell more widgets by saying they were advocates for child rape, they would say that too!Ermm

SMH, AFR, they are the same thing Judge! ... as I said, I have no interest in their virtue signaling or FAKE NEWS ... neither should you.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 7:26am

You seriously think companies are making long term strategic decisions, like closing down power stations, solely on the basis of the policy of government of the day, which can change at any time?

That would be an excellent argument if the alternative government didn't have a policy to DOUBLE the subsidies ... Embarrassed
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Isaac soloman Isaac soloman wrote:

AGL: impoverishing the nation to boost its bottom line

The supporters of renewable energy continue to claim – as they have for the past 30 years – that wind/solar is or soon will be cheaper than energy from coal generators. Even so, renewable energy supporters continue to lobby for ongoing subsidies, which today provide $85 per megawatt hour on top of the spot price of $80.

Renewable energy, on the basis of forward markets, will continue to receive a subsidy of $50 per megawatt hour in the next decade. Work commissioned by the Minerals Council of Australia showed that a new coal generator in Australia would be viable at $50 per megawatt hour. This price is consistent with that behind the 1,600 new coal generator units currently planned mainly in Asia. Those new developments scotch the myths, recently reiterated by AGL CEO Andrew Vesey, that new coal would not be able to attract financing.

NAB, now under Ken Henry’s green oversight, says it won’t lend for new coal but there are plenty of other sources and anybody looking for such financing would start with the following top 20 suppliers:

www.spectator.com.au/2017/12/agl-impoverishing-the-nation-to-boost-its-bottom-line/

The Coal Hating Global Warming Alarmists are blinded to the facts Isaac ... to the extent that they point excitedly at AGL as heroes for closing down coal fired power plants, whilst they hypocritically continue to dig the filthy disgusting stuff out of the ground and sell it to others to burn ... and why do they refuse to sell a "worthless" coal fired plant, when they are offered $250 million for it by a competitor who is prepared to upgrade it? ... that's not a smart commercial decision if "coal is dead" ... no, it's all about rent seeking, and the taxpayers foot the bill again.Dead 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 9:40am
Back in your ‘safe place’ at the Spectator, isaac . With no less than Alan Moran of the IPA. Saying renewables are bad. I’m shocked...shocked, I tell you.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 10:48am
all got opinions judge.

would you deny that agl not want to jump on the subsidies wagon for its shareholders?

as for news sources they can come from anywhere.

you shouldnt have such a narrow view.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 9:13pm
hmmm ... nowhere in the article does Alan Moran say that renewables are "bad" ... expensive and unreliable and unnecessary maybe, but not "bad" ... it's the Regressive Left who only stop to take a breath long enough from going "Rrrrreeeeee" to say how EVIL COAL has no future ... even though every other country is planning and building newer and bigger coal fired plants as we speak, because they want cheap reliable energy ... ironically, in step with their Paris Agreement terms which are to cut their emissions by ... NOTHING?Confused

Is anyone else in Australia getting sick of going broke being the lab rats for George Soros, or is it just me???Ouch
Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 1:12am
For someone forever complaining about power costs you spend an awful amount of time in front of a screen.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 2:48am
Thanks again for the words of wisdom softon  ... so I take it that you feel power costs are not high enough.Wacko 

I always feel smarter after I read one of your posts ...

Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 10:44am
I wish I could say the same😉
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 10:54am
I honestly don't know how people get huge electricity bills. I run everything I need for many hours a day and never get over $280. The only thing I can think of are very inefficient appliances/lights: air conditioning and pool pumps. I don't have air con or a pool pump so that may be where I'm going wrong.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 12:43pm
Our elecric bill never seems that bad to me ?  When I hear what others say their,s costs I nearly fall over !   Back in summer thru about 6 weeks of really hot weather, and 6 weeks of pretty hot days,  we ran our central cooling most of the time, only shutting off at bed time, and our bill went up by $1 a day, and we thought that was pretty dam good to stay cool instead of sweating away even just sitting in a chair.
I think pool pumps must run the bills up, just going on a friend with a pool, and looking at her bill.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I honestly don't know how people get huge electricity bills. I run everything I need for many hours a day and never get over $280. The only thing I can think of are very inefficient appliances/lights: air conditioning and pool pumps. I don't have air con or a pool pump so that may be where I'm going wrong.

People today want living rooms roughly the size of my grandparents’ house. All of which have to be heated, cooled, lit. Add to that efficiency issues, much the same as water. There are simple things people could do to slash their energy bill but they don’t seem to care.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 12:53pm

People today want living rooms roughly the size of my grandparents’ house. All of which have to be heated, cooled, lit. Add to that efficiency issues, much the same as water. There are simple things people could do to slash their energy bill but they don’t seem to care.

That reminds me of a friend of mine discussing his McMansion plans. I asked him which way the house will be oriented and where the big windows will be. To my horror he said West. When I told him he is building a solar oven he said he will air condition.Shocked
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 12:57pm
And he (and his architect) probably thinks an eave is something that happens right before Christmas.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Softy Softy wrote:

I wish I could say the same😉

Oh the irony!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 3:16am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

<div ="msg">
   Macca has not offended me .

100% stirrer, gets a bit boring at times.
He normally doesn't abuse people, may reprimand them.

So in answer to your question Bagman , no Macca has not

THANKS WHALE

Being controversial on an "opinion" subject , shouldn't offend.
It stimulates the right of reply.      
That is the lifeline of a top Forum , like TBV.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 3:57pm
TURNBULL is getting himself deeper into the mud with Energy.

Interesting times coming up .

If he committed to building a couple of Coal Fire units he might win the next election.
    But I see him hell bent on == Self Destruct .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

If he committed to building a couple of Coal Fire units he might win the next election.

Yeah, people are marching in the streets for coal mines.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 6:41pm
Mal may well make another Captain's Call and give some fossil fuel aligned mob with six employees $440 million to build a coal fired unit.   Big smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 7:00pm
Something fishy about the Barrier Reef Captain's call. Smells worse than utegate.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 1:27am
As I said elsewhere, the money is not needed, we cant do anything about the state of the reef - it is in it's natural state - there is NOTHING wrong with it that it will not fix all by itself! ... however, if he feels obligated to carry out some virtue signalling, it's better than giving the money to public servants and bureaucrats to piss up against the wall!

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:34am

Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Yeah, people are marching in the streets for coal mines.

Actually they are Tlaz.     The airwaves are the marching grounds in these modern times and energy costs are the NO 1 subject of complaint.

Plain to see what the costs are doing to our Industries.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 1:23pm
It's hard to find the time to march when you are working 80 hours a week to feed and cloth the family, AND afford to heat the home ... not an issue if you are a welfare parasite supporting the ALP/Green Collusion of course, you just rock up and collect your red T-shirt and bundy on for your tax payer funded ADANI protest gig.
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 2:00pm
I'd say it's the stay at home welfare recipients that can't pay the bills because they run their power all day Doc. If you're at work 12 hrs a day no need to leave the lights and heater on. Wink
Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 3:12pm
Well it appears they are the ones doing the complaining yes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 597598599600601 760>