Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Live Export Indonesia & Sri Lanka

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Live Export Indonesia & Sri Lanka
    Posted: 31 May 2011 at 1:02pm

I'm surprised no one's posted on this yet, given horse lovers are usually animal lovers too. Words don't exist to express my feelings on what was shown on 4 Corners last night so PLEASE take 30 secs to sign this petition but there's no need to view the video unless you feel the need to upset yourself both mentally & physically, it's as graphic as I've seen.

http://getup.org.au/campaigns/animals/live-export/ban-live-export

Obviously the whole show can be seen on Iview.

Edited by Gay3 - 04 Apr 2019 at 8:28am
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
HOWABOUT View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOWABOUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 1:52pm
Some action is already being taken, with a suspension of movement of cattle to the 11 or so abattoirs shown in the program, and review of the remaining 80 odd.
dishlicker View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishlicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 1:54pm
Maybe the people putting all this energy into banning jumps racing, should look at things like this......jumps racing is not cruel compared to this stuff
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:17pm
What is the problem exactly?

Once the cattle leaves our shores why should we get a say on how they're treated?

Isn't that up to Indonesia and their own lawmakers to decide?

How about keep the cattle here and employ Aussies to work the slaughterhouses. No that might cost too much hey?

Everything is an economic decision these days. Outsource to the max.
HOWABOUT View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOWABOUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:21pm
Dishlicker theRSPCA has been on this case for a while now

http://www.rspca.org.au/how-you-can-help/campaigns/live-exports/cattle-to-indonesia.html
mowie View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mowie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:31pm
we have a duty of care wortel,,,that the stock is treated even when they touch indonesia soil with respect as if the ywere in my home town abs,,,,

chris Armstrong waller, *drugs are bad mkay
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:37pm
What do I care, I don't eat beef.

All cows should be killed. They're disease ridden and have no nutritional benefit to the human race.

Freak crossbreed abbominations that are force fed refined grains in CAFOs. (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations).

Do you know that all cows milk is full of Bovine Leukemia virus?

Most cows have cancer, they're fed crap, they live in their own gelati.

It's just not good food.
HOWABOUT View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOWABOUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Wortel Wortel wrote:

What is the problem exactly?

Once the cattle leaves our shores why should we get a say on how they're treated?

Isn't that up to Indonesia and their own lawmakers to decide?

How about keep the cattle here and employ Aussies to work the slaughterhouses. No that might cost too much hey?

Everything is an economic decision these days. Outsource to the max.

It is a religious issue Wortel. The Moslem Indonesians require that meat they eat be slaughtered according to halal or Islamic law. The animal has to be facing Mecca when it dies and must be conscious. These issues are very difficult to get around and are not political issues
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:42pm
I'm aware of HALAL slaughtering practices.

The landscape of Australia is changing fast and HALAL butchers are popping up all over the country for our new muslim friends.
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:53pm
Do you think Australian horses don't go there to,for meat market?
HOWABOUT View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOWABOUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:53pm
Then why did you ask 'What is the problem exactly'?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:54pm
too
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by HOWABOUT HOWABOUT wrote:

Then why did you ask 'What is the problem exactly'?

The issue on HALAL slaugtering was not raised in the opening post.

I'm not going to watch a video of cows being killed.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:59pm

All cows should be killed. They're disease ridden and benefit to the human race.

Freak crossbreed abbominations

I would say the same about you warthog,but I would spell it abomination
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 3:03pm
Indonesia

In Indonesia, one type of satay (chunks of grilled meat served with spicy sauce) known as Horse Satay (Javanese:sate jaran, Indonesian:sate kuda) is made from horse meat. This delicacy from Yogyakarta is served with sliced fresh shallot (small red onion), pepper, and sweet soy sauce.[47]

jayzaa View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayzaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 3:27pm

What do I care, I don't eat beef.

All cows should be killed. They're disease ridden and have no nutritional benefit to the human race.

Freak crossbreed abbominations that are force fed refined grains in CAFOs. (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations).

Do you know that all cows milk is full of Bovine Leukemia virus?

Most cows have cancer, they're fed crap, they live in their own gelati.

It's just not good food.
CANNOT BELIEVE A MODERATOR WOULD WRITE THIS
www.keffelstein.com

gotta live the dream
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 3:56pm
Look up the grass fed beef movement.

Don't say my opinion isn't allowed because I'm a mod. I'm sick to death of such comments.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 4:16pm
I started watching but i switched channels after 30 seconds,I couldn't bear to watch the cruelty,the same reason i don't watch wildlife documentaries can't stand seeing the dwindling numbers ,receding habitat and poaching.
I also wonder about halal and kosher meat in Australia.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 4:20pm
Every creature born to this planet has a right to life without cruelty. Even if we knuckledraggers brought about it's existence through a breeding program for our own consumption.

Cruelty, under any guise, is simply barbaric.
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 4:25pm
Ok it might have been a bit over the top to suggest that cows be killed. Apoligies to everybody that might have been offended.

I just find CAFOs to be disgusting.

Do you know how they make a hamburger beef patty? I wouldn't want to tell u here as it might disturb you.

Free range grass fed cows are the only way to go.

If the cow is healthy it might not be as fat but at least the meat you're eating has nutritional value to it.
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 4:42pm
Worked closely with AFFA inspectors for about 10 years, and you can be assured that Halal and Kosher slaughter in Australia is both humane and hygienic.

The live export trade is simply huge, and sad to say the shipping conditions to overseas countries has been very ordinary at times let alone what happens when the sheep and cattle arrive at their destination. 
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 4:45pm

Originally posted by dishlicker dishlicker wrote:

Maybe the people putting all this energy into banning jumps racing, should look at things like this......jumps racing is not cruel compared to this stuff

Aah dishlicker, exactly what I was thinking throughout the doco Smile. The difference between the 2 is incomparable in terms of cruelty but probably far closer in terms of dollars spent.I've never, ever heard a horse repeatedly screaming in agony, nor do I want to Angry.

My God Wortel what callous posts you've made! The cattle didn't ask to be born nor did the dogs who are beaten to increase the adrenalin in the muscles then skinned alive for the same reason. How can you condone acts of protracted torture on any living thing? Oh, silly me, I quite forgot, you haven't even bothered to watch ONE clip so why even make comment on the thread. Moderator? How can one become a mod. when they don't even have basic morals?

These cattle just happen to be Australian as were those shown having their hind tendons severed in Egypt a few years ago which resulted in that country buying chilled beef from us instead.

I worked in an abb. where Halal was carried out calmly, cleanly & as painfree as death could be & btw, IN ISLAM IT IS FORBIDDEN TO EAT MEAT THAT IS NOT KILLED HUMANELY.

Whale, unfortunately I ended up seeing it as my OH got to bed just before me, knows we always watch 4 Corners & spent most of his life as an abbatoir foreman (boning room so all dead!). I told him I didn't want to watch as I'd seen previews & had a tape instead but..................... wish I'd stayed in the lounge now but my back was killing me!!

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 4:58pm

Ok it might have been a bit over the top to suggest that cows be killed. Apologies to everybody that might have been offended.  

I just find CAFOs to be disgusting.

Do you know how they make a hamburger beef patty? I wouldn't want to tell u here as it might disturb you.

Free range grass fed cows are the only way to go.

If the cow is healthy it might not be as fat but at least the meat you're eating has nutritional value to it.

For Gods' sake Wortel, look at just one  http://vimeo.com/24323166    (the hyperlink wouldn't work) then come back & offer commentExclamation

Nobody's disputing the fact that grass fed is far superior nor that they shouldn't be killed or for what reason. Protracted cruelty & death for pleasure is the base issue here.

Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 5:05pm
I'm saying I think the cows should have a better quality of life and free to eat more grass in open fields.

Sadly this is the reality of the demand for meat and the profits involved.

I don't think healthy cows need to go.

Cows eat grass.

Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 5:09pm
I'm off on a crusade trying to defend my earlier comments as usual LOL

I will watch the video now. If it stops freezing.
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 5:12pm
Ok I watched the clip. It was sickening, poor Brian didn't deserve to be tortured like that.

I hope the exports to Indonesia will get stopped.
The Muffin Man View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Muffin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 6:58pm
I caught some 'lowlights' of this on the news. I'm guessing they were the bits that could be shown at that time and there was actually worse as well. It's pretty disgusting. What part of their religion calls for the animal to have it's throat cut 30 times with a blunt knife, or it's eyes to be gouged out? Tail broken? Surely that can't be asked for by their religion specifically, it's sounds more sadistic than religious.
"Well, I will never post again, if the Oz dollar doesnt go below 80 cents within the year 2012." - Occy22
HOWABOUT View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOWABOUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 7:25pm
Muffin, the religious aspect is the timing of the killing before eating and the certainty that it was killed facing Mecca. What is happening appears to be bad management of the abattoirs and inappropriate untrained people running them.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 8:13pm
Sadism certainly abounded in the doco MM.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 8:37pm
how any person in their right mind could condone that sort of sick, sadistic treatment of any type of animal is beyond me .
its shows a persons worth by the way they treat their animals,,,or something like that , didnt Ghandi say ??
and these jokers are supposed to live by the Koran , which advocates kindness and humane treatment of animals ???
wow !!
wortel,   why did you stick up for live export,   in your callous statements ?  do you work with it in Darwin ?   thats where most of the cattle are shipped from, arnt they ?
just curious.
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>