Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Let's get healthy!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 31>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishyisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's get healthy!
    Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 12:52pm
Someone mentioned we should have a weight loss topic, not a bad idea, but why just weight loss, how about any health goals we have? Can ask for advice, encouragement etc. 

I'll kick it off, I want to get to 100kg by the start of the AFL season, so about the start of April. Only about 13 weeks away so would need to go just over 1kg a week (I'm about 115 now), probably a big ask, but hopefully I get close.

Just went to the pool for a session, had planned to do somewhere between 1000-1200, hit the wall at 800, was short of a run thats for sure! But least I got there and did it. Plan to have a 20 min run this afternoon followed by 10 mins of interval boxing. 

Planned to take an extended break from alcohol in new year, but have decided to start that early, New Years isn't a big night for me anymore anyway, will just spend it with the kids so I won't miss a beer or two. Going to try stay of it until round one of the AFL, Lions v Pies at The Gabba, might let my hair down that night if I've reached my goal...
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 12:59pm
There's a really long running thread already, along these lines that if you've the time, might get some interesting tips from, along with the usual rubbish these threads tend to attract Wink
Found it, Go Health http://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/go-health_topic43098_post798800.html?KW=health#798800
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 1:58pm
Forget going stupid with exercise, just cut out all the gelati you no doubt shove down your gullet. It's 90% diet.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 2:04pm
E&E.  I think eating healthy keeps you from piling it on, but if , like me, you have already piled it on, just healthy eating wont budge it without some form of exercise, I find.  You need something to shift it once its there .
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 2:09pm
Not my experience at all. There was a time I was up around the 110kg mark many years ago. Simply eating well saw me lost 15kg in about 6 months. Ask any trainer and they will tell you it is majority your diet. People go out and smash a workout and then smash a cheeseburger thinking they've wasn't it. Wrong. Save your money on the trainer and just eat properly and you will be fine. Once you're eating right then perhaps a little training will help you tone up but its a waste of time if you're still eating poorly.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 2:19pm
It is a very simple equation on the principle of energy in, energy out.

You calculate from your present weight and activity level, how many calories your body requires to maintain it's current weight. 

There are plenty of charts and calculators available online.

You then adjust down your energy intake whether it be from food or exercise at a rate of 7000 calories per kilogram of weight loss.

As your body weight decreases you recalculate your intake requirement and adjust your activity and food intake again. The lower your bodyweight gets the harder it gets because your intake starts to target a low base. Fat burning becomes more difficult and energy intake goes lower still to keep losing
dishyisback View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishyisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 2:21pm
Yes diet is more important as most people get exercise with just everyday life, but working behind a desk all day I need to get out and do some, plus it helps your mental state. I noticed a huge difference in my shoulders etc from swimming plus its nice knowing your fit enough to keep up with the young ones
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 2:29pm
I'm going away soon..yes yes hilarious replies...but I plan on getting some serious exercise done in this time to reignite my old love of flexibility and clear thinking, lots of sand work on the beach and tons of swimming in the ocean and body surfing...it's no fun keeping an exercise routine down in the city, it's harder than you think. So to the coast we go for some fresh air and health...

when at my peak ( appprox 70kg) which was several years ago now, my breakfast was a black coffee and one slice of multigrain toast with vegemite, the only other meal I would eat for the day would be a serving of crumbed or grilled fish on top of white jasmine rice and a handful of steamed veg like snow peas or carrot. I ate like this for years and was incredibly well and healthy, but I was combining it with running 5klm everyday and doing yoga 3 times a week in the evening. Never been a drinker but have smoked in between bouts of healthiness, but now non smoker and non drinker, and one or two coffees a day max.

Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishyisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

I'm going away soon..yes yes hilarious replies...but I plan on getting some serious exercise done in this time to reignite my old love of flexibility and clear thinking, lots of sand work on the beach and tons of swimming in the ocean and body surfing...it's no fun keeping an exercise routine down in the city, it's harder than you think. So to the coast we go for some fresh air and health...

when at my peak ( appprox 70kg) which was several years ago now, my breakfast was a black coffee and one slice of multigrain toast with vegemite, the only other meal I would eat for the day would be a serving of crumbed or grilled fish on top of white jasmine rice and a handful of steamed veg like snow peas or carrot. I ate like this for years and was incredibly well and healthy, but I was combining it with running 5klm everyday and doing yoga 3 times a week in the evening. Never been a drinker but have smoked in between bouts of healthiness, but now non smoker and non drinker, and one or two coffees a day max.

I have no doubt if I still lived in city I would still be as big as I was or bigger! Beach Sprints, get tired even thinking about them
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 2:41pm
This is what I did the time I most successfully lost weight.  Don't ask me why I haven't done it on other occasions too, because I don't know.  Clown

For a bloke, stick to 1500 calories a day.  You'll probably have a blowout once a week, but don't worry about that.  Should easily lose 2lbs a week, more in the first couple of weeks, but that is usually glycogen and water, or sumfink like that.

Buy a calorie counter book, and write down how many calories you are consuming.  I drink quite a lot of tea, so I'd usually enter a pint of milk at the start of the day.  (From memory a pint of skimmed is 180 calories, semi-skimmed 280, normal 380, or sumfink like that.  Just saying that as a for instance.)  Buy a pair of kitchen scales too, if you don't have one, for weighing foods.

TBV - where it is the Silly Season all year round.
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Geraldo Geraldo wrote:

Buy a calorie counter book, and write down in a diary or notebook how many calories you are consuming. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishyisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 2:46pm
As Browndog says it gets tougher the more you lose, that's what I'm finding now, so a blowout over Xmas probably wasn't such a bad thing, I have heard that blowouts can help kick off weight loss again..
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 2:50pm
Once the weight loss slows down, start exercising more.  You'll have to exercise more eventually anyway when you've reached a "stable" or target weight or else it will come back on. 
LR80 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LR80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 2:55pm
I would go for a 1 hour morning walk first thing in the morning. Then monitor your calories and start calculating everything. Make sure you have a calorie deficit of 500 based on your age and current weight. Drink plenty of water to ensure you aren't carrying any "water weight". Water also supresses your appetite. Cut down on sugars and if you have them make sure its in the morning. Cut out alcohol and if you have sodas make sure its diet variety.

If you follow that method you should be dropping 2kgs a week at a minimum.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 2:59pm
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by LR80 LR80 wrote:

I would go for a 1 hour morning walk first thing in the morning. Then monitor your calories and start calculating everything. Make sure you have a calorie deficit of 500 based on your age and current weight. Drink plenty of water to ensure you aren't carrying any "water weight". Water also supresses your appetite. Cut down on sugars and if you have them make sure its in the morning. Cut out alcohol and if you have sodas make sure its diet variety.

generally this is sound advice...however diet drinks lure people into drinking more...and there ARE calories in them...

my husband was very heavy until I had him stop drinking diet coke, replacing it with water in Summer and tea in Winter...also put a ban on those dreaded potato crisps, which are addictive and very fattening ...

I cut his sugar and starch to minimal levels, stepped up water and tea (a natural diuretic) ..then we would go and play golf for four hours in 30 degree weather...pulling buggies...stripped the pounds off...he lost twenty kilos doing it...(then I got pregnant and HE ate for two..put it all back on..Angry)

my philosophy has always been: if you cheat and eat, you move the feet...in other words, earn the right to have an indulgence by extra exercise...any exercise...

swimming won't actually cause you to lose weight...(it actually triggers hunger and because you are not building body temperature in cold water, it doesn't burn a lot of calories)...but swimming is a great aerobic exercise, arm-muscle toner and mental refresher...so the more you do, the better you feel...

the question always is: do you need all that extra food or are your taste buds overriding common sense...?

Pig

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by LR80 LR80 wrote:

activity before breakfast helps to get the metabolism going and promotes weight loss, IMO
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by dishyisback dishyisback wrote:

Yes diet is more important as most people get exercise with just everyday life, but working behind a desk all day I need to get out and do some, plus it helps your mental state. I noticed a huge difference in my shoulders etc from swimming plus its nice knowing your fit enough to keep up with the young ones

never sit for more than 1 hour without standing up and walking around.
Try working behind your desk standing
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 3:50pm
Would rather be dead than miss out on the good things in life. Each to their own, but some of your calorie counting and banning certain things sounds like hell to me.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Would rather be dead than miss out on the good things in life. Each to their own, but some of your calorie counting and banning certain things sounds like hell to me.

you don't have to ban them if you earn them...

I love exercise so never worry if I want to eat something good...but then I've always preferred coleslaw to cake...chops instead of chips... prawns before pizza... 

and cereal is only good for horses...Wink

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

So does a heart attack.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 4:08pm
as I posted in another thread the 2/5 diet is the easiest way to lose weight without disrupting things much at all.

and has other health benefits
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

as I posted in another thread the 2/5 diet is the easiest way to lose weight without disrupting things much at all.

Agree. I went from eating garbage and getting to 110kg (not obese as I'm 6'4 but well beyond what I would like to be) to eating regular healthy meals and the weight just fell off. Healthy diet to lose weight, exercise to tone up.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 4:11pm

would Macca appreciate these other health benefits...?

Embarrassed
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 4:14pm
no, what Macca wants is a miracle not a health benefit Smile
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 4:21pm

no, what Macca wants is a miracle not a health benefitĀ Smile

Not bad from you.....
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 4:23pm
All About fitness.

I did 100 push ups this morning before I realised me Sweetheart went home last night.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 4:23pm
i think i need a miracle .  Big smile
so come N Y and all the food is gone from the Christmas indulgence , i will try and start eating healthy.  
where are you going Fiddler ?  north or south coast ?
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 4:31pm
 1st meal after NY, AA...

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 4:35pm
Embedded image permalink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 31>