Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Lee & Anthony Freedman to become partners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lee & Anthony Freedman to become partners
    Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 1:46pm

Freedman returns to training

Lee Freedman is making a comeback to the training ranks and will form a partnership with his brother Anthony to be based at Flemington.

The Hall Of Famer has spent the past three years on the peripheral of the sport as mostly an advisor to high profile owners including Lloyd Williams and Sir Peter Vela but is now keen to resume training once again with the partnership to begin on Sunday.

“I’m very excited to be getting back into training. I’ve spent the best part of three years reorganising my life," Freedman said.

"I’ve missed the horses, the people and the great mornings and have unfinished business in the industry.

“I’ve got a real sense of expectation, am keen, reinvigorated and determined to achieve as much as possible.

“I’m very upbeat to partner Anthony.  He’s my brother, an excellent horseman and we will carve a new niche in our previous racing history."

Freedman has won seven Melbourne trainers premierships with his most recent in 2008-2009 but the 58-year-old doesn't expect to rival the likes of Darren Weir, David Hayes or Peter Moody in terms of numbers.

“We will devote 100% to the small team.  This is the future in training, not huge factory operations. We won’t win premierships but want to deliver the very best results to our clients, old and new, whether it’s a maiden or a Melbourne Cup," he said.

Third on the all-time Group 1 winners list at 124, Freedman along his brother Anthony will also run a small stable at Pinecliff on the Mornington Peninsula.

“After spending 25 years in partnership with my brothers, the last three years on my own have been a great experience in so many ways,’’ Anthony said.

“But I’m thrilled that Lee is coming back to training and can’t wait to get back to work with him. We’ve both learnt a lot over the last three years and that will be to the absolute advantage of our clients as we go forward."

IT'S OKAY TO SAY NO.
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 1:56pm
Poor old Lee.
On the skids and back on the tools.
The landscape has changed,its probably what forced him out in the first place.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 6:21pm
http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/57/zGXZy0.mp3

Interview with Shaun Cosgrove on Sky
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 6:32pm
how many comebacks has he made now...??

djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 6:34pm
This is his first one.

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 6:35pm
I think this the first, isn't it?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

This is his first one.

no it's not...he retired and sold off the Mornington gig, then made a  comeback with Grahame Rogerson...then that failed...so this is the second comeback...or is there another as well....?? didn't he partner up with one of the other brothers somewhere too but that failed..
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 6:47pm
Did the Rogerson thing get off the ground, or did the ATC not register the partnership?
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 6:49pm
Which other brother does he have that he wasn't in partnership with before?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Browndog Browndog wrote:

Did the Rogerson thing get off the ground, or did the ATC not register the partnership?

Announced with plenty of pomp & a media frenzy but was an abysmal failure Smile
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 7:10pm
Good to see him back in the business.  At his best he was a great G1 trainer.  I hope he's got his life back on track again.  Did he suffer from depression, or did he just get tired of it all?
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Yes but I heard somewhere that there was a problem with the ATC due to  he and his wife still being in partnership in NZ
Group 1 Selections View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Group 1 Selections Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 7:33pm
Best trainer of his generation. Hope he does well.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 7:41pm
It is a simple fact that the steroid landscape has changed during the time he was away.
Vincent View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 7:44pm
Yes, repetition is something I've waged against here Sub.

However just to keep you happy I'll join the reiterative crew and repeat something that's generally accepted in the industry, ie that unfortunately steroids are no longer permissable and thus not as as frequently used as they were back when.  Not that I've made any specific allegation.

You want to makybe something of that, well good luck to you.  Smile
honi soit qui mal y pense
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

they raced horse together under that partnership, their names were in the race book...
Freefall View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Freefall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 8:42pm
Why can't we just wish him the best, back their horses when we think they can win and realise that what went before is gone - mostly.

They'll either sink, swim or plod along - it's up to their ability.

In this industry there are the takers and the makers - for most of his career he has been a maker.
room for a slew View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote room for a slew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 8:55pm
Anthony needs all the help he can get.

kohidini would be a potentially nice stayer with a better trainer.

oh the days of le zagellta, chong tong, mummify, super impressive, I guess the diva and co. !
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 10:14pm
Steroids were legal back in the day.  And you must remember he trained one Subzero a long time ambassador for racing.  He must of done something right as this loveable charactor wasn't soured  etc.  It would be lovely if he could get back to his best.  I wish him all the luck in this world.  
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by room for a slew room for a slew wrote:

Anthony needs all the help he can get.

kohidini would be a potentially nice stayer with a better trainer.

oh the days of le zagellta, chong tong, mummify, super impressive, I guess the diva and co. !

The other 3 fair enough but Chong Tong?! That brings back vague memories! Who was it racing against back then? Totally forgotten it!
"She's going through a growth phase." - GW
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 10:30pm
Chong tong a welter horse from memory..
The Insider View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 12:23am
Alighi. Bint Marscay. Danzero. Mahogany. Chong Tong. That sounds like a great group
bobsghost View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobsghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 1:07pm
chong tong a gunna...i beat it with a class 3 mare from nq on mm day in the trophy
James Bond Esq View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 1:45pm
I am not sure Lee has what it takes anymore. I mean for the early mornings etc. Was great in his day. But he seems to be having an idea and then changing and doing something else consistently now...

Does he really know what he wants to do?
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 2:22pm
I give it 6 months, Lee will get bored and move on. again.
IT'S OKAY TO SAY NO.
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 2:22pm
[QUOTE=James Bond Esq]I am not sure Lee has what it takes anymore. I mean for the early mornings etc. Was great in his day. But he seems to be having an idea and then changing and doing something else consistently now...

Does he really know what he wants to do?[/QUOTE]

I suspect not, but I wish him well and hope he can find some enthusiasm for it.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 2:59pm
Chong Tong was not quite up to some of those others listed, but he was quite a good galloper.

He defeated Rubitano and Royal Code in the Bobby Lewis who were both very good racehorses.

He was 4th one day in a G2 behind Our Egyptian Raine, Brief Embrace and Thorn Park which is pretty good form.

He was decent, but not sure how he was mentioned in the same sentence as Mummify and Makybe Diva.
James Bond Esq View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 3:28pm
Didn't Chong Tong beat North Boy at Flemington once.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 8:32pm
Ah Royal Code and Our Egyptian Raine were kind of decent from memory. Chong Tong must have been useful, but how he gets a mention with the others is pretty funny.
"She's going through a growth phase." - GW
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 8:35pm
OER - super mare
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic