Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Leader Bias NOT fast lanes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leader Bias NOT fast lanes.
    Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 11:44am
Wanted to chat about leader bias and whether its fact or fictional.
Is their such a thing or is it time and horse related ?
If they run slow enough sectionals its a physical impossibility for backmarkers to run on.
If the best horse is leading its impossible for the backmarkers to run on as they are not good enough.
An example is a day when the first 4 favorites are all leaders and it wouldn't matter what track they were running on they would lead and win, suddenly the track is tarred for the day as a distinct leader bias track. 
Most so called educated punters trainers and jockeys are not actually educated at all they are just sheep listening to whatever is blurted out of the first so called professionals mouth.  I see it week in week out where a horse comes out, leads and wins and the radio or TV presenter says oh it looks like you have to be on the pace to win, ( take a look at the form you idiot / no speed and the horse led and won its last start, gezzzzz )  
Where is the scientific explanation of a leaders BIAS track and how it can be corrected, we hear a track manager get criticized for producing a leader biased track yet no one on earth seems to be able to give any sort of explanation of how and why this modern day phenomenon can happen.
Can anyone give me an explanation as to why a track flavors leaders ? Nothing to do with fast lanes or inside and outside of a track been faster i understand that can be a factor we are strictly talking leader bias. cheers   

spinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 11:56am
A classic example was moruya yesterday where the first four winners were all leading or on the speed and the caller and tipsters were saying its a leaders track today and you have to be on the speed, 3 of the first 4 winners were favorites and simply to good the other a lightly raced horse coming back from a spell that showed speed at its first start. Bingo the next 4 horses came from off the pace on a leader bias track that was not actually leader bias at all just another example of uneducated sheep. Watch the replays. 
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 12:08pm
Leader bias is a complete nonsense!! And even so called expert trainers and jockeys fall into all the time!! Will give a break to some courses like the valley when rail is out to maximum!! It can help a leader if it gets its own way!! But normally no it's as you said a bunch of sheep following each other, a bit like these jockeys walking tracks in the middle of summer?? (Trainers included) they walk up the straight 1/200 mtr and come in armed with all this knowledge? What knowledge? The track is good!! There will b. No difference. Then one or two win down the centre? And we then have a swoopers track. It gets shouted by broadcasters. And all jockeys and trainers then follow like sheep. You then have every horse with a winning chance going to centre!! Percentage says winners will all come down the centre until someone backs there judgment in and takes a shortcut on a good chance! Just the way the partiapants play the game in the industry!! No one has much judgement.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 12:10pm
You didn't see Bart Cummings or tommy smith walk tracks. But today jockeys wait for cameras to get set up and go out in front of cameras to get publicity
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 12:28pm
Most bias is lane related. When the inside is faster then leaders do tend to dominate. There are occasions where there is leader bias that is not lane related, but not as common.
spinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:01pm
track walking looks professional and i would always do it as the trainers and owners notice it. How you can establish the fast lanes with your heel is beyond me but if you ride a few winners you will be touted as an outstanding track walker, ah yes one of the best in the business. 
spinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Straight arrow Straight arrow wrote:

Leader bias is a complete nonsense!! And even so called expert trainers and jockeys fall into all the time!! Will give a break to some courses like the valley when rail is out to maximum!! It can help a leader if it gets its own way!! But normally no it's as you said a bunch of sheep following each other, a bit like these jockeys walking tracks in the middle of summer?? (Trainers included) they walk up the straight 1/200 mtr and come in armed with all this knowledge? What knowledge? The track is good!! There will b. No difference. Then one or two win down the centre? And we then have a swoopers track. It gets shouted by broadcasters. And all jockeys and trainers then follow like sheep. You then have every horse with a winning chance going to centre!! Percentage says winners will all come down the centre until someone backs there judgment in and takes a shortcut on a good chance! Just the way the partiapants play the game in the industry!! No one has much judgement.

Cracks me up, an overweight trainer with a can of coke and bag of chips waddles out to the 50m mark, skulls his coke and tells the jock and owners the fence is off. ha ha  
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:12pm
In the good old day when there was no such thing as bias I remember as I crossed from the infield to the Grandstand side I noted where the lighter shade of grass was and backed those who mapped to come down those lanes.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by spinner spinner wrote:

If they run slow enough sectionals its a physical impossibility for backmarkers to run on.

If the best horse is leading its impossible for the backmarkers to run on as they are not good enough.   

I disagree with point 1

I agree with point 2 to a degree.

Point 1, If the classiest and fastest horse is sitting at the rear smoking his pipe If she is on her game she should still win.

Point 2, I would say it is not impossible more likely improbable. 

reductio ad absurdum
spinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

I disagree with point 1

I agree with point 2 to a degree.

Point 1, If the classiest and fastest horse is sitting at the rear smoking his pipe If she is on her game she should still win.

Point 2, I would say it is not impossible more likely improbable. 

thanks for the input, im just trying get some answers as to what causes the leader bias if it exists at all, looks like it might be the same answer i get when debating religion. Its there i can cant give you an explanation. Cry

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:59pm
If it exists I would say uneven watering and rail movements are the causes.

reductio ad absurdum
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 2:30pm
I get Spinners point. What physical track characteristic is it that makes leaders run faster/better than back markers ? if you assume all horses first to last use the same section of track then only the pace of the race & individual ability should impact who wins.
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 2:32pm

Yes - but that should affect all horses the same. Why would front markers get an advantage from either of those things ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 4:08pm
The problem I see these gurus that rate themselves as track speacilists? Have u ever seen them walk the whole track or distance there horse is running? Because my thinking is that if there was an advantage,? The race is not won in the straight!! It's getting to the best ground for all the race!! And I have seen lots of trackers were the rail in the back is no good . But fair in the straight
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 7:51pm

Most of the time I think that's right.
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 7:53pm

The problem I see these gurus that rate themselves as track speacilists? Have u ever seen them walk the whole track or distance there horse is running? Because my thinking is that if there was an advantage,? The race is not won in the straight!! It's getting to the best ground for all the race!! And I have seen lots of trackers were the rail in the back is no good . But fair in the straight

Absolutely.
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 8:01pm

Darren Murphy always walked the complete track. Several jockeys do. But most just do the straight.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by anabel anabel wrote:

Darren Murphy always walked the complete track. Several jockeys do. But most just do the straight.
Just what exactly are they looking for ? And I'm not talking fast lanes. What is it that would disadvantage a front runner vs a backmarker - or visa versa if they all used the same part of the track ?
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 9:13pm
I don't profess to know what the exact cause of leader or run on bias is but could the quality of the grass cover and soil conditions have an impact?  Say the turf is mown a little short and leaders have a tendency to fire of quicker early sectionals, or on the other side of the coin a really dense grass cover might make it harder to run on?   Or even a shifty track surface?  I don't really know just throwing up some suggestions.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 9:30pm
rem there is no argument from me that there is a whole range of things that can result in varying track conditions. That is why it is not unusual to have track bias ( or fast lanes) - when there is inconsistency amongst these factors across a track. That is different to what Spinner posed. The term Leader Bias is often bandied about as if horses that lead get an advantage from the track conditions that others behind don't get. So when tracks are inspected arnt they really looking just for track bias ? And if so, leaser bias is in the imagination of those commenting. For example, why would it be harder for a horse to run on a track whether it led or came from behind on the same part of the track ?
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 10:57pm
They had some magic in the turf at Eagle Farm last Saturday .

The times they ran were lightening FAST.
Emphasis won the open 1600M in 1.34. 07 from last on the turn .
Winner of 8 from 43 .   Does like the Doomben 2020m on firm going so watch for that with Jeff Lloyd up, in coming weeks..

Takings ran 1.34.99 for a BM 70.
Snoopy won the open 1200 m Sprint in 1.08 79 . won 7 from 30. next run 4, so could improve further and win a weak one again, on that smart effort.

Every race to the time average = 7 races well above that mark .

Takings has won his last 3 , after winning only 2 in previous 32 runs .
NOT encouraging .

I won't be fighting to get on any of them , but you can't ignore "the clock " ever.
spinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 10:01am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

rem there is no argument from me that there is a whole range of things that can result in varying track conditions. That is why it is not unusual to have track bias ( or fast lanes) - when there is inconsistency amongst these factors across a track. That is different to what Spinner posed. The term Leader Bias is often bandied about as if horses that lead get an advantage from the track conditions that others behind don't get. So when tracks are inspected arnt they really looking just for track bias ? And if so, leaser bias is in the imagination of those commenting. For example, why would it be harder for a horse to run on a track whether it led or came from behind on the same part of the track ?

Thank you 11sit i argue this point till im blue in the face with some so called experts. They keep telling me your wrong spinner look for the leader bias but can give absolutely no reasoning. Is the grass to long is the track to soft is the track to hard ect ect
We spend millions and employ the professionals and the best in the business, we have access  to scientific soil testing equipment yet we just cant explain what causes leader biased tracks if they do in fact exist. 
We clearly understand lanes where grass is shorter or a track has a crown or fast lane due to irrigation but a uniform track thats leader bias just doesn't exist IMO.
Its a dangerous habit to base your punting around leader bias IMO 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 11:46am
Look if it's a question of grass being different lengths on inside? Would u not think track curators would rectify that?? I'm sure that would b the case. Believe me that does not happen!! And if it did? It would be considered incompetence
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 11:51am

Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Thank you 11sit i argue this point till im blue in the face with some so called experts. They keep telling me your wrong spinner look for the leader bias but can give absolutely no reasoning. Is the grass to long is the track to soft is the track to hard ect ect
We spend millions and employ the professionals and the best in the business, we have access  to scientific soil testing equipment yet we just cant explain what causes leader biased tracks if they do in fact exist. 
We clearly understand lanes where grass is shorter or a track has a crown or fast lane due to irrigation but a uniform track thats leader bias just doesn't exist IMO.
Its a dangerous habit to base your punting around leader bias IMO 
  Yes - agree. An interesting discussion. 
spinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 12:06pm

Look if it's a question of grass being different lengths on inside? Would u not think track curators would rectify that?? I'm sure that would b the case. Believe me that does not happen!! And if it did? It would be considered incompetence

a different debate, were talking leader biased tracks as a whole not lanes or different parts of a track IE inside or outside. looking at your post i have seen grass shorter and distinctively thinner on a track with wear and tear if the rail isnt moved and the same out wide where there has been compacted soil from ambulance and maintenance vehicles. Thats a definite bias with inside or outside better but leader bias on a track is a different story altogether.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 4:04pm
There is no such thing as leader bias unless trackers have a fast lane on inside. I mentioned sometimes certain tracks ie MV when rail out to full distance can help an on pace runner if the whole field does not chase to hard
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:32pm
I would expect all leaders to be on the fence when leading be it true or 10m out unless the want to sit in the "death seat", most times I feel the term " the rail is hot" is when winners keep on winning by getting rails runs as against coming down 4off the fence or further out, I'm also in agreeance re grass length, watching the horses around at the barriers you get to see how far attendants boots sink into the grass as well as officials , you would be surprised how deep they sink at times, if I can't see their boots imo it will give you a leader or on pace bias , that is until track levels out or it becomes more even , may sound silly to most but ch.528 is best vision as rac. com has the graphics covering the bottom of picture , funny how the term " track bias " reared its head after Mr Dermott Weld took vintage crop home in the early 90s.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 8:57pm
I have been in the industry to long!! No one has given me a logical reason for leader bias. I think it's made up from early results and race commentary giving opinions? And then the sheep follow. And always last couple of races get ramped up? And winner invariably comes from last!! Yes the old days Caulfield had a leader bias on wet tracks because the grass on the rails was a different typ of grass. That has long been rectified
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 9:34pm

There is no such thing as leader bias unless trackers have a fast lane on inside. I mentioned sometimes certain tracks ie MV when rail out to full distance can help an on pace runner if the whole field does not chase to hard

This is what I said earlier. Leader bias is 90% of the time inside lane bias.
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

I would expect all leaders to be on the fence when leading be it true or 10m out unless the want to sit in the "death seat", most times I feel the term " the rail is hot" is when winners keep on winning by getting rails runs as against coming down 4off the fence or further out, I'm also in agreeance re grass length, watching the horses around at the barriers you get to see how far attendants boots sink into the grass as well as officials , you would be surprised how deep they sink at times, if I can't see their boots imo it will give you a leader or on pace bias , that is until track levels out or it becomes more even , may sound silly to most but ch.528 is best vision as rac. com has the graphics covering the bottom of picture , funny how the term " track bias " reared its head after Mr Dermott Weld took vintage crop home in the early 90s.

From my recollection of that day Vintage Crop got track conditions to suit, not track bias.

The Melbourne Cup is generally not a race that fits into the track bias mode entirely.
Probably due to distance and temp over the distance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>