Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > International Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Kayla Stra and Breast Feeding Ban

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shammy Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kayla Stra and Breast Feeding Ban
    Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 10:21am
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/09/kayla-stra_n_3568079.html
And the decision was overturned with an apology.

Officials Overturn Ridiculous Ban On Breastfeeding For Kayla Stra Because Jockeys Can Be Moms Too

KAyla StraI come from a family of racing enthusiasts. We would spend the day after every Thanksgiving at Aquaduct Race Track in Queens, and I grew up understanding way more about the racing world than your typical young girl. So I’m not at all surprised by the news that a female jockey was discriminated against in California. Unfortunately that type of thing is rampant in the industry.

In what they are calling a “misunderstanding” between Australian jockey Kayla Stra and a steward at Betfair Hollywood Park, Stra was reportedly asked not to breastfeed in the women’s jockey room at the park. To be honest, the only thing that surprises me here is that Betfair Park even has a woman’s jockey room, which isn’t a common thing in the racing world.

According to Stra, who appeared on the Roger Stein radio show to talk about what happened, Kim Sawyer, one of the stewards, told her agent Richie Silverstein that she needed to choose between being a mother and being a jockey. In the end Stra was assigned a separate room in which to nurse her son and care for any other duties deemed unfit for the regular women’s room. Which is funny, because if you can’t nurse a baby then what exactly IS okay in the women’s jockey room? You expose was less of yourself nursing than you do changing or showering. And what kills me is this is all over the fact that there was one other female jockey using the room. A jockey that did NOT complain or have any issues sharing a changing room with a nursing mother and her nanny.

Perhaps the most surprising thing is that the California Horse Racing Board Chairman David Israel is taking this situation very seriously:

“Kayla Stra’s baby can be in the jocks’ room. Her nanny can be with the baby. And both the mother and the nanny can do all the things they need to do. The CHRB will not tolerate discrimination in any form against anyone for any reason. No special rooms. No one goes to the back of the damn bus. Period. In order for a new mother to do her job, certain accommodations need to be made. We clearly do not have a nursery at any of our race tracks, and I don’t expect them to be constructed any time soon. Not only can a jockey also be a mother, I’d like to encourage women to consider the possibility and the profession. It is the right thing to do and it is good business.”

These are very strong words, which is surprising to me considering the “good old boys” element of the racing world that is well known for pushing women out and discriminating against them.

I don’t want to hold my breath on the hopes that this is a turning point in the racing world for female jockeys with kids. What goes on in California is not what goes on everywhere, but for for now women like Stra will be able to exercise their rights there, and I think that while that isn’t enough it’s at least a step in the right direction.

Read more: http://www.mommyish.com/2013/07/09/female-jockey-kayla-stra-breastfeeding/#ixzz2YgvGjxHw

Please forgive me, as I'm the proud father of two beautiful daughters but I can't help myself.  I can hear the track anouncer now.  "And down the stretch 'mark' they come."Embarrassed

Edited by Gay3 - 11 Jul 2013 at 11:47am
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 10:28am
Has returned to Australia and rode a treble yesterday at Port Lincoln.

While in the US she had 167 winners between 2007 and 2017 with 2010 her best year when she won 54 from 523 starts with $1,045,148.

This year she only had 29 rides and no winners. Must be great to be back in OZ in such a way!

Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

While in the US she had 167 winners between 2007 and 2017 with 2010 her best year when she won 54 from 523 starts with $1,045,148.

This year she only had 29 rides and no winners. Must be great to be back in OZ in such a way!

Only back for a short while, will be returning to the US after Christmas
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

Most interesting.

Racing.con reported that she is permanently back but you may have other better sources.

I think she should consider staying on back in OZ where she has a very good family structure and one which would benefit her yankee hip-knawlers rather than battling away in Southern California (I think that is her base because she does have some other outside interests which are located close to Santa Anita Park in Arcadia). Also not sure if she is married but from what I've found indications are that she is a single mother.

Obviously her return to OZ sometime around September wasn't to much noted, but she did ride at Jamestown, Port Lincoln then had single engagements at Gawler and Morphettville. Then last weekend she a couple of mounts at Strathalbyn and Morphettville before having 7 rides on Wednesday at Pt. Lincoln.

She's had 20 rides in 3 weeks which is far active than what she was doing in California. She was at Santa Anita Park earlier in the year but her rides were sporadic. Her last ride in the US was at Longacres Racecourse in Washington State on Sep 9th.

Then again nothing rejuvenates like a working vacation back in your home state with people you grew up with!

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 10:14am
Whats a hip knalwer, Brudder A ?  Confused Never heard that term before Smile
animals before people.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Whats a hip knalwer, Brudder A ?  Confused Never heard that term before Smile

Spelt it wrong sorry. A hip-gnawler is a little larger than an ankle-biter or a carpet-commando.

Bwahaha
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 11:19am
Ohhhh, a rug rat !!!  LOL    Thanks Thumbs Up
animals before people.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

Her 3 month stint back home in OZ is over...

Final Stats as such:

94 Rides - 6 wins 9 seconds and 10 thirds - 31% in the money.

All her 6 wins were at Port Lincoln which included a treble on 18 Oct.
She rode some unfancied runners to be much improved - Tempting Faith trained by her father at 30/1 3rd and Desert Minty at 100/1 for 3rd and Quick Biscuit at 25/1 2nd just recently at Strathalbyn.

She rode Kingson twice for victories and rode her him on her last ride - his first at Morphettville.

I think she had a great "working holiday" and she is a fairly good rider. But in this game you need to have commitment and since she was only here for a short period trainers really would think twice about and hence I think she was left with the crumbs.

Nonetheless she was fairly active here especially with the need to look after her children.

I will be interesting if she gets rides at the just recently started Santa Anita meet in California.

GLuck!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic