Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Jonker - Looks the goods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jonker - Looks the goods
    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 2:51pm
JONKER (AUS)Bay colt 2015 
Spirit of Boom
Bay 2007
Sequalo
Bay 1990
Rustic Amber
Bay 1983
Thatching
Bay 1975
Thatch
Abella
5-h
5-h
Forever Amber
Chestnut 1969
Bold Lad
Ambergris
2-e
22>
Dash Around
Brown 1979
Bending Away
Brown 1972
Never Bend
Georgia Peach
19-b
13-e
La Perdita
Chestnut 1971
Showdown
Ballet Belle
6-b
1-m
Temple Spirit
Bay 2000
Special Dane
Bay 1994
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Razyana
7-a
2-d
Wing Space
Bay 1988
Bletchingly
Lady Dara
7-a
6-d
Temple Top
Bay or brown 1987
Semipalatinsk
Bay 1978
Nodouble
School Board
A1
23-b
Temple Black
Brown 1978
Without Fear
Republican Gal
4-c
1-l
Hearts and Arrows
Black 2006
Kempinsky
Bay 2000
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Tristalove
Bay 1990
Sir Tristram
Bay 1971
Sir Ivor
Isolt
8-g
6-e
Diamond Lover
Brown 1982
Sticks and Stones
Eight Carat
2-b
9-c
Villa Igea
Chestnut 1992
Papal Power
Chestnut 1983
Miswaki
Chestnut 1978
Mr Prospector
Hopespringseternal
13-c
16-g
Papal Decree
Bay 1976
Noble Decree
Gris Vitesse
16-c
21-a
Wycombe
Bay 1986
Imposing
Chestnut 1975
Todman
Hialeah
1-u
1-c
Cotehele House
Brown or black 1980
My Swanee
Eight Carat
8-j
9-c
 Ancestor duplications:Danehill4m x 3m Eight Caratx 5f,5f

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 2:19pm
HOW ?

reductio ad absurdum

max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 2:23pm
Now brown cow ?
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 2:26pm
I can never work markets out.

I genuinely thought he'd be odds on for todays race. He was the greatest moral since Winx last ran on a proper race course.

reductio ad absurdum

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 2:26pm
Todman/Noholme and maybe we finally have a new sireline?  Sure its a weaker line of Eight Carat but any broodmare inbreed to a superior female like his dam is can be a very good broodmare herself.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 2:32pm
Was sending emails around back in Nov trying to buy him unraced. Looked a beauty back then.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 2:45pm
I'm following quiet a few of the Spirit of Booms myself liked the look of them but missed this one and Ef Troop!  Oh well one of the three isn't bad but the two boys look a class above the filly.
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 2:51pm

reductio ad absurdum

djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

I'm following quiet a few of the Spirit of Booms myself liked the look of them but missed this one and Ef Troop!  Oh well one of the three isn't bad but the two boys look a class above the filly.

Ef Troop ran smarter time but I like the fact the fillies race was a high pressure big field contest and she sat just on the pace and quickened and held them off.

reductio ad absurdum

djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 3:17pm

reductio ad absurdum

therealkramer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therealkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Ef Troop ran smarter time but I like the fact the fillies race was a high pressure big field contest and she sat just on the pace and quickened and held them off.

Smart time only highlighted how biased the track was at Doomben. Would you honestly back Whypeeo to beat Pierata on a fair track over 1200m?
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 3:42pm
very smart horse.

a.bullock is ridng his share of winners up the line...but geez he was all over Jonker like a sack of potatoes. the horse was a bit green and wayward, but so was the kid on top.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

very smart horse.

a.bullock is ridng his share of winners up the line...but geez he was all over Jonker like a sack of potatoes. the horse was a bit green and wayward, but so was the kid on top.

Amazing how green he was, even when he was drawing away from the field.
He beat some very good 2YOs today with ease.

How good is he? We may find out in the Gold Coast MM.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 5:08pm
He won't see which way Ef Troop goes in the Magics.
Sunline...simply supreme
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 5:38pm
I don't think the 'good' 2yos in this race ran up to their ability. After all an unraced 2yo ran 2nd and Bondi was only fair in barrier trial and ran 3rd.

I'm expecting Ef Troop to bolt in.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 9:08am
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

very smart horse.

Amazing how green he was, even when he was drawing away from the field.
He beat some very good 2YOs today with ease.

How good is he? We may find out in the Gold Coast MM.

Yep. Tons of natural ability. May not be mature enough yet for a MM. Plenty of upside.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 10:41am

Untapped juvenile Jonker raced to favouritism for next month's $2 million Magic Millions 2YO Classic with a stunning win in today's $200,000 Magic Millions Wyong 2YO Classic (RL).

Jonker treated a classy field with contempt, winning the big juvenile feature by four and a quarter lengths and emerged as one of the horses to beat in the Gold Coast's biggest equine test.

Trainer David Atkins predicted even more improvement for the son of Spirit of Boom heading into the Gold Coast feature on January 13.

Sent out the third favourite with bookmakers the Newcastle trained youngster sat just behind the leader La Pomme De Pin before bursting clear in the straight for the easiest of wins.

Jonker is now unbeaten in his two starts after a recent debut win in the inaugural running of the Max Lees Classic at his home track of Newcastle.

At Newcastle, Jonker was sent out an odds on favourite after an astonishing 9.3 length trial win on the Beaumont track.

"I always liked him but his second jump out was very sharp and I thought he might be something handy," Atkins told reporters after the race. "Then he trialled super and has just got better and better ever since."

The win was a fairytale result for country jockey Aaron Bullock with today's victory clearly the biggest in his career to date.
"I’ve never ridden a city winner but it’s a good way to kick off and ride one that’s for sure," Bullock said from the winner's circle.

"He’s a horse that was never really off the bit until I asked him to let down which is a big attribute around here."

Connections praised Bullock for his perfect ride today and all indications point to him retaining the ride in the $2 million Classic on January 13.

"I wasn’t sure if I’d keep the ride today to tell you the truth so if I can keep the ride up there it would be a great thrill."
Among those celebrating after the race was part owner Doug Crich, the man who purchased Jonker from the Book Two section of January's Gold Coast Yearling Sale. Crich went to $45,000 to secure the colt from the draft of Fig Tree Thoroughbreds.

Jonker was bred from Wicklow Lodge by Jeff Cullen. It's been a remarkable couple of seasons for Cullen after breeding the Group Two winner and exciting young sire Winning Rupert. Cullen only has a handful of mares at his Queensland property.

Today's Classic win for Jonker continued the incredible run for Eureka Stud's first season sire Spirit of Boom, himself a Group One winner sold through the famous Magic Millions sale ring on the Gold Coast.

Only last Saturday he was represented by his first stakes winner Ef Troop in the Phelan Ready Stakes at Doomben and at the same track just over 30 minutes later Spirit of Boom's debuting daughter Outback Barbie won the Calaway Gal Stakes.

Jonker is the first runner to date for his dam, the twice winning Kempinsky mare Hearts and Arrows.

Successful up to 1600 metres, Hearts and Arrows is a half sister to the Melbourne Group Three winner Fair Trade - a high class performer who was sold and raced with success in Hong Kong.

Hearts and Arrows' latest yearling, a filly by Magic Albert, will be catalogued for the 2018 Magic Millions Gold Coast March Yearling Sale. That sale has also attracted 42 youngsters by Jonker's sire Spirit of Boom.

Also in Jonker's family is Impaler, a multiple Group Two winner by Dracula, who was trained during his career by David Atkins.

Years ago I bought a hearts and arrows necklace to wear when our girl Hearts And Arrows raced - sadly she never raced again so I have never worn it.

Put it on today to support her lovely son Jonker. Best of luck Wicklow Lodge!

Edited by Gay3 - 22 Dec 2017 at 2:03pm
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 6:43pm
The knighted version was hopeless 😜😭
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 8:50am
And I'm an idiot.  Had this boy of the list to follow - unnamed so missed him.  Truthfully I think that Ef Troop who is not of the list could be better and a more sensible racehorse.  He seems not to run blindly like this boy does.  One of the things on my list was Noholme or Todman in the mare and this one had Todman.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 9:17am
That said have Holdin' My Own and Lady McCabe in the follow list running today.  The first with Noholme and 1-n female line.  The second has Zeditave which I marked as a possible cross.
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 1:51pm
Owner's you have gotta love em, Aaron Bullock dumped for Millions ride (Hugh Bowman)

Connections praised Bullock for his perfect ride today and all indications point to him retaining the ride in the $2 million Classic on January 13. So much for loyalty
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
correctweight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 2:19pm
If your a big chance in a big race with big dollars I would be putting the best jockeys on no matter what.

They are racing for a million plus first prize not a 10k first prize maiden.

Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 3:45pm
Still won't beat Ef Troop.
Sunline...simply supreme
Mug-Punter View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mug-Punter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 6:53pm
Being on team Ef Troop will be all the more sweeter when Bowman throws in his typical (of late) bad rider on this fella to miss the place...
The Mugg
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 6:57pm
Not the dreaded early crow ?
Mug-Punter View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mug-Punter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 6:59pm
I'm not saying Ef Troop is over the line by any stretch of the imagination, but this fella isn't my biggest concern.
The Mugg
monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 7:57pm
Horseshoe, so are you seriously saying as the owner of Jonker that you would put Bullock on (that was his first city winner) ahead of Hugh Bowman in a $2 million dollar race? If so, you are a complete kisswit!

Don’t say jockeys and loyalty in the same sentence as they have none!
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 8:02pm
If Bowman rang me and wanted to ride my horse, I wouldn’t be saying no
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 8:52pm
Bullock was unfazed about it on radio although he did say they didn't contact him to let him know, which is pretty average.
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 5:09am
History is littered with people keeping average/ inexperienced jockeys on and costing themselves. It's a complete no brainer to put Bowman on.
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic