Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Jarryd Hayne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 11:38am
Note the similarities between Jarryd Hayne and Buddy Franklin:

Electrifying or absent.
Inconsistent.
Match breakers.

Not surprising to see Parramatta as the Hawthorn of Sydney and vice versa.
The Dude Abides
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 11:58am

Breaking news!!!!

Jarryd Hayne..........quitting the Eels to go to the Seattle Seahawks in the NFL!!!!!!
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 12:00pm

Jarryd Hayne quits NRL to pursue NFL career

Date

•  
&quot;It’s always been a dream of mine to play in the NFL, and at my age, this is my one and only chance at having a crack at playing there:&quot; Jarryd Hayne of the Parramatta Eels.

"It’s always been a dream of mine to play in the NFL, and at my age, this is my one and only chance at having a crack at playing there:" Jarryd Hayne of the Parramatta Eels. Photo: Getty Images

Parramatta superstar Jarryd Hayne is set to take leave from the NRL after being given a conditional release by the Eels to try his hand at NFL.

Hayne, who has withdrawn from the Kangaroos Four Nations squad announced on Tuesday, will tell a press conference at 11am that he has signed a "lifetime agreement" with the Eels so that if he returns to the NRL it will be with Parramatta.

Jarryd Hayne posted Instagram pictures of himself at a Dallas Cowboys NFL game in July.

Jarryd Hayne posted Instagram pictures of himself at a Dallas Cowboys NFL game in July. Photo: Instagram

However, Hayne said he could not let the opportunity to play in the NFL pass him by.

< id="titan-conditionalAd-300x250-pos-3" name="titan-conditionalAd-300x250-pos-3" width="300" height="250" border="0" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" style="margin: auto; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: bottom; display: block; height: 250px; width: 300px;">

"For the past 24 months I've been thinking about having a crack in the NFL, and over the last 12 months I've been seriously considering it," Hayne said in a letter to Eels members.

"Today I can officially announce that I will be heading to the  United States to pursue an opportunity to play American Football.

I will be withdrawing from the Kangaroos  Four Nations side immediately, and accepting a conditional release from the Eels to make the move overseas."

The 27-year-old fullback, who had another year to run on his contract with the Eels, recently visited Seattle Seahawks.

He said the reason he did not leave earlier was out of loyalty to coach Brad Arthur.

"The reason I didn't make this decision any earlier was because of the part I played in getting Brad to the club and the way we finished the season. I felt I owed the Club one more year and I gave it everything I could," he said.

"It's always been a dream of mine to play in the NFL, and at my age, this is my one and only chance at having a crack at playing there.

"I'm excited about the potential opportunities that lie ahead. I've known the deadline has been looming for me to make this call, and I believe the right time is now.

"I'm so passionate about the challenge that lies ahead for me, not only as an athlete but more so as a person. It's the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my life.   I'm leaving my teammates, friends, and most importantly my family; but for me to grow as an athlete and a person I feel this is the right step to take.

"It hasn't been an easy decision for me to leave the Eels, the club's been my home and family since I was 13, and I've always been proud to pull on the Blue and Gold jersey with my teammates.

"The hardest thing about leaving the club is there's stability for the first time in a long time, but I know where my heart lies and I'm following that.

"I'm always telling people to chase their dreams and follow their hearts, if I don't live by that I'm not being honest with myself.

"I'm leaving knowing that I have signed a 'lifetime agreement' with the Eels, so if I return to the NRL, it will be to Parramatta."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/jarryd-hayne-quits-nrl-to-pursue-nfl-career-20141015-1167mn.html#ixzz3GAPwabLf
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 12:18pm
What position does he think he's going to play? I'm no expert but he'd be too small surely?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 12:48pm
 running backs are not all big blokes...

fullback, perhaps...with limited opportunities...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 12:53pm
Fair enough. As I say I'm not really an expert on NFL. How fast is he? I know some of those guys are lightning quick. Fast enough to make the Olympics but Football pays too much.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

running backs are not all big blokes...

fullback, perhaps...with limited opportunities...

Could be looking at kick/punt returner
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 2:07pm
i think you will see him on special teams to start off and move to running options.

most rb's are 5''10 or so. 
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 9:13pm
Unfortunately this fellows all round skills will be a bit wasted in NFL. Not really tall / lanky enough to be a receiver.....definately not a defensive role.....most likely a running back although probably lacking a bit of size. Gifted athlete though that may surprise.... always been great on his feet & had that ability to break tackle....just so much competition over there....look forward to following his quest !
Refer ALP Election Promises
Tuft_it_Tees View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuft_it_Tees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 9:25pm
Hayne said he had only one goal in Rugby League, and he has accomplished it. To buy his mother a house. Helluva guy ! Thumbs Up
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 9:26pm
Unfortunately this fellows all round skills will be a bit wasted in NFL. Not really tall / lanky enough to be a receiver.....definately not a defensive role.....most likely a running back although probably lacking a bit of size. Gifted athlete though that may surprise.... always been great on his feet & had that ability to break tackle....just so much competition over there....look forward to following his quest !
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 9:28pm
Sorry about the above stereo response of mine......gremlins !
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 11:03pm
I think its a brilliant idea. NFL is booming, and if we can get a genuine star to play a position other than kicker, then it will explode even more. Its in a perfect timeslot too for Austarlians compared to following European soccer.
I don't care for league, but will watch his move with interest.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 11:44pm
OHHH GOD .

Is this bloke totally delusional.
    There are a million hoping to break into the American scene.
This bloke has had a couple of spurts of reasonable NRL form when fluking Qld in the last Origin but fair dinkum.   He is classes below many others in the NRL today.
He will be laughed at in the USA.   AND BUSTED
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 4:25pm
 I can't see Marshawn Lynch shaking in his boots at the thought of Hayne's arrival...

Muscles
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

I can't see Marshawn Lynch shaking in his boots at the thought of Hayne's arrival...

Muscles

Marshawn has his own problems as it is.....been exposed a few times this year.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 5:15pm
Would Haynes get in your top few if you were picking a team tomorrow.
    Is he half as good as Greg Ingliss and many others.
He is a real defence risk.   

How would he share a prize with Thurston [ about 5 grades difference ]
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuft_it_Tees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 5:18pm
Different game and hard to see how the suite of League skills would translate easily into NFL. But he does not want to die wondering, and he isn't hurting anyone doing it.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 5:45pm
 would be better heading to Jacksonville, Oakland or Tampa Bay...

they'd be more desperate for any talent...

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 7:52pm
Gee's your a tough marker Macca....an absolute stand out at Parra over the last few seasons & at least as good as GI imo . Even so, I also think he will struggle over there & would expect to see him back within 12 mths....hope I am wrong !
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 9:28am
As a life long Parra fan I'm glad he has made this decision. The last thing the club needs is to be paying a large chunk of money to a player who has lost motivation for the game.

Hayne is obviously the best local product Parra has had since the glory days but a long way behind players like Kenny, Grothe, and my favourite player of all time Steve Ella.

Personally I'd rather watch paint dry than NFL and know nothing about the game so I don't know how he will go over there. But he want die wondering!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuft_it_Tees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

As a life long Parra fan I'm glad he has made this decision. The last thing the club needs is to be paying a large chunk of money to a player who has lost motivation for the game.

Hayne is obviously the best local product Parra has had since the glory days but a long way behind players like Kenny, Grothe, and my favourite player of all time Steve Ella.

Personally I'd rather watch paint dry than NFL and know nothing about the game so I don't know how he will go over there. But he want die wondering!
Wot ? No Sterlo ? This is outrageous ! Shocked
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 10:59am
it is amazing the amount of coverage this is getting in the US. i did not even think they had an idea what the sport was and now they are having discussions on all the big shows. pardon the interruption and around the horn were two of my favorite shows when i had the time to watch american sport.

plus footage of hayne and inglis on espn website.

would love to say it would translate to a benefit for the nrl but i doubt it. still great to see
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 11:01am
I was thinking local juniors and Sterlo was an import, though the club bought him when he was still at school from memory. He played fullback, would you believe, in the infamous 1978 re-play semi final against Manly which was the first time I can remember him playing 1st grade.

But yes Hayne a long way behind him as well!!!
Edgehill View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edgehill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Tuft_it_Tees Tuft_it_Tees wrote:

Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

Wot ? No Sterlo ? This is outrageous ! Shocked
Lol as Daryl 'soft suing cot' Brohman would say...this is an outrage.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 1:10pm
Come on , get real.
   Haynes is an ok player only and does it in spurts. He can be bad .
wasn't long ago and I doubted him even making a State side.
   Also get real in that NSW were not the best Origin side last year.
Miracle fluke that I was pleased to see for the sake of competition.
At Least as good as Ingliss , YOUR ARE KIDDING
Grades inferior.
   Parramatta have a hundred past players who leave Haynes in their wake.    Sterling was all class , a real football brain and would be regarded as a super player . That won't ever happen to Haynes.
   Haynes is like Mark Gasnier , just short of it.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Come on , get real.
   Haynes is an ok player only and does it in spurts. He can be bad .
wasn't long ago and I doubted him even making a State side.
   Also get real in that NSW were not the best Origin side last year.
Miracle fluke that I was pleased to see for the sake of competition.
At Least as good as Ingliss , YOUR ARE KIDDING
Grades inferior.
   Parramatta have a hundred past players who leave Haynes in their wake.    Sterling was all class , a real football brain and would be regarded as a super player . That won't ever happen to Haynes.
   Haynes is like Mark Gasnier , just short of it.

something's wrong...I agree with every part of this...Confused...so right...

Sterlo is the only player I've ever seen play better than the perfect game...11+ out of 10...

Hayne is just an attacking weapon...Inglis is the whole package...

I think Hayne's ego is gone amuk...can't really see him even getting a start in special teams...

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 9:58pm
Mal Maninga would have carried Haynes and still been better.
Underrated workhorse Tate ,in his hey day was a better player than Haynes.    
They will use him for TV viewing in the US as they laugh until their sides ache.
   JOKE of the century.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 10:15am
Well you lot have to be kidding.....I don't follow Parra but I give credit were credit is due . Mark Gasnier.....show pony ! Talk about blokes only turning up to play when it suits them.....GI who ! And to suggest Haynes is suspect in defence is outrageous ! Question....how good would Hayne look playing behind a decent backline.....Souths or Manly say . The guy is a superstar....& good luck to him !
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 10:17am
& Macca....comparing him to Tate is like comparing a Ferrari to a Vdub !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>