Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > International Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Jack Hobbs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jack Hobbs
    Posted: 14 May 2015 at 11:17pm
I was waiting for Djebel to start this thread after these remarks a couple of weeks ago ......

He goes around in the Dante Stakes Grp 2 tonight at York.

"Jack Hobbs - The horse to pin our seasons imagination on. WOW!!!

He is Frankel Sea Bird class.

Obviously he has to prove it, I like going the early crow, he has the right trainer.

He will be a superstar.

Well I had not seen that comment from John Gosden. Does not take away from the FACT the horse will be the second coming of Frankel and the 3rd coming of Sea Bird and the 4th coming of whoever else you can think of.

I know FACT when I see it.

You can have all the kicking you like in 3 months when he has won all there is for him to win.

Its a FACT he will be a champion.

Its up to you whether you enjoy the ride."
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 12:07am
Its "only" a group 2 but a pretty hot group 2 so it is all on the line here.

I am quietly confident.

A little concerned Gosden has William Buick on the unbeaten Golden Horn.

There's no question others have better form but jeepers creepers I liked this blokes action.

Handshake

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 12:10am
Embedded image permalink

reductio ad absurdum

djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 12:12am
If Jack Hobbs does not win this I will not post on here until All Cerise wins another race.

reductio ad absurdum

AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 12:19am
Not worthy of a Frankel pimple-
Retired Greyhound Breeder/Owner-Trainer/Public Trainer second only in scale to the Wheeler Kennels. This revelation should ensure my name is crossed off a lot of Xmas Card lists.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 12:20am
Can I hear you say "POP !!"
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 12:22am
LOL
Retired Greyhound Breeder/Owner-Trainer/Public Trainer second only in scale to the Wheeler Kennels. This revelation should ensure my name is crossed off a lot of Xmas Card lists.
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

If Jack Hobbs does not win this I will not post on here until All Cerise wins another race.

Which one won- and where?
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 7:19pm

John Gosden: "I think there was a lot more depth in the Dante than people think." #BWTS

reductio ad absurdum

djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 1:26pm
Golden Horn beats Jack Hobbs in the Dante Stakes

Golden Horn (left) beating stablemate Jack Hobbs in the Dante

PICTURE: Martin Lynch (racingpost.com/photos)  

Dettori fearful of Hobbs as he seeks second Derby

BY JON LEES7:00PM 1 JUN 2015 

FRANKIE DETTORI on Monday admitted he was fearful of Jack Hobbs as he looked forward to making his first appearance in the Investec Derby since 2011 a winning one on Classic favourite Golden Horn.

Dettori has his best chance since his solitary Derby victory on Authorized eight years ago of adding to his tally on the impressive Dante Stakes winner but knows Jack Hobbs, the John Gosden-trained stablemate he rode into second place at York, could prove his biggest threat.

“I am frightened of Jack Hobbs,” said Dettori. “I still think he is a good horse. My horse is favourite, he won his trial well and of course I am excited to be riding him. We will see happens on Saturday.”

The Anthony Oppenheimer-owned Golden Horn was a top-priced 15-8 after he was supplemented on Monday for Saturday’s race, at a cost of £75,000, along with Success Days, winner of the Derrinstown Stud Derby Trial, as 15 horses remained engaged.

Three horses were not confirmed, the most notable omission being the 2,000 and Irish 2,000 Guineas winner Gleneagles, while the same Coolmore connections also decided not to add the filly Found to the Derby field. Both will now wait for objectives at Royal Ascot.

Temperatures are forecast to rise to 22C on Friday which led to Qatar Racing, whose team is headed by Elm Park, leaving three horses in the field amid concerns the warm weather could produce ground conditions that are too quick for the Racing Post Trophy winner and Dante third, even though the going last night was on the soft side of good in places.

reductio ad absurdum

AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 1:47pm
all cerise 
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 1:52pm
22 degrees, concerns over warm weather.......
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 5:42pm
There's also six hundred feet of chalk underneath, so it drains fairly fell.

TBV - where it is the Silly Season all year round.
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by AndiCap AndiCap wrote:

all cerise 

I agree.

reductio ad absurdum

AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 12:35pm
Dobber LOL
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 12:55am

William Buick on #Derby ride JACK HOBBS: "Could've done with another shower of rain but I'm really excited about him"

Embedded image permalink

reductio ad absurdum

djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 8:46am
6:30

150TH DUBAI DUTY FREE IRISH DERBY (GROUP 1) (3yo) Winner €725,000 8 runners 1m4f Good To Firm RTE2

Race Conditions: 1250000.00 For 3yo Weights Colts 9st; Fillies 8st 11lb Penalty value 1st €725,000.00 2nd€237,500.00 3rd €112,500.00 4th €37,500.00 5th €25,000.00 6th €12,500.00

NO. FORMHORSEAGEWGTTRAINER RTF%JOCKEYORTSRPR
1155308Owner detailsCarbon Dating39-0John Patrick ShanahanRonan Whelan9699118
21 The Carbon Unit (USA) — Advertising Space (Galileo)
2831-24Owner detailsGiovanni Canaletto p39-0A P O´Brien81Joseph O'Brien109110125
21 Galileo — Love Me True (USA) (Kingmambo (USA))
33211-62Owner detailsHighland Reel39-0A P O´Brien81Ryan Moore114121130
27 Galileo — Hveger (AUS) (Danehill (USA))
421-122Owner detailsJack Hobbs39-0John Gosden57William Buick119123135
21 Halling (USA) — Swain´s Gold (USA) (Swain)
5696-116Owner detailsKilimanjaro h39-0A P O´Brien81Seamie Heffernan105103121
21 High Chaparral — Middle Persia (GB) (Dalakhani)
65111Owner detailsRadanpour39-0D K Weld61Pat Smullen10186116
 22 Sea The Stars — Rose Quartz (GB) (Lammtarra (USA))
7751213Owner detailsStorm The Stars39-0William Haggas48Pat Cosgrave112114128
21 Sea The Stars — Love Me Only (Sadler´s Wells (USA))
8418-001Owner detailsQualify38-11A P O´Brien81Colm O'Donoghue114118133
 22 Fastnet Rock (AUS) — Perihelion (Galileo)

reductio ad absurdum

AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 5:22pm
Ordinary lot for a DERBY--including the 'super star'-
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 5:39pm
Pretty typical field class-wise imo if the last 3 or 4 contests are any guide.
Will be more than interested in the result as there's a few in the race who might have slipped under the radar. 
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 7:03pm
Typical doesn't make it any better than ordinary-
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 11:31pm
2nd, 3rd and 4th in the Derby, Oaks winner, and 2nd in the Prix du Jockey Club.

Can't complain at that.

My first ever use of the Oxford comma.    Shocked  Only found out about the Oxford comma a couple of days ago. Didn't know before then that one could use it.  
Tuft_it_Tees View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuft_it_Tees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 11:36pm
I've heard of an "Oxford scholar" but not an Oxford comma ?
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 11:54pm
Can use it after the penultimate item in a list, if there is some doubt.

Or sumfink like that.
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 1:08am
Derby winner and Prix du Jockey Club both running in the Eclipse next Saturday.

We would all like both of them to run in that against the older horses, than to run in the Irish Derby.  Tongue
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 3:42am
He did that nicely.

reductio ad absurdum

Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 4:52am
Gonna skip the King George, run in the Prix Niel and Arc, then run as a 4yo and 5yo.

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 11:49am
I see Jack is the first English trained winner of the Irish Derby since Commander In Chief,  in 1993,  and he won both Derbies,  and my friend and distant rellie , Dave,  was C-I_C,s   "lad " .
Congrats to those of you who picked Jack a long time ago. Hope you had a nice collect on him.
animals before people.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 12:32pm
Well done Djebel, you have been on him for a while......good to see you get one right.....
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 7:48pm
Golden Horn (Frankie Dettori) wins the Derby

Golden Horn: Derby winner capable of making a big impact in Arc

PICTURE: Getty Images

Golden Horn looks good for Arc if conditions right

BY SAM WALKER8:55AM 29 JUN 2015 

WORLD CLASS: an analysis of the international scene according to Racing Post Ratings

RESULTS in France, Ireland and Japan caused a number of movers in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe market last week. Let's take a spin round the world.

FRANCE

Treve is still the Arc favourite and was shortened to a general 5-2 chance after winning the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud by a cosy length-and-a-quarter on Sunday. She remains the been-there-and-done-it choice.

She won the race last year despite losing all three of her warm-up races and against a backdrop of back and hoof problems. This year things have gone swimmingly with two cosy wins from two starts, so bookies may be right to go short odds on the budding history maker.

No horse has ever won three Arcs and considering all her injury problems it would take a brave soul to back her three months out at that price. But who is going to beat her?

On Sunday she always looked in control against the best Arc horses France has to offer. Group 1 regular Flintshire finished second with an RPR of 124.

This was his best run since finishing second in the 2014 Arc. It was also his fifth top-level second place and he remains vulnerable at the very highest level. He was trimmed in places but you can still get 40-1 for the Arc.

Treve posted an RPR of 123 on the weekend. She peaked with a mark of 126 in the Arc last year and she is probably still capable of that sort of figure under ideal circumstances.

Another French fancy for the Arc is New Bay. He didn't run last week, but Highland Reel (who finished second to him in the Prix du Jockey Club) didn't do his form any favours in the Irish Derby on Saturday.

IRELAND

The Irish Derby was the big race for three-year-olds last week and it played out like a dream for fans of Golden Horn, who currently ranks a clear second favourite for the Arc at 6-1.

John Gosden's colt marked himself a superior Derby winner with an RPR of 127 earlier this month and Saturday's result helped cement his status as the best three-year-old in Europe.

His form boost at the Curragh was very convincing, with Epsom runner-up Jack Hobbs (122) running out an impressive five-length winner from Epsom third Storm The Stars (114).

The rest of the Irish Derby form also worked out in Golden Horn's favour, as the fourth and sixth from Epsom finished third and fourth at the Curragh, beating Highland Reel, who represented the Prix du Jockey Club form, into fifth.

If you take Golden Horn out of the races Jack Hobbs has contested Gosden's 'other horse' would be unbeaten in five starts and no horse would have got within three lengths of him. Put Golden Horn back in and you'll see a horse who is a good three lengths superior to Jack Hobbs.

The sort of hierarchy that is building up behind Golden Horn is what you'd expect from a very good horse and once the three-year-olds take on their elders in the coming months he could turn out to be very good indeed.

He runs next in the Eclipse Stakes on Saturday, when he will face some smart older horses like The Grey Gatsby. There's a chance he will really crank up the pressure on Treve on the weekend and he could be a lot shorter than 6-1 for the Arc by next week.

The only doubt for Golden Horn is whether he will run at Longchamp if the ground is soft or worse. In recent years there have been ten Arcs run on good or better, seven on good-to-soft and ten on soft or worse.

If good-to-soft is acceptable then the odds are clearly in Golden Horn's favour, but there is simply no telling which way the weather will go and of it turns up heavy he probably won't run.

JAPAN

The big news out of Japan last week was that Duramente is out for the season. He was the nation's only realistic chance of a winner in the Arc this year.

There may still be challengers from the east in 2015, but just because they're from Japan doesn't mean they are the next Orfevre or Deep Impact.

The fact is that after winning the Satsuki Sho (Guineas) and Tokyo Yushun (Derby), Duramente looked set to run up a sequence in a Japanese middle-distance division that currently lacks a stand out performer.

The Grade 1 Takarazuka Kinen on Sunday gave further evidence of the void at the top, with Lovely Day (116) running out an unlikely winner from the even more unlikely placers Denim And Ruby (110) and Shonan Pandora (108) in a tight finish.

Unruly six-year-old Gold Ship was sent off an odds-on favourite, but after rearing in the stalls and losing early ground he was never involved.

In the absence of Duramente it must be very big odds for a Japanese Arc winner this year.

TOP OF THE CLASSFlintshire 124 Andre Fabre (Fr) (Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud, Saint-Cloud, 1m4f, 28 June)

reductio ad absurdum

djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 2:00am

RankingRatingCatSurfaceHorseAgeYOFSexOwnerTrainer
1130ITGOLDEN HORN (GB)32012CA E OppenheimerJohn Gosden - GB
2128LDAMERICAN PHAROAH (USA)32012CZayat Stables LLCBob Baffert - USA
3125MTABLE FRIEND (AUS)52009GDr & Mrs Cornel Li Fook KwanJohn Moore - HK
3125M,IDSHARED BELIEF (USA)42011GJungle Racing LLC, KMN Racing LLC et alJerry Hollendorfer - USA
5124LTSNOW SKY (GB)42011CK AbdullahSir Michael Stoute - GB
5124MTSOLOW (GB)52010GWertheimer et FrereFreddy Head - FR
5124I,LTTREVE (FR)52010MAl Shaqab RacingMme C Head-Maarek - FR
8123MTDESIGNS ON ROME (IRE)52010GCheng Keung FaiJohn Moore - HK
8123LTFLINTSHIRE (GB)52010HK AbdullahAndre Fabre - FR
8123ITFREE EAGLE (IRE)42011CMoyglare Stud FarmDermot Weld - IRE
8123ITTHE GREY GATSBY (IRE)42011CF GillespieKevin Ryan - GB
8123LTJACK HOBBS (GB)32012CGodolphin & PartnersJohn Gosden - GB
8123STLANKAN RUPEE (AUS)52009GTeeley Assets Ltd SyndicateMick Price - AUS
14122IDFIRING LINE (USA)32012CArnold Zetcher LLCSimon Callaghan - USA
14122MTGLENEAGLES (IRE)32012CMichael Tabor, Derrick Smith & Mrs John MagnierAidan O'Brien - IRE
16121ITBLAZING SPEED (GB)62009GFentons Racing SyndicateTony Cruz - HK
16121STBRAZEN BEAU (AUS)32011COntrack Thoroughbreds No 1, D Moretti et alChris Waller - AUS
16121MDCALIFORNIA CHROME (USA)42011CSteven Coburn & Perry MartinArt Sherman - USA
16121ITCIRRUS DES AIGLES (FR)92006GJean-Claude-Alain DupouyMme Corrine Barande - Barbe - FR
16121LTDOLNIYA (FR)42011FHH The Aga KhanAlain de Royer-Dupre - FR
16121LTDURAMENTE (JPN)32012CSunday Racing Co. Ltd.Noriyuki Hori - JPN
16121IDPRINCE BISHOP (IRE)82007GSheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed Al MaktoumSaeed bin Suroor - UAE
23120ITCRITERION (NZ)42010CSir O G GlennDavid Hayes & Tom Dabernig - AUS
23120MDDORTMUND (USA)32012CKaleem Shah IncBob Baffert - USA
23120ETGOLD SHIP (JPN)62009HKobayashi Eiichi Holdings LLCNaosuke Sugai - JPN
23120MDHONOR CODE (USA)42011RLane's End Racing & Dell Ridge Farm LLCClaude McGaughey III - USA
23120LTLOVELY DAY (JPN)52010HKaneko Makoto Holdings Co. LtdYasutoshi Ikee - JPN
23120LTMAIN SEQUENCE (USA)62009GFlaxman Holdings LtdGraham Motion - USA
23120STMUHAARAR (GB)32012CHamdan Al MaktoumCharles Hills - GB
23120STUNDRAFTED (USA)52010GWes Welker & Sol KuminWesley A Ward - USA

reductio ad absurdum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic