Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

It's a Dundeel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's a Dundeel
    Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 4:47pm
Sorry if there's an earlier thread, but anyway:

DEAL IS DONE FOR ARROWFIELD

Monday 23 September 2013

The Transtasman Syndicate, which owns five-time Group 1 winner It’s A Dundeel (High Chaparral-Stareel, by Zabeel), announced today that its champion entire will stand at Arrowfield Stud in the Hunter Valley of NSW in 2014, after he has finished racing. Syndication of the stallion will be considered at a later time.

The sensational 4YO, pictured right (PHOTO: Steve Hart), who defeated 10 Group 1 winners in Saturday’s MRC Underwood S. 1800m G1, will continue his Spring campaign for the Transtasman Syndicate. He remains in the care of trainer Murray Baker and his major target is the MVRC W.S. Cox Plate G1 on 26 October.

Arrowfield’s Chairman John Messara says, "It’s A Dundeel’s pedigree combines the brilliance and classic stamina of Sadler’s Wells and Zabeel infused with the incomparable speed of Luskin Star to create a racehorse of superlative quality over a range of distances.

"It’s A Dundeel’s Underwood success - his fifth Group 1 win - highlights both his weight-for-age class and the turn of foot he had previously demonstrated in his emphatic seven-length victory in the Rosehill Guineas. He is indeed the real deal."

It’s A Dundeel won his debut over 1200 metres in New Zealand as a 2YO and was sent to Sydney last Spring. He won all four of his starts there, culminating in an outstanding performance in the Group 1 Spring Champion Stakes over 2000 metres at Randwick.

He returned in the Autumn to claim the Randwick Guineas (1600m) in race record time, the Rosehill Guineas (2000m) and Australian Derby (2400m). He is the first horse in history to win all four of Sydney’s Group 1 open 3YO events.

It’s A Dundeel was subsequently awarded an international rating of 120. That confirmed him as the world’s equal best 3YO in the middle-distance category on the official Longines World’s Best Racehorse Rankings (to 9 June 2013). He was also the 2012/13 Champion New Zealand 3YO & New South Wales Champion Horse of the Year.

Murray Andersen, his breeder and part-owner, says, "We’re delighted that Arrowfield has agreed to stand It’s A Dundeel, because it secures his place on a major Australian stallion roster that will give him the opportunity he deserves."

It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 6:04am
I am a fan of this fantastic middle distance stallion with the great finishing burst, but local middle distance and Derby winners have often been a hard sell here in Australia.

If we try for a moment to forget what we all might like to see him stand for, what do you think the market might tolerate and therefore what fee might they stand him?

Firstly, if he was to retire on his current record, what's the guess of his fee?

Secondly, what might his fee be if he wins some more Group 1's from here. Say if he wins the Cox Plate, or QE11 next year, or if he wins at Royal Ascot next year? Would it go up much?
songline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote songline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 9:26pm
Being a middle distance horse hasn't hurt So You Think, another son of High Chap.
John H View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 4:34pm
So when he retires to stud here, will he be known as Dundeel or It's A Dundeel?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 1:07pm
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 1:08pm
reductio ad absurdum
Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:50am
That's a good interesting read and nice to hear where their great photos come from.

Was particularly interesting to read her comments that Dundeel's foals are friendly. Our Dundeel yearling filly isn't and we even received the comment from her farm that "this one doesn't particularly like people and can be a bit difficult". I'm not unhappy about these traits in a filly and hopefully it means we got an extra dose of Zabeel in our one 👍
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 8:26am
Bit like my six children.  Every one a cuddle bunny except second daughter who would arch her back and cry louder until she was in her cot.  Could never nurse her to sleep.  As a adult she probably my most social child though so go figure!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Cityboy Cityboy wrote:

That's a good interesting read and nice to hear where their great photos come from.

Was particularly interesting to read her comments that Dundeel's foals are friendly. Our Dundeel yearling filly isn't and we even received the comment from her farm that "this one doesn't particularly like people and can be a bit difficult". I'm not unhappy about these traits in a filly and hopefully it means we got an extra dose of Zabeel in our one 👍

When I read this type of thing I think of the great Clarry Connors filly Research. 
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:41pm
Best On Breeding
Mark Smith - Friday, 17 November 2017

Saturday’s Listed Merson Cooper Stakes at Sandown gives fans the first chance to see a son of that mighty little warrior Dundeel in battle.

The Team Hawkes-trained Irukandji will carry the Spendthrift Farm colours in a race which roll call of winners includes Pago Pago, Star Affair, Storm Queen, Quezette, Biscay, Vain, Dual Choice, Vivarchi, and Rancher.

Irukandji was purchased for $500,000 out of the Musk Creek Farm draft at the Magic Millions Gold Coast Yearling Sale.

That made him the second most expensive yearling from the first crop of Dundeel after the $900,000 colt out of Miss Finland.

Like the champion Pierro, Irukandji was another successful pinhook for Musk Creek Farm, which snapped him up for a not insignificant $240,000 from the Riversdale draft at the National Weanling Sale.

A half-brother to the 3-time winner Deanna Jean, Irukandji is the third foal of the stakes-placed General Nediym mare Cerberus Gal who was a more than useful performer for trainer Garry Kennewell.

She was stakes-placed four times most noticeably when second to Champagne Harmony in the Group II Yallambee Classic (1200m) at Morphettville.

Cerberus Gal is out of Idesa Bay (Civic Hope), a 3-time winner for her trainer/breeder John Zielke, whose dam Western Beauty (Best Western) was a half-sister to the stakes-placed Kaoru Star mare Confidentially.

Bred by the late Tony Freedman, Confidentially became the dam of Danzero, a first crop son of Danehill, who won the 1994 Golden Slipper, setting his sire on the road to fame and fortune, before carving out a successful career at stud in his own right.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:43pm
I like the fact the Dundeels are shown as Dundeel in the form guides. Thumbs Up

He'd have been 6 lengths faster if he ran in Australia as Dundeel.

reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:45pm
Really like the look of that youngster.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 4:00pm
IRUKANDJI (AUS)Bay colt 2015 
Dundeel
Bay 2009
High Chaparral
Bay 1999
Sadler's Wells
Bay 1981
Northern Dancer
Bay 1961
Nearctic
Natalma
14-c
2-d
Fairy Bridge
Bay 1975
Bold Reason
Special
19-b
5-h
Kasora
Brown 1993
Darshaan
Brown 1981
Shirley Heights
Delsy
1-l
13-c
Kozana
Brown 1982
Kris
Koblenza
2-o
1-n
Stareel
Bay 2000
Zabeel
Bay 1986
Sir Tristram
Bay 1971
Sir Ivor
Isolt
8-g
6-e
Lady Giselle
Bay 1982
Nureyev
Valderna
5-h
16-c
Staring
Bay 1988
Fiesta Star
Chestnut 1979
Luskin Star
Very Merry
2-e
1-n
Sweet Violet
Bay 1981
In the Purple
Sugar Doll
11-d
22-b
Cerberus Gal
Brown 2005
General Nediym
Chestnut 1994
Nediym
Bay 1985
Shareef Dancer
Bay 1980
Northern Dancer
Sweet Alliance
2-d
4-r
Nilmeen
Chestnut 1973
Right Royal
Nasreen
3-f
9-c
Military Belle
Bay 1988
Without Fear
Bay 1967
Baldric
Never Too Late
13-c
4-c
Reticella
Brown 1981
In the Purple
Frill
11-d
10-d
Idesa Bay
Brown 1998
Civic Hope
Brown 1983
Whiskey Road
Bay 1972
Nijinsky
Bowl of Flowers
8-f
4-d
Grey Mouse
Grey 1971
Petingo
Field Mouse
22>
1-n
Western Beauty
Bay or brown 1985
Best Western
Chestnut 1978
Bletchingly
Grease Paint
7-a
2-b
Idesa
Brown 1972
Idomeneo
Faresa
2-i
13-b
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer4m x 5m In the Purple5f x 5f
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 4:11pm
Hey Djebel, why do you reckon he's in the Merson Cooper as a Spring 2yo?  Or with the Hawkes?  Tongue

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 4:40pm
I love the fact he must be showing them plenty of precociousness. 

I have no problem with stamina laden horses being up and going before Christmas of their 2yo season, In fact I love it.

It is when they produce a stout pedigree over 1000m as a 3yo and older that I get annoyed or as later 2yos.

The older a horse is the longer I would prefer they kicked their careers off, The younger the shorter, You get the picture.

The female side of this guys pedigree is very much early comer.

reductio ad absurdum
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 5:46am
Been following this from the weanling sales.  Nice pedigree mix and from the Danzero female line of Hebrew Maid.  I didn't mind the In the Purple double either as I hoped that would help it get to the middle distances along with the Whiskey Road.  Enough speed with General Nediym, Best Western Without Fear, Luskin Star etc.  Now I've had two two year olds come out and run bad lasts so far this season so I hope I haven't handicapped this one.  
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 10:28am
The fact he runs last throws into question the wisdom of the Hawkes team.

reductio ad absurdum
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 10:28am
Yep I think I've picked milers this season.  Or I balancing out last year's crop by getting nothing of note!  
Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 5:12am
I notice that in the euphoria of yesterday Arrowfield were claiming a Dundeel as being “the new Zabeel” after getting the Inglis Millenium winner,South African Derby winner, favourite for NZ Derby, and many other promising types.

I think they are justified in being excited about him and I am a fan of the stallion. However one possible chink in his armour that may be emerging is that there might be a bias towards his colts/geldings. Comparatively, his fillies seem to be missing out based on current initial statistics. Hopefully this gets turned around soon. It was a similar story for his sire High Chaparral   
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 6:35am
Don't worry Cityboy.  That happened with his sire High Chaparral but plenty of fillies turned that around after a few years.  I think it was the other way around for Flying Spur he seemed to be a fillies man but at the end it was all colts!
Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:16am
I wasn’t aware that High Chaparral ended up getting quite a few good fillies? You are definitely correct regarding Flying Spur. Another stallion that current has the same issue is Tavistock where I can only think of his good colts/geldings.

Hopefully you’re right regarding Dundeel but unfortunately I don’t think my Dundeel filly will be the one to turn things around. However there was a real impressive win from a Dundeel filly at Pakenham last night (Miss Five Hundred) who won her maiden over 1600m coming from last and wide on the turn. She might be able to lead the charge for the girls.
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 11:42am
Had excellent mates, should be going well. I'm happy that he is outperforming some of the sprinters out there. 
Typos Wink

Edited by Gay3 - 15 Feb 2019 at 12:24pm
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Gee Gee Gee Gee wrote:

Had excellent mates, should be going well. I'm happy that he is outperforming some of the sprinters out there. 
Typos Wink

LOL

*had excellent mares 

Anyhow another stakes winner for the Deel today.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 12:05pm
Tomorrow could project him into the realms of star or even superstar stallion. If he keeps going at the trajectory he is going he will make it even if his progeny fail tomorrow. At this rate he is starting to leave So You Think in his wake.
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Vivarchi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vivarchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by kavg kavg wrote:

Tomorrow could project him into the realms of star or even superstar stallion. If he keeps going at the trajectory he is going he will make it even if his progeny fail tomorrow. At this rate he is starting to leave So You Think in his wake.

Hang on a sec.

SYT had a VRC Derby placegetter(unlucky too) to his name who would add the Gr1 Randwick Guineas to his name in a couple weeks. That was Inference. SYT also had Gr1 Guineas winner La Diosa to his name.

He also was unfortunate to have his precocious 2yo that ran 4th in the AJC Sires for Anthony Cummings die.

Now, i'm all aboard the Dundeel train as i am all aboard the Oz breed shaping High Chapparal train, but he has got a bit to do to be ahead of SYT i reckon. Let alone leaving him in his wake.

A $1.2M Sales race win inflates things a bit.

In saying that, i hope Dundeel continues his really promising march and joins SYT and more future High Chap stallions in the permanent Top 20 sire ranks.

Go the High Chap's.

So sad to see 3 great middle distance sires like HC, Street Cry and now Sebring leave too early. Our breed needs them.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 2:12pm
FWIW, effectively discounting their 2yo's:

Dundeel.         Oldest progeny 3yo's. 180 foals 3yo or over.  6 stakes-winners (3.3%)
So You Think.  Oldest progeny 5yo's.   520 foals 3yo or over.  13 stakes-winners (2.5%)
Ghisoni View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghisoni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 2:20pm
PIERRO
Vivarchi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivarchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 2:34pm
Yeah, love Pierro too.He looks like a star. And hopefully Fiorente. l cheer our middle distance and Classic sires on every Saturday.

Overall, the High Chap line could be the breed shaping Classic Sire breakthrough imo, because he is leaving his best horses as stallions whereas nearly all Zabeel's were gelded.

SYT, Dundeel, Toronado, Free Eagle, Alpine Eagle, Tivaci are all in a position to make an indelible mark on our breed for a long time to come imo.

The High Chap breed seem to love our conditions to me and click down here.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

FWIW, effectively discounting their 2yo's:

Dundeel.         Oldest progeny 3yo's. 180 foals 3yo or over.  6 stakes-winners (3.3%)
So You Think.  Oldest progeny 5yo's.   520 foals 3yo or over.  13 stakes-winners (2.5%)

Yes Pierro can sire middle distance/staying types also.  So another fwiw comparison:

Dundeel: AEI 2018/19: 2.66
So You Think: AEI 2018/10: 1.31
Pierro: AEI 2018/19: 1.70
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 2:43pm
Sure Vivarchi,
I did mean to say 'he is starting to look like he will leave So You think in his wake'.

But the fact he is getting competitive 2yos and actual winners shows he has something special. Will need to frank it over the next 12-18 months but as Second Chance's posting of the statistics show he is well on track to surpass SYT and like SYT his progeny should improve with age.
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>