Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > International Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Irish Grand National

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Irish Grand National
    Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 4:34pm

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 6:39pm
By David Jennings

It's a case of 'hats off', or maybe 'caps off', to experienced commentators Dessie Scahill and our very own Tony O'Hehir!

For they have the toughest task of the day and, arguably the most arduous task of their entire careers, as they try to figure out which Gigginstown runner is which in the BoyleSports Irish Grand National. 

Gigginstown will have more caps than Sammy Lee, Ray Parlour or Peter Reid gained for England as they have 14 chances of landing Ireland's richest jumps race. 

Knowing you had to describe such a race to hundreds of thousands of viewers would be enough to cause insomnia for most of us, but Scahill said on Sunday he would not be losing any sleep.

Indeed, he claims he will not even contemplate the magnitude of his task until a couple of hours before the race. Now that's what you call a cool customer.

"I won't even think about the Gigginstown caps until tomorrow," said Scahill, whose voice will be heard on-course and by At The Races viewers.

"They could change by then from what we're expecting today, and if you started learning them before tomorrow you could get yourself into a right muddle. But I will say I'll be glad when the race is over."

O'Hehir, who will be in front of the microphone for RTE, has almost been here before, and said on Sunday that he remembers teasing another set of connections about their policy of having multiple runners in valuable handicaps.

"I used to tease Frank Berry when JP [McManus] was running six or eight in a big handicap, but there's never been anything like this," he said.

"It will be a crash course of learning once all the different caps are confirmed on the day, and hopefully the commentary will go smoothly. I won't be shedding any tears if a couple of them don't jump off!"

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic