Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Interesting yearling purchase

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting yearling purchase
    Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 6:06am
Today I attended the first day of the Inglis Premier Yearling Sale at Oaklands just outside of Melbourne. I was gobsmacked at the $65,000 + GST  Lee Freedman paid for Lot 2 a colt by Written Tycoon out of Balsamico, a mare by Redoute's Choice. The mare won one race at 1200m. Approximately another 150 yearlings went through the sale's ring today and Freedman made no more purchasers.

Written Tycoon a first season sire  was a winner of two races one of which was the STC Todman Slipper Trial Stakes. It was placed in the AJC San Domenico Stakes. It stood for $ 8,250 ( inc GST ) in 2007, the year it covered Balsamico.

Later in the afternoon another yearling by Written  Tycoon out of Grammy Award, the dam of 5 prior foals (all winners ) , sold for $85,000 + GST.

There must be something going for this sire when such high priceshave been paid for its progeny when it stood for only $8,250 + GST .

Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Phantom View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:07am
maybe another case for Mr Tinkler to look at re commissions?
The More You Put On, The More You Get Back
Fairest One View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairest One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:10am
Sounds promising.
Cmon Apparitions!!!
M.D.3 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.D.3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:11am

The 2010 Inglis Melbourne Premier Yearling Sale commenced strongly on Monday, with the opening day’s trade up $2million on the corresponding session 12 months ago.

More than $9million was traded on the first of four days, with the average of $71,488 representing a 30% rise on the opening session last year.

Inglis officials were also delighted with the median price of $60,000 which represented a 33% gain on 2009.

Victorian based buyers found themselves competing with a strong contingent of interstate investors, with the buying bench bolstered further by representatives from Japan, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore and South Africa, who were successful on some of the day's higher priced lots.

Premier trainer Mick Price teamed with Blue Sky Thoroughbreds to secure the day's top priced yearling, a grey Exceed And Excel colt for $300,000.

Offered by Three Bridges Thoroughbreds, the colt is the first foal from Group 2 VRC Sires Produce winner De Lago Mist from the family of Wanted and Blue Sky's impressive Group 3 winning two-year-old Shrapnel.

McDonald Racing went to $200,000 to purchase Burnewang North Pastoral's Stratum filly from Spinning World's Group 2 Edward Manifold Stakes winning daughter Coupe.

Other high priced lots secured on the opening day included;

· $180,000: Elvstroem – Innocent Baby colt (brother to Viking Legend and Innocent Gamble) purchased by William Inglis as agents

· $180,000: Starcraft – Debutante Robe filly (grand dam Derobe won SA Oaks) purchased by Guy Mulcaster Bloodstock (NZ)

· $170,000: Starcraft – Bella Inez filly (dam a sister to Caulfield Guineas winner In Top Swing) purchased by Star Thoroughbreds (NSW)

· $170,000: Snitzel – Diamond Head colt (dam a half sister to Group winner Franklin Rivers who placed in Hong Kong Derby as Helene Express) purchased by Newmarc Bloodstock (VIC)

· $170,000: Lonhro – Fashion Week colt (dam a half sister to Group 3 winner Cornwall Queen) purchased by Ricky Yiu (Hong Kong)

· $170,000: O'Reilly – Frankish colt (from the same family as Swick) purchased by Star Thoroughbreds (NSW)

· $150,000: Deep Impact – Caerless colt (half brother to Caulfield Cup winner Tawqeet) purchased by S.Okada (Japan)

Top buyers on the opening day were Star Thoroughbreds (Denise Martin) with 5 lots at $585,000, Guy Mulcaster Bloodstock (3 lots for $330,000); Robbie Griffiths (5 lots for $350,000) and Ricky Yiu (3 lots for $330,000).

“The day one clearance of 74.12% has been comparable to the sales conducted so far this year,” said Inglis Bloodstock Director Peter Heagney.

“The rise in average is exceptional but there is still a lot of selling ahead of us.”

The Sale continues from 11am on Tuesday and will be broadcast on Inglis Sale Day Live with Online Bidding in operation throughout the day.

Day 1, Session 1 Statistics

Catalogued: 185

Withdrawn: 15

Sold: 126 (74%)

Passed In 44 (26%)

Gross Amount: $9,007,500

Highest Lot: (Lot 86) $300,000

Average: $71,488

Median: $60,000

andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:12am
Wow - I like the Deep Impact half to Tawqeet!!!!!!!
M.D.3 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.D.3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:12am
Wouldn't mind the -

$150,000: Deep Impact – Caerless colt (half brother to Caulfield Cup winner Tawqeet) purchased by S.Okada (Japan)

A Deep Impact,Starcraft,Stratum,Lonhro or High Chaparral foal would do me 1 of each would be good!
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:13am
Yep - I think you and I are thinking on the same lines MD3!!!
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:15am
Most unusual for unproven first season sire to achieve such a multiple over its stud fee. The fee was reduced to $6,600 ( inc GST ) in 2009. Does not make sense.
M.D.3 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.D.3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:18am
for sure there are some good sires coming through! i wonder how Deep Impact will go should be interesting
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairest One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:20am
Originally posted by M.D.3 M.D.3 wrote:

Wouldn't mind the -

$150,000: Deep Impact – Caerless colt (half brother to Caulfield Cup winner Tawqeet) purchased by S.Okada (Japan)

A Deep Impact,Starcraft,Stratum,Lonhro or High Chaparral foal would do me 1 of each would be good!

Well unfortunately it obviously wont be racing here!
Cmon Apparitions!!!
M.D.3 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.D.3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:22am
yeah that a shame, i thought a Deep Impact colt might go for a bit more than 150k to be honest
Dichez View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dichez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:24am
[QUOTE=M.D.3]
Wouldn't mind the -

Windsucker!
Being punctual means you spend most of your life waiting for others
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:00pm
Just looked at the sales catalogue for yesterday's sales at Oakbank and note that approximately 68% of first day's offerings were sold by studs " on account as Agent ". In effect, that means the beneficial owner putting yearling up for sale could be anyone. Even the ultimate purchaser.Disapprove
arthur View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:05pm
x-rays on the deep impact weerre terrible
Mad Punter View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Punter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 8:02pm
I for one would love to be involved with this colt.  I was standing quite close to Lee Freedman when it was knocked down to him and heard him comment to that young guy who works for him that it was his pick of the sale.  Seems dirt cheap to me.
Phantom View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Mad Punter Mad Punter wrote:

I for one would love to be involved with this colt.  I was standing quite close to Lee Freedman when it was knocked down to him and heard him comment to that young guy who works for him that it was his pick of the sale.  Seems dirt cheap to me.
1st post here.....Are you the syndicator? LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
The More You Put On, The More You Get Back
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Punter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 8:07pm
No, just an interested bystander.  Any idea as to the best way to get involved? Is it as simple as ringing the stable?
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Mad Punter Mad Punter wrote:

So, Lee inspected every yearling at the sale and this fellow was tops??? I am not saying he is not a nice horse but I find it hard to believe Freedman inspected a huge number of the yearlings that are going under the hammer.
here he is... craig View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote here he is... craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 8:09pm
Maybe you should have asked when you were standing next to him as he bought the horse.
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Punter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 8:11pm
Don't all the top trainers look at them all? I read somewhere Gai certainly does.  In any case, I went out and had a look at the horse and he certainly looks a runner.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 8:17pm
Geez Bob - talk about a conspiracy theorist. I would urge you to go back to the performance of stallions such as Untouchable before making unsubstantiated, generalised comments about the performance of first season sires.

Written Tycoon was always a cracking sort, regardless of how he was perceived on the racetrack. I have no doubt that he will get a good looking yearling. He had yearlings sell to 45K at MM and 56K in NZ, and you would expect his best to be at Premier, being a Victorian sire.

As for studs selling "as agent", this may be as simple as studs housing their service entity and their principal trading entity in separate companies.
early4lunch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 8:42pm
What would DLF know anyway?Its not as if he bought Mummify,Superimpose atc. cheaply.
toby View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Just looked at the sales catalogue for yesterday's sales at Oakbank and note that approximately 68% of first day's offerings were sold by studs " on account as Agent ". In effect, that means the beneficial owner putting yearling up for sale could be anyone. Even the ultimate purchaser.Disapprove

What is the big deal about 'as agent' ?
That has been going on for ages, what is the differnce who owns the yearling, the stud has prepared it and taken it to sale.
Why would you buy one back at Oakbank? Do they have a race for Oakbank gradutes?
I am asking, i don't know.
As for Freedman, why wouldn't he have inspected many yearlings or his advisors as well, you can't be serious some of you guys, thats part of his job isn't it?

toby View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 8:59pm
By the way Written Tycoon was another horse who had 'throat problems'
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 9:07pm
Robbo, may I remind you of my first post when  I wrote "There must be something going for this sire when such high prices have been paid for its progeny when it stood for only $8,250 + GST "

That surely does not imply that I am a "conspiracy theorist ". 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairest One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 9:13pm
Yeah sounds like you were just saying that his horses might be nice types given that they sold for a fair bit in comparison to the stallions standing fee.
Cmon Apparitions!!!
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 9:15pm

Most unusual for unproven first season sire to achieve such a multiple over its stud fee. The fee was reduced to $6,600 ( inc GST ) in 2009. Does not make sense.

What about that one, Bob?
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 9:16pm

Or that one?

You really not suggesting some untoward behaviour?

If I misread you, apologies.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 9:18pm
Toby, It was mentioned on Sport 927 this morning by Nick Columb , the Arrowfield Stud Melbourne representative, that a deceased trainer ( he did not name him ) would arrange for another party, as agent, to sell yearlings on his behalf..he owned the mares. In the bidding process he had two options ..

A. he would run the prices up to maximise his profits
or
B. would purchase his own yearlings and syndicate them at inflated prices.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 9:26pm
Robbo

Maybe, I do not know how this bloodstock industry operates.

People like a yearling and buy it purely on looks and never consider the stallion fee to determine what they pay ?

Unlike property auctions which are under government control, the bloodstock industry is under self regulation. ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic