Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Interesting question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 1:32am
Shocking would win it =)

Gets harder every year.
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Short_Half_Head View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Short_Half_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 2:36am
Andy are you going to give this a phantom call so we can find out.

Healy was the best gloveman for Australia ever.
Relampago View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relampago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 2:42am
Healy was a cheat!
Daintree Duke Fan Club President!!! RIP!!!

Melbourne Autumn Tipping Champion 2009!
Melbourne Spring Tipping Champion 2009!
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 2:44am
Originally posted by Short_Half_Head Short_Half_Head wrote:

Andy are you going to give this a phantom call so we can find out.

Healy was the best gloveman for Australia ever.

Possibly - would need plenty of time though to ensure that my phone doesn't screw up again and so that I am screaming at the end of the race Tongue

I hope the VRC gets Greg Miles to do a phantom call for the 2010 Melbourne Cup celebrations.
Jarryd View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 2:45am
Brew
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Short_Half_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 2:49am
Originally posted by Relampago Relampago wrote:

Healy was a cheat!

Sorry off topic but how so, Relampago?
OLAH View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 2:54am
Heavy 10 - Subzero! Filthy grey...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Short_Half_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 3:00am
I would go this as the first four as they are only ones in that list I actually backed to win.

Brew
Black Knight
Delta Blues
Shocking

4/24 a strike rate of 16% no wonder I don't win on Melb Cup day.
Heavenly Glow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavenly Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 3:06am
I reckon the Diva would win if they were all on even weights.

But being a handicap and bases on that list and the weights,
Id probably go for Ethereal - being thrown in at 52kgs.

Diva couldnt afford to carry 58 against those horses, 57 and
Id probably consider it, she was a hell of a horse over 2 miles,
an absolute machine.

M.D.3 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.D.3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 3:36am

makybe diva

hands down the only 3 time winner of the great race
australia's greatest horse
rubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 4:02am
Saintly would win - woud have won so much more but for dirt training tracks and that tendon....
straight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 4:26am
Originally posted by M.D.3 M.D.3 wrote:

makybe diva

hands down the only 3 time winner of the great race
australia's greatest horse
certainly one of them
u dont have to b dead to b stiff
KangaMick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 4:33am
Let's Elope
Tawriffic
Saintly
Might and Power

2007 JASBTC Champion,2008 JASBTC Runner-Up. NSW Surge-Aussie LFL Champions 2013/14
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 4:56am
Doriemus ( the best 2 miler )

Brew ( the best weighted )

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Fair Embrace View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fair Embrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 9:46am
Media Puzzle, with god on his side
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 6:27pm
I personally think Saintly and Might and Power were two of the great winners, it was a golden era for the Melbourne Cup - one I hope we return to next year.

I think Vintage Crop would run a bold race if the track was wet, Media Puzzle if the track was dry.

And I have a soft spot for Viewed...
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 7:02pm
Shocking or Viewed would win it,Efficient would be scratched on race day and the others are long into there retirement.Embarrassed
Hidden In Hollywood
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 7:03pm
If Makybe Diva is Australias greatest horse we are in serious trouble.
Hidden In Hollywood
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

Shocking or Viewed would win it,Efficient would be scratched on race day and the others are long into there retirement.Embarrassed

Hence why it was meant to be at their prime Wink
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 7:14pm
Tongue Umm yes Andy

Anyways id be on Saintly,with D Beadman aboard.

I wonder if they would water the track for this race lol
Hidden In Hollywood
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 11:53pm

Ok, I've decided this deserves mock race status. Need a bit of time to ensure that I have plenty of time to call it - set a market, jockeys, etc.

jazzman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 12:45am
Given the weights, maybe Viewed would win. Makybe would win if it were a level-weights affair. Be a cracking race, though, wouldn't it?
Istidaad kicking strongly, he's 2 lengths clear, Crawl gets out from a well back and old Mustard is grinding home... Hang on, Treasury Notes gets out from the back and she'll blouse them all!
carche View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 1:02am
Let's Elope by a nose over Might and Power.
M.D.3 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.D.3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 6:37am

why?

we not in trouble now and she is i think
and dont think any horse has finished on a higher note than she did in the world

who do u say?
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 6:46am
Originally posted by M.D.3 M.D.3 wrote:

why?

we not in trouble now and she is i think

and dont think any horse has finished on a higher note than she did in the world

who do u say?

For starters, Australia's greatest racehorse would win more races than it lost, Makybe Diva did not.

Australia's greatest racehorse would prove more than competitive overseas, Makybe Diva did not.

Australia's greatest racehorse would not find horses such as Elvstroem and Delzao superior to it at WFA.

Australia's greatest racehorse would win more than 15 races in it's career.

Phar Lap won as many races in a season as Makybe Diva did in it's whole career.

Makybe Diva isn't even the best mare of the last 15 years, let alone the best of all time.

Of course M.D.3 you are entitled to your opinion, but in reality she was a champ, a great stayer, who had one great season at WFA, but was not quite up to Elvstroem at WFA, and Elvstroem is hardly the measuring stick for Australia's greatest racehorses.
M.D.3 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.D.3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 7:06am
we could argue all night!
some of your points are true.

her record 36st 15-4-3 she also had alot of close up 4ths 6 or 7 of them four in a row before she won her 1st melbourne cup when being trained as a true stayer.

when freedom took over she blossomed to the next level he got her to beat some of the best 1400m horses at that time first up in the memsie then wins a 3rd melb cup at the end of prep

australias highest prizemoney earner
M.D.3 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.D.3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 7:21am
and i mean freedman not freedom lol
i know what u saying though saintly96 i just have soft spot for her followed her from very early! i reckon saintly would be close too career was cut short when he was just looking like going up a level his australia cup win as 3yo was brilliant and was beautiful looking horse
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 7:26am
She also won 6 of her first 7 against some very moderate performers too.

Which really means she won about 9 of her last 29 races, is that really good enough to be considered the best horse ever? I seriously doubt it.

When you win Australia's highest prizemoney race 3 times, then you have to be up on the list of earners.

I still say Kingston Town 3 Cox Plates far outweighs Makybe Divas 3 Melbourne Cups.

You are right M.D.3, we could argue all night, but we won't, you are definitely stuck with your opinion, I won't budge with mine, so we have to agree to disagree.

I will say this about Makybe Diva though. I loved her to bits, and was so glad when she won her 3rd cup (I backed her all three times), she was still at the top of her game when retired too. So many champs don't get to end on the high's that she did.
straight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 7:35am
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

She also won 6 of her first 7 against some very moderate performers too.

Which really means she won about 9 of her last 29 races, is that really good enough to be considered the best horse ever? I seriously doubt it.

When you win Australia's highest prizemoney race 3 times, then you have to be up on the list of earners.

I still say Kingston Town 3 Cox Plates far outweighs Makybe Divas 3 Melbourne Cups.

You are right M.D.3, we could argue all night, but we won't, you are definitely stuck with your opinion, I won't budge with mine, so we have to agree to disagree.

I will say this about Makybe Diva though. I loved her to bits, and was so glad when she won her 3rd cup (I backed her all three times), she was still at the top of her game when retired too. So many champs don't get to end on the high's that she did.
u dont have to b dead to b stiff
M.D.3 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.D.3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 7:37am
do u have an opinon on who is the greatest saintly96?

or is there to many different things to compare
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic