Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Inglis Easter Yearling Sale 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inglis Easter Yearling Sale 2020
    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 7:33pm
Just received my hard copy.

Any early comments at this stage?
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:52pm
horses bought from $200k to $500k will outperform the $500k+ yearlings on the track.
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 10:33am
How much of an influence will the coronavirus have?
Big, i would say...
This will be the year for bargain prices.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 2:21pm
How so?

I would reckon local agents do most of the leg work for Asian buyers and, at the end of the day, they can still race the horse here.

I guess it would depend on the source of their income and how long they think it will take to arrange a clean supply chain for whatever goods they're trying to import. 

Handy excuse for the auction house in any case.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 3:50pm
https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2020+Australian+Easter+Yearling+Sale/catalogue/107

Bred to be another Dalasan, Fifty Stars, Kermadec, Tavistock and so on.

reductio ad absurdum
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 9:48pm
Online auction anyone?LOL
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 11:30pm
Invitation only !!!!!Pig
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 7:46am
Why didn't I go to the classic.  No soft nose pats for me.
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

Invitation only !!!!!Pig

Even this way I cant see how they can stay under the 500 people limit - all those horses have handlers, plus the ground staff, catering, office staff, float drivers, Inglis staff & invited people. I'm doubting the Sale will proceed.
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 1:09pm

Wishful thinking? Confused

The Inglis bloodstock company has argued its Sydney Easter Sale is an essential activity and should go ahead as scheduled next month.

It is unknown which format the sale will proceed in in the wake of Federal and State Governments imposing a ban on non-essential gatherings of more than 500 people to slow the spread of coronavirus.

Essential business operations are exempt from the ban. Inglis Chief Executive Mark Webster said the sale’s place in Australia’s massive racing and breeding industry made it an essential event.

“We believe the Australian Easter sale is essential. It is a trading event, it is not a public gathering,” Webster said in a statement.

“We need to better understand what they mean by that, but we don't consider ourselves to be non-essential.

"Overall, as an industry, we need to make a case that this is an essential event, not a discretionary one that you can just hold in six months' time or not at all.

“If the government has used those words in the first place around nonessential events, they must have deemed which ones would be essential otherwise they wouldn't have used those terms in their definitions.”

Webster said Inglis would make the most of technology to mitigate the effects of the government measures, which also include a 14-day self-isolation period for all arrivals into Australia.

However, Webster said the fact the large portion of the sale’s operations were conducted outdoors as well as the significant time restraints in preparing yearlings for sale made it vital for the Inglis Easter Sale to be held in its scheduled timeslot.

“The horses will be getting older by the minute and they need to be sold and be prepared for two-year-old racing,” Webster said.

“There's certainly time pressures there and we think there's a whole lot of reasons why our event is actually essential.

“We can control it through an invitation-only basis by knowing who the vendors are, who the buyers are, who the media are in attendance.

“It forms an essential part of our economy in the bush in terms of the producers and obviously a critical part of our racing in terms of the supply chain.”

Magic Millions will conduct its March Yearling Sale on the Gold Coast on Monday.

The sale is closed to the public with the company requiring all potential buyers to pre-register before arriving at the Bundall complex

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 2:18pm
What a load of codswallop. I thought V'landys cry was bad enough
That p.r. release by Webster seems almost to have been written by the big breeders cartel.
It is simply a case of collective financial backside covering & a fear of exposure of their degree of financial leverage
Would they care if it was the Vobis Gold Sale. NOT BLOODY LIKELY'  In fact Webster does not even mention that sale
This is all about trying to save the big end of town, as for some, their business balls are already in an ever tightening vice
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 2:22pm
From info received from a well placed family member, the governments concept/definition of essential is that  that would be deemed essential in wartime
Now if it was 1915 & the yearlings were walers.............
Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 11:10pm
OMG!  Essential?

I can guarantee that these are also the people who are hoarding the toilet paper.  It is the same type of mentality ie me me me me me me....

They have not given any thought as to what the country should be doing in order to slow down the spread of the virus.  

“The horses will be getting older by the minute and they need to be sold and be prepared for two-year-old racing,” Webster said.

I think the rest of the country will simply go "boo hoo".

Someone mentioned V'landys earlier.  I cannot believe he is asking for a government handout!  Yet, I can.  It is all he knows how to do.

“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:57pm
V'Landys got a $200 million handout for the industry for EI. Rumour has that most of this money went to the Hunter. After all they do run the show
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 1:19pm
Inglis apparently short term invest money received from buyers, prior to passing on to vendors & if true, they'll have taken a big hit!
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 1:21pm
That on-site hotel might just be their ace in the hole. If they scale up the phone & internet facilities, there's space enough for 300-400 individual bidders.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 1:27pm
THey will have to get more internet width or what ever you need.  It crashes or you can't connect 1/2 the time every year and more people will be trying to watch that way this year.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 3:14pm
I'd reckon the LAN would be vastly superior, so their priority would be to get the buyers and agents on-site, and work the phones. The live video feed of them walking in circles is redundant.

In any case, since i'm a fair chance to have full pockets after a deal to HK, I will be on the lookout for a slice of one of these:

11 - Written Tycoon x Lady Lakshmi
28 - Written Tycoon x Lifesaver Lady
97 - Dundeel x My Girl
158 - All Too Hard x Renascent
200 - Dundeel x Silla Regalis
470 - Written Tycoon x Gold Anthem

All colts except the last one... fair chance i'm left with full pockets if Inglis manages to pull off a miracle with the buying bench.
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 11:34am
Can't see any way this can proceed as a regular sale. I guess they are working frantically in the background on alternate selling methods. I feel for the vendors.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 1:50pm
It certainly looks like the vendors with forward stock for the Magic Millions sale won the lottery.  What do they do?  Inspections would have to be a vast issue with the new regualations.  It's alright for racing to go ahead with no public or owners.  But no ones going to buy a $1,000,000 lot on speck.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 1:57pm
The professional buyers may have already inspected their top lots at the farms Furious and I'm sure there is a lot of frantic travel between farms over the next few days. Only way I can see we going ahead and prices staying steady.

Or the usual under the table deals between sellers,buyers,trainers to prop up studs stallions etc are only a phone call away🤨
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 8:12pm
What's the difference between selling in the first week of April and the last week of June?

Historical comparisons are moot, because the quality of animal that is entered into the Easter sale has not been on the table that late before.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 12:52am
Looks like it’s a switch to online or postponed after the ‘stage 2’ measures.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 8:57am
Stage 3 when it comes will be a complete lockdown. The breeders cartel in NSW should be gelatiting themselves if this is announced on Friday which would be a high probability
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

What's the difference between selling in the first week of April and the last week of June?

Historical comparisons are moot, because the quality of animal that is entered into the Easter sale has not been on the table that late before.

No guarantees that end June will be OK either at this stage.
Yearling prep is labour intensive, and much like a racer in training the babies need a break at some point.
They also need to be broken in and got going soon too, if you want to access the 2yo racing.
Most Easter yearlings would have been through the breakers by end June usually.
Bit of a mess really - about $80 million dollars of horseflesh currently homeless. Vendors must be very concerned.

VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 11:42am

News

Update on Easter Yearling Sale

25th Mar 2020

In light of Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s most recent announcements and further restrictions made last night regarding the COVID-19 situation, Inglis is currently re-evaluating the timing and format of its sales schedule for the remainder of 2020.

The Easter Yearling Sale will not proceed as a live auction but will instead proceed in an online format, the details of which will be confirmed today.

Inglis will issue a further update by close of business today, Wednesday March 25, which will include confirmation on how each scheduled sale of 2020 will operate.

The bloodstock team has understandably been fielding a huge volume of enquiries so we appreciate everybody’s patience and understanding at this time.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 1:34pm
That is a very scary thought VSP. Many of the top end sales involve subterfuge  of some sort. Only a very few will benefit from an online sale & it is not hard to predict who that will be
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 1:59pm
Glencoe, although many of us are aware of the continual shenanigans, many like myself forget the previous transgressors after a year. Please give us a list of the usual suspects.
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 2:07pm
It takes a few years to check some of the deals which are often about stallion fee justification, or mare promotion. The yearling  is just the vehicle.
Check a mares stud book returns (& preceding sales), yearling sales purchase, & then correlate with listed owners when said yearling is registered for racing. A couple of big studs are serial offenders
Do the research. you will work it out
Spearmint View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spearmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 2:19pm
How in the hell are we going to inspect these yearlings?

Who would want to buy one if you cannot inspect them and apply your judgement and inspection criteria before assessing what you think they are worth?

Photos only give you a 2 dimensional view of their colour and general shape.

Photos can give the wrong impression. I have marked yearlings to inspect on photos and most of them do not look like what you think you saw in the photo and vice versa.

There is nothing like inspecting them in the flesh, things like their presence or demeanour,
How they handle the sales day pressure, the intangibles like intelligence or not and do they have that " look " in the eye.

Good luck to those who are prepared to buy these yearlings sight unseen
"Nothing in the world is so powerful as an idea whose time has come"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>