Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Hot Seat Silliness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot Seat Silliness
    Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 2:33pm
Just about every time I watch Eddie's show, I see something that amazes me. It is the way that the people who win the prelim, and a $1000 cheque, that can be cashed in to buy a lifeline....50/50, ask the friend, go to a different question......usually hang on to it like grim death, refuse to use it, despite being clueless about the answer. This is particularly baffling when they are getting close to, or on the final play. I mean, if you are on the final question, with a shot at $50,000, don't know the answer, can turn $1000 in an even money shot for $50,000, you are nuts not to go that way. But many, or most, do not. Go figure ! Sort of indicates to me that many people do not have much in liquid reserves, and $1000 means something to them. Not in 2017 folks !
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 2:48pm
Being on national TV renders some people almost speechless.
Stage fright, one has to experience to appreciate it.

Happens regularly on Eddie's show.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 2:53pm
I was on a TV kid's show quiz segment back in the 60's...did OK till the question asking how many a baker's dozen was...did not know ! The hot lights I remember, I never returned to your screens.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

I was on a TV kid's show quiz segment back in the 60's...did OK till the question asking how many a baker's dozen was...did not know ! The hot lights I remember, I never returned to your screens.

13 Max ..    Chit , why didn't you give me a ring.

I had an experience in 1975 ...     Overawed by the Big Plik doing the talking   ( Mike Willesee )...   I stumbled through the lines but never wanted a return bout .      ( especially with the subject matter , one Trevor King )      ( Still alive at 87 our Trevor )
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 3:38pm
Trevor King was whom ?
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 3:51pm
This is just how the average person thinks. They don't consider the chance of winning, they simply look at this as being a risk they may lose $1000 on a question they have no idea of. They don't consider the fact that you're getting 49-1 about an even money chance. That's just the mind of a non-gambler. Anyone who gambles with any level of intelligence at all would immediately jump at the chance to take the bet.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

This is just how the average person thinks. They don't consider the chance of winning, they simply look at this as being a risk they may lose $1000 on a question they have no idea of. They don't consider the fact that you're getting 49-1 about an even money chance. That's just the mind of a non-gambler. Anyone who gambles with any level of intelligence at all would immediately jump at the chance to take the bet.

That is about the size of it. Surprises me every time though, you think "this bloke seems pretty switched-on"...and then they make what is a very dumb play, to us.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 4:05pm

Trevor King was whom ?

Australian Boxer 64 bouts 63 wins .     Overcame a tough upbringing and joined the Salvation Army when he met and married Sal.Army lady Judy.
Became Captain and has given his life to helping disadvantaged youth.
Big name & part of the Wesley Mission Organisation and is resident at their complex near Windsor to this day.
   Was active around in the days of Australia's rise in boxing , Jimmy Caruthers ,( OZ 1st world Champion ) Elley Bennet , Coleman etc.
I became close to Trevor through my work when employed in a difficult area of the Parramatta Psychiatric Centre.   He did great work with the drug victims especially and was a household name in those days.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 4:07pm
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 4:16pm

OK macca, before my time.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2009/06/22/2604900.htm

Incredible man actually.     I saw him on TV recently , well into his 80's , punching the speed ball.
With such accuracy .    Still has those reflexes.
He would be mighty proud of Jeff Horne.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 3:57pm
The dumbos are still out in force on "Hot Seat", refusing to part with the $1000, to give them a good shot at much bigger money. Even Eddie is becoming frustrated by them, declaring the name of the program is not "win one large". It is certainly perplexing, particularly when they are a question or two away from picking up $50-100k.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 4:08pm
I wonder if they filter out a large portion of the real smarties during the audition process. I mean, it would be good publicity when someone wins one of the top amounts but they wouldn't want it happening all the time.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 7:02pm
Happens again tonight, but well short of the finish line. They might as well stay home.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 7:27pm

Happens again tonight, but well short of the finish line. They might as well stay home.

I do understand your view on it Max , BUT .      So many of our population are so broke and in Debt that $1000 is virtually a lottery to them and the mind in that situation is blind to the maths.
     We are being reduced in actual income every day by things like power prices , bracket creep etc.      Filthy , self interest Politicians ..
We need to be invaded by Tasmania and have Jacque Lambie as PM .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 7:39pm
No doubt many have their wage/weekly income "answered for" as soon as they get it paid to them. I suppose where people are not uncommonly paying power bills by instalment, it should not surprise that they want to grip on to the $1k. Eddie would spend more than that on answering fan mail.
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 12:41pm

I wonder if they filter out a large portion of the real smarties during the audition process. I mean, it would be good publicity when someone wins one of the top amounts but they wouldn't want it happening all the time.

I'd agree with these sentiments. A bit of profiling would probably be in the audition mix. Many businesses do it to minimise losses. Get rid of big gamblers with brains they're dangerous.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by ThreeBears ThreeBears wrote:

I'd agree with these sentiments. A bit of profiling would probably be in the audition mix. Many businesses do it to minimise losses. Get rid of big gamblers with brains they're dangerous.

For sure. There would be many factors involved I'm sure but on a show like this cost would be high on the list I would think.

On other shows it is entertainment, how the person will resonate with the viewing public. I think I may have told his story before but years ago a guy I worked with auditioned for Australian Idol. He was a very good singer up to the point of winning the odd pub karaoke comp. But he wasn't a superstar and never would be. His take was that to make the show you either needed to be the cream of the crop (for obvious reasons) or an absolute disaster so as to provide some light-hearted laughs.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 12:19pm
That's a definite. My old mate Russell is a very good singer. He auditioned in L.A for Idol years ago. They weren't  interested. Russell has professional talent and looks fine but not outstanding in voice or appearance. Very good is not good enough. You must be great or gawd awful for those shows. He got a little work in L.A - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2071373/?ref_=nv_sr_4
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 6:59pm
Another one tonight. I see it, but I don't believe it.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:25pm
I sometimes wonder how on earth these people get on there !  OMG  !  Not much basic common sense with a lot of them !!  A lot of answers i dont know, but by just eliminating things, you can often come up with the right answer.
But I think they have a certain amount of bimbos to keep Eddie happy.  Notice how he chats away, forever, listening to some long winded and boring story from a pretty girl ??
Yep, Max M.  How dumb was that sheila tonight !!  Big money up for grabs and she keeps her $1 thousand and bombs out !!!   Hope she uses it for a decent hair cut. 

animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:27pm

Another one tonight. I see it, but I don't believe it.

How silly that one tonight who wouldn't use the $1000 fastest finger with only 3 questions to go. She would have got a grand and a go at the big dollars anyway...    I "cried" for her.
Off with the head and on with a pumpkin for many of us when those cameras start rolling.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:48pm
its OK to say on with the pumpkin, but these people must have passed some pretty severe questioning to even get on the show, then they come out and blow it !!
I would be interested to know what the criteria is , to pass the test, to get on .
Some of them are just plain dumb as !  It blows my mind how dumb they are with simple, basic questions. 
I can understand people fluffing out on things like chemistry , or young ones not knowing a whole lot about years ago with some things,  but basic history and famous people ??
I would hate to get a movie or music question.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:50pm
PS.  Awhile back now I saw a bloke who lost out on 50 thousand because he didnt know what horse had won 3 Melb Cups.    Being as the MC is pretty much an Ozzie Icon, and that was all over media for days.  How could you not know ??
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:55pm
Tonight's "victim" was advised 3 times by Eddie, to use the lifeline, but stuck with her pick. It is staggering.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:57pm
Yep, he kept on and on,,,,,and on and on,  and still she was too thick to take the hint.
What is it with these people ??  
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 12:05am
I knew a bloke who went on the show, but he was never asked what he did for a living.....he was a barrister ! I'm sure most people would think, what a greedy bawstard, if they knew that, I wasn't unhappy when he bombed out.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 8:19pm

they do...my mother was a quiz champ in the days of Barry Jones, Lindsay Brown, etc. ...she won on Bob Dyer, Coles $1000 Question, Wheel of Fortune, Sale of the Century...

years later she applied to go on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? ...they sent her a letter that said she was too well-known to be allowed on...despite the fact she hadn't been active on quizzes for twenty years at that time...

several radio stations also blocked her from their competitions...

Ouch
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 8:34pm
Another dumb-bum bows out clutching the $1000 cheque. He took a guess, he needed the money for a holiday. Not much of a holiday !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 12:40am
He was off to see his girlfriend for the first time in seven years. LOL 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by ThreeBears ThreeBears wrote:

He was off to see his girlfriend for the first time in seven years. LOL 

Yeah, that cracked me up, too !!   You gotta ask the question Wink   Thousand $$ wont go far will it !!!

animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic