Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

'Horserail' fencing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munga Rangi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Horserail' fencing
    Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 4:23pm
Has anyone had any experiences with using this type of fencing ? - pros and cons. Mainly concerned with it's longevity and cost. I am estimating I would need about 2000 mtrs. Are there other brands on the market besides Horserail as they seem very difficult to get hold of, which, to be honest, puts me off to begin with. 
Caveat emptor
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 4:28pm
I'd ask on Eques & Vichorse, been threads on them I'm sure, pl are always asking about fencing material Smile
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
Munga Rangi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munga Rangi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 4:33pm
I had a bit of a look before Gay, will have another look now, but thought I'd ask here as I wanted feedback about its use in our industry in particular.

Caveat emptor
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 7:14pm
Is this the PVC fencing? Amacron is the website, I think the install matches the cost of materials, but should last well.
maxamill View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxamill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 8:49pm
Seen a lot of it done properly and it seems to be OK but it must and I mean must have electrics or don't was your time,money there is some stuff coming out of china and branded under different names we looked at all aspects of it and opted for hard wood rail and electric equirope by amicron works well Haven't had a prob even with foals and weanlings prob worked out cheaper as well actually now I think about it I wouldn't use it

highgainfarms View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highgainfarms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 9:34pm
All looks nice for about 2 years then it starts to Buckle,Split and sag in the heat better off with hard wood
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munga Rangi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 9:45pm
Thanks for the input, I don't and won't be re-fencing again, so need to look at all the options. The old fences (hardwood) lasted brilliantly - 50 years and more, but the timber sourced in the last 10 years doesn't seem to be as dense or last anywhere near as long.
Caveat emptor
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 10:09pm
It is terrific , but you have to make sure you use the correct fittings and tensioners etc.
Electric is a must and as long as you can tension it up it lasts a long time [cant say 50 years because it hasn't been around for that log as yet]
PhillipC View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PhillipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 10:26pm
I don't have any personal experience with Horserail, but there is a property that I drive passed on my way to my sister's that has a similar product (not sure which) and it has been up for probably 20 years and seems to last well and still look good.

Personally here I have used Equirope from Amacron as mentioned above by maxamill and fenced the whole property with it. There are pics on my webpage and there are lots more on my Facebook page (link on the Contacts page of my website). I have to say I love it. Looks great and carries lots of electricity, so the horses respect it. IMHO if horses don't respect fences, that's when you get issues, they'll lean on them, lay all over them and get caught up. If anything here touches my fences I can hear the crack from 50m away, so they mostly only touch it once. The fences have now been up 2 years and a couple of the strands could do with a re-tension, but I haven't had any issues. It even keeps the cattle (including randy bulls!!) under control.

As far as safety goes, a few days ago I noticed some hoof prints outside the fence line between paddocks (double fencing). Obviously during the night my young 5yo was having a bit of a hoon and didn't stop in time or slid after some rain and must have slid into the fence. Not a mark on him and because the Equirope stretches, the fence is also intact. I'm sure he'd have been cursing his miscalculation as he was being hit with several thousand volts of electric fence as he was bounced back into his paddock....lol
http://www.equinehaven.com.au
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 4:56pm
Its so much better than solid timber , its easier to fix a fence than put a horse down.
Ever seen a horse with a broken rail impaled in their chest ?
As long as it is properly working electric they wont go near it , and you just tension it up every year or so.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munga Rangi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 6:48pm
I have heard a lot of positive feedback about equirope.
Caveat emptor
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 7:07pm
We've got it & love it. You can even get a tiny reading a metre away from it so the neddies respect it dutifully as there's plenty of warning Smile
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
PhillipC View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 10:09pm
haha, if anything here touches it I can HEAR it from 50m away :-) Makes me laugh every time :-)
http://www.equinehaven.com.au
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic