Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Hornets' Nest – the last horse to beat PDL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hornets' Nest – the last horse to beat PDL
    Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 3:41pm

THE last horse to beat Puissance De Lune in a race is being set for an audacious tilt at this year’s Cox Plate.

Hornets’ Nest is far from a household name, but the James McNamara-trained gelding is putting every hoof forward in a bid to compete in Australia’s premier weight-for-age event.

McNamara, who prepares the son of High Chaparral at his Koroit property in Victoria’s western district, said he had mapped out a campaign to give Hornets’ Nest the best opportunity to qualify for the Cox Plate.

“He’s only got a rating of 82, so he’ll have to do absolutely everything right to even get a start, but I reckon he’s got enough ability to compete in a Cox Plate,” the trainer said.

“He had a jump out at Hamilton this morning (Wednesday) and got through it no problems.”

McNamara said that in an ideal world, Hornets’ Nest would have had at least one or two races under his belt this preparation, but had to recover from injury after tearing a muscle in a race at the Warrnambool May Carnival.

“There’s no room for error now, if we want to make (the Cox Plate),” he said.

“We’d probably have to win every race to get there.”

Hornets’ Nest will likely start in an $80,000 Handicap (1600m) at Moonee Valley on September 14 before a possible crack at the Group 2 City Jeep Bill Stutt Stakes (1600m) at the same venue under lights on Friday, September 27.

Should the six-year-old gelding win both of those, McNamara said he would likely enter his stable star in the Group 1 Toorak Handicap at Caulfield on October 12, two weeks before the Cox Plate.

“He’s probably going to be a better chance of making it next year, but we’ll give him every chance,” McNamara said.

The part-time trainer, who owns the Koroit Milk Bar with his wife Lisa, said he still couldn’t believe his luck after purchasing Hornets’ Nest for a paltry $2500 at last year’s Inglis March sale.

“I said to Lisa on the way home from the sale that his horse is bred to do anything on a racecourse,” McNamara said.

“I thought he could even make it to a Melbourne Cup.”

A three-quarter brother to the Chris Waller-trained Foreteller, a Group 1 victor and winner of more than $1 million, Hornets’ Nest had just two starts for Lee Freedman before being resold.

In both races last year he ran last, at Mornington over 1600m (January 1) and Werribee over 2000m (January 15). Both were on rock-hard surfaces.

McNamara said he thought Hornets’ Nest was probably cast aside because he preferred the sting out of the ground and was a hard horse to train.

“He’s a real head case when you’re working him. He can be a handful,” McNamara said.

The $2500 buy has already proven to be a bargain, especially as Hornets’ Nest was rumoured to have cost his original owners in excess of $700,000.

Last year in his first run for McNamara he won on a heavy 10 at Warrnambool over 1700m, paying a massive $85 on the Victorian TAB.

Eleven days later, over 1600m on a heavy 8 track at Ararat, he won again at big odds, saluting at $13.

Proving his ability, he backed up nine days later to win the Coleraine Cup (1800m) on a dead 5 track, again at the generous odds of $13.

But without a doubt his biggest win was in the $50,000 Showcase Benchmark 89 Handicap (2200m) at Warrnambool on October 12, where he defeated current Melbourne Cup favourite Puissance De Lune by a half-length.

The Darren Weir-trained star was $1.20 with bookmakers and probably would have won the race if not for interference, but the winner was bold in victory.

Hornets’ Nest, who was again $13 that day, went straight to the paddock after that run, while Puissance De Lune went on to win the Listed Bendigo Cup (2400m) by eight lengths and the Group 3 Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2600m) at Flemington by five lengths.

The grey import is now the favourite to win this year’s Melbourne Cup and is the odds-on fancy in this Saturday’s Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m).

McNamara said seeing Puissance De Lune push forward after running second to Hornets’ Nest gave him confidence that his gelding was capable of racing at the top level.

“I’m not saying the horse is better than (Puissance De Lune), but I am confident he can go to that level,” he said.

“If I’m wrong, I reckon he’ll be winning plenty of $80,000 races in Melbourne over the quieter periods.”

McNamara said he and the horse’s owners, who are all friends and family, were having a great time and enjoying the thrill of preparing for big races.

“The only city starters I’ve ever had were Dinna Later, who raced over the jumps at Sandown, and Streets Apart, who raced at Moonee Valley last month. I’ve never had a winner in town.

“I’m hoping that will change soon.

“If someone offered me a million dollars for the horse I wouldn’t take it, because we’re having so much fun with him.”

Hornets’ Nest opened as a $301 chance to win the Cox Plate with TAB Sportsbet and McNamara said he had “a little bet on him … just in case”.

kingoath View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingoath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 3:49pm

Nothing wrong with aiming for the clouds. What price should he be to even get a run in the Cox Plate? I would think more than 300's.

Kingoath's Stable - Zadon, Spalato, Able Friend, Signoff
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 3:50pm
Hornets Nest didn't beat PDL, Brad Rawiller did.
MelbourneRacing View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 3:57pm
I agree with you in that it was a terrible ride, but he wouldn't have won by more than a length or so.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 3:59pm
Also mate, the Bill Stutt is for 3 year olds. Not sure Hornet's will get a run in that!!
TH86 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TH86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 4:06pm
That's probably a fair comment MelbourneRacing but you don't get 27.05 sec first 400M's too often either, allowed to walk until the 1000M and sprinted home in low 11s his last 3 splits.

Black Caviar would have struggled to run him down that day from the position PDL was in. 

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 4:09pm
Fixed that now. He said mile race at Moonee Valley and that was the only one. Probably the 1500m event.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 4:10pm
If he wins the 2 Valley races he should go Caulfield Stakes and Caulfield Cup.

Is he entered for the Caulfield Cup ?
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by TH86 TH86 wrote:

That's probably a fair comment MelbourneRacing but you don't get 27.05 sec first 400M's too often either, allowed to walk until the 1000M and sprinted home in low 11s his last 3 splits.

Black Caviar would have struggled to run him down that day from the position PDL was in. 

True, but that wasn't his fault. I think some of these jockeys looked at his price and not his form and didn't show him enough respect.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

If he wins the 2 Valley races he should go Caulfield Stakes and Caulfield Cup.

Is he entered for the Caulfield Cup ?

No.
Slammington View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slammington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 4:15pm
Thanks MelbourneRacing, interesting article.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 4:19pm
Trainer had that horse up and going, good luck to him but PDL is a totally different horse being ridden up on the pace than when they first started with him. He's at least a 10 length better horse now than when Hornet got him. Hope they have some fun with him and sticking to the quieter periods is the way to go.
Fine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 4:23pm
Goodick to them. I hope they have a few wins along the way. Koroit is a lovely little town, with a good pub. A fine place for a counterlunch.
Fine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 4:24pm
I really did mean 'good luck' to them. What could autocorrect be thinking?
Hot2Trot View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot2Trot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 4:29pm
Interesting article.  He is bred to be good, so who knows what heights he will reach.
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 6:30pm
Boss was the last horse to beat PDL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 2:15pm
Pretty much the same story as above, but with a few additions. Via http://www.racingvictoria.net.au/news/rvl/n_Hornets_chance_to_cause_a_stir.aspx

Bargain buy launches ambitious campaign in Moonee Valley feature

Hornets’ Nest is no longer known as the last horse to beat Puissance De Lune, but he will have a bigger boast later this spring if James McNamara’s ambitious plan comes off.

McNamara, who trains his small team at Koroit in Victoria’s western district, is setting the High Chaparral gelding for the $3 million Group 1 Sportingbet Cox Plate (2040m).

His campaign begins in Saturday’s $300,000 Group 2 Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes (1600m) at the Cox Plate venue, Moonee Valley.

“He’s only got a rating of 82, so he’ll have to do absolutely everything right to even get a start, but I reckon he’s got enough ability to compete in a Cox Plate,” the trainer said.

McNamara said that in an ideal world, Hornets’ Nest would have had at least one or two races under his belt this preparation, but had to recover from injury after tearing a muscle in a race at the Warrnambool May Carnival.

He originally planned to start the six-year-old in the $80,000 Jeep Don’t Hold Back Handicap (1600m) this weekend, but elected to have a throw at the stumps in the Dato after Cox Plate favourite Atlantic Jewel opted to contest the Stocks Stakes.

Hornets’ Nest will most likely return to Moonee Valley on Grand Final Eve (27 September) and McNamara said if he performs well there he would be given his shot at the Group 1 Toorak Handicap on 12 October.

“He’s probably going to be a better chance of making it next year, but we’ll give him every chance,” McNamara said.

The part-time trainer, who owns the Koroit Milk Bar with his wife Lisa, said he still couldn’t believe his luck after purchasing Hornets’ Nest for a paltry $2500 at last year’s Inglis March sale.

“I said to Lisa on the way home from the sale that his horse is bred to do anything on a racecourse,” McNamara said. “I thought he could even make it to a Melbourne Cup.”

A three-quarter brother to the Chris Waller-trained Foreteller – who is now the last horse to beat Puissance de Lune after his narrow victory over the grey in last Saturday’s Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes – Hornets’ Nest had just two starts for Lee Freedman before being resold.

In both races last year he failed to beat a runner home, at Mornington over 1600m (January 1) and Werribee over 2000m (January 15). Both were on rock-hard surfaces.

McNamara said he thought Hornets’ Nest was probably cast aside because he preferred the sting out of the ground and was a hard horse to train.

“He’s a real head case when you’re working him. He can be a handful,” McNamara said.

The $2500 buy has already proven to be a bargain, especially as Hornets’ Nest was rumoured to have cost his original owners in excess of $700,000.

Last year, in his first run for McNamara, he won on a heavy 10 at Warrnambool over 1700m, paying a massive $85 on the Victorian TAB.

Eleven days later, over 1600m on a heavy 8 track at Ararat, he won again at juicy odds, saluting at $13. Proving his ability, he backed up nine days later to win the Coleraine Cup (1800m) on a dead 5 track, again at the generous odds of $13.

But without a doubt his biggest win was in the $50,000 Showcase Benchmark 89 Handicap (2200m) at Warrnambool on October 12, where he defeated current Melbourne Cup favourite Puissance De Lune by a half-length.

The Darren Weir-trained star was $1.20 with bookmakers and probably would have won the race if not for interference, but the winner was bold in victory.

Hornets’ Nest, who was again $13 that day, went straight to the paddock after that run, while Puissance De Lune went on to win the Listed Bendigo Cup (2400m) by eight lengths and the Group 3 Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2600m) at Flemington by five lengths.

McNamara said seeing Puissance De Lune push forward after running second to Hornets’ Nest gave him confidence that his gelding was capable of racing at the top level.

“I’m not saying the horse is better than (Puissance De Lune), but I am confident he can go to that level,” he said.

“If I’m wrong, I reckon he’ll be winning plenty of $80,000 races in Melbourne over the quieter periods.”

McNamara said he and the horse’s owners, who are all friends and family, were having a great time and enjoying the thrill of preparing for big races.

“The only city starters I’ve ever had were Dinna Later, who raced over the jumps at Sandown, and Streets Apart, who raced at Moonee Valley last month. I’ve never had a winner in town.

“I’m hoping that will change soon.

“If someone offered me a million dollars for the horse I wouldn’t take it, because we’re having so much fun with him.”

Hornets’ Nest opened as a $301 chance to win the Cox Plate with TAB Sportsbet and McNamara said he had “a little bet on him … just in case”.

Hot2Trot View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot2Trot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 2:25pm
He's dreaming...., but nothing wrong with that.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 2:31pm
Foreteller's win means the horse might be pretty good. Spoke to McNamara about an hour ago and he reckons he can run top five on Saturday and said he's a good place bet at $20.

If he had not of injured himself at Warrnambool and won the race as expected (was $21 into $6 that day) then his record would be flawless under the trainer.

Puissance De Lune was a moral beaten that day, but don't underestimate Hornets' Nest.
Hot2Trot View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot2Trot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 3:10pm
I think you're buying into this Cinderella story MR.  On my ratings, to win the Cox Plate he would need to improve over 10 lengths on his effort to beat PDL at Warrnambool.  PDL was nowhere near his best that day.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 3:13pm
You and I both know he has no chance of winning the Cox Plate. I don't even think PDL can win it.

But if you take out a couple of those runners in Saturday's race it's not worthy of Group 2 status.

I can dream Big smile
Hot2Trot View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot2Trot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 3:21pm
I wish you luck.  He is well bred so he has some upside there, and the trainer probably didn't get to the bottom of him last prep - more upside.  If you can get 50/1 the place there are probably worse bets on the program.
room for a slew View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote room for a slew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 6:00pm
I took the $19.50 fixed place
Yesterday after seeing the forecast.

Into $6.50 place now

Hopefully all the villagers got on early!
Punterforlife View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Punterforlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by room for a slew room for a slew wrote:

Into $6.50 place now

I just got $81 the place Bet365 Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 6:06pm
I got $201 and $34 with B365 (actually I opened an account in my wife's name as I am heavily restricted)

This was posted yesterday from Hornets' Nest Facebook page, administered by trainer James McNamara and probably his wife Lisa.

"The horse is now 80-1 in from 100-1 with TAB sportsbet, he is now 100-1 in from 200-1 with sportsbet and Tom Waterhouse but if you want to have a few bucks each way then set up a bet365 account (only takes 3-4 mins) because you can still get 200-1 and 34-1 a place which is the best ive been able to find anywhere! Looks great value!"
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Punterforlife Punterforlife wrote:

Originally posted by room for a slew room for a slew wrote:

Into $6.50 place now

I just got $81 the place Bet365 Wink

Clap
racinglover View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racinglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 6:19pm
I think people are in dream land here but I can spare a few for $81 the place. 
Punterforlife View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Punterforlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by racinglover racinglover wrote:

I think people are in dream land here but I can spare a few for $81 the place. 

Probably, but at $81 you don't need much on to make it interesting! Prob a moral to run 4th LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 6:22pm
Wins by two lengths with his head on his chest Cool

* in dream land
Hot2Trot View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot2Trot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 8:34pm
The only interest in this horse is that he beat PDL, when that horse was clearly not at his best.  I think people need to consider the run without PDL in the race.  That would have Hornets Nest winning the Warrnambool race by 3.7 lengths from Lakedro.  Consider this, its been 3.5 years and 31 starts since Lakedro won a race anywhere!  How far do you think Lakedro would be beaten in the Data Tan Chin Nam?  20+ lengths is my guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>