RaceRate.com
Vinery Stud

Follow us on twitter

Join Sportingbet
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by filling out the web form on our Home Page. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Hilton Donaldson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ardroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hilton Donaldson
    Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 3:10pm
I have read numerous post here in the past giving a serve to Hilton Donaldson but have stayed out of the discussions as racecalling is such a difficult task that can easily make a fool of the best callers.
However, two of his efforts today cannot go without mention and question of "what was he thinking"'.

Firstly, he tried his best to force a protest against Das Machen in a call which almost had you believing the second horse (beaten over 2 lengths) was going over the rail. Result: No protest!
Then his efforts to get the Darren Weir trained Maunatrice (same trainer of the horse so horribly interferred with earlier) over the line he had it in front about a furlong out. It never got to the lead!
Gyno was in front the entire length of the straight and while Maunatrice got very close on the line, I don't think it hit the lead at any stage. The only saviour for poor Hilton was that he did opt for Gyno in the finish (after looking at about three relpays).
Does he think that nobody watches the races - or doesn't he think outside his pocket!
Sponsored Links
No betting account? JOIN NOW for a $100 Free Bet ñ 200% Deposit Bonus!

Hay List View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hay List Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 3:23pm
I like his comment on an earlier race .... " I cant tell who has won both horses have hit the line going at different speeds .

WTF
Formerly known as Crash       
whatashotbyseve View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whatashotbyseve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 3:24pm
It is a wonder how he still is in a job. I guess SA has the lowest racing profile of any state so his incompetence sneaks under the national radar. 
razzle10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzle10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 3:33pm
All I can say about Hilton is Pathetic he stops me betting in Adelaide with his calling I know I can not call a snail race by jesus neither can he 
Here's Cheers to the frigging weekend I'm off to the races
Phazeal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phazeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 3:51pm
I think he goes just fine. He used to be pretty shabby many years back but in the last year or two he has become more accurate, more colourful and his timing is much better.

Regarding his comments on the Das Machen race, he was spot on. The jockey will get time for sure. The only reason there was no protest was because of the winning margin. The rider of the second jockey is not a complete idiot, nor was Hilton (in this instance, at least). I didn't see the second incident you are referring to :)

He still has some slip-ups but is quite high in the national pool of callers, even if he is still a ways off GM and AT, etc. It is no disgrace to be the 5th best metropolitan caller considering his opposition :)
ardroy View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ardroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 3:54pm
Don't get me wrong, I hate to be a knocker of anyone in this business, trainers, jockeys or callers as it is a tough trade. I have no doubt Das machen did interfere with the second horse but his over-reaction was a bit over the top. He did clarify on second thought that the winning margin would preclude a protest.
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 4:29pm
Fair enough Ardroy, good clarification the interference race.  Dunno if he can call or not, but for mine Donaldson simply called it as he saw it and that's what I like in any caller.

As for the other race, maybe Maunatrice momentarily hit the lead or maybe not, but with two others also featuring thought it a competent and unbiased call over the last 200m.

It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
rubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 5:42pm
Just one thing - yes Maunatrice was in front and clearly inside the final 50m.  Guyno fought back in the last couple of bounds to get the win.  I have the photos - and when they were directly side on to me Maunatrice was in front perhaps by half a neck and looked like going onto the win but that Perth horse must have really come back strongly on the line.  Lady Avacan looked the biggest threat at that moment too.
Muppet Central View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muppet Central Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 5:49pm
Hilton D is so much like Ron Papps of yesteryear

both are/were colourful and unique with their calls but you couldnt count on them to give you the correct calls

this has been the case for years so continuing to highlight the fact is getting so standard

if you are listening the HD more often than not you are watching as well as Terry Macauliffe is the radio caller and much more accurate

I for one like his passion and enthusiasm even if that means the accuracy suffers...
Vain View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 8:08pm
Spot on Muppet.
Keep them honest
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 11:43am
Look I will put my call up of this race on youtube tonight, but I have to admit I thought Maunatrice had the lead as well and actually said Lady Avacan was coming at her at the end.

Can not knock Hilton on that one. 
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
wizzbong View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizzbong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 2:17pm
Hilton would have to be one of the worst callers australia wide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UUMMM i dont know!!!!
Grinnersawinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinnersawinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 2:39pm
one of the best calls in Harness racing history (helped it was one the greatest performances as well)
eachwaypunter View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eachwaypunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Muppet Central Muppet Central wrote:

if you are listening the HD more often than not you are watching as well as Terry Macauliffe is the radio caller and much more accurate
Unfortunately, the Racing Radio networks in NSW and Victoria use Hilton's calls as well, so when you listed on radio you've got no idea how your horse is going.  I wish the radio network would start using McAuliffe in Adelaide and David Fowler in Brisbane.  Leave AT and HD for Sky.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 7:06pm
If Jim Jacques, who calls the trots in SA, is any indication of the race calling talent in SA I can see how Hilton Donaldson gets a gig, Jacques is hopeless he makes every race sounds like the Interdominion Final or the Melbourne Cup.
Dichez View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dichez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 7:14pm
hilton donaldson is no good....... full stop.......... punting public deserve better
Being punctual means you spend most of your life waiting for others
VPI View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by eachwaypunter eachwaypunter wrote:

Unfortunately, the Racing Radio networks in NSW and Victoria use Hilton's calls as well, so when you listed on radio you've got no idea how your horse is going.  I wish the radio network would start using McAuliffe in Adelaide and David Fowler in Brisbane.  Leave AT and HD for Sky.
Think sky radio may stick with 'em.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 7:32pm
Remember the "good" old days?   A radio broadcast if you were lucky. Now we have wall to wall live broadcasts and updates with what is happening on track etc etc et f**king cetera....These days make the "good" old days look antiquated.   Yet still we find reason to f**king whine and moan and f**king groan....ffs...turn the sound down and watch the pic...or do your own f**king call....see how you compare later when you watch the replay with the volume up....posted without abuse ...just love and an opinionHeart
Muppet Central View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muppet Central Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Bundy Bundy wrote:

Remember the "good" old days?   A radio broadcast if you were lucky. Now we have wall to wall live broadcasts and updates with what is happening on track etc etc et f**king cetera....These days make the "good" old days look antiquated.   Yet still we find reason to f**king whine and moan and f**king groan....ffs...turn the sound down and watch the pic...or do your own f**king call....see how you compare later when you watch the replay with the volume up....posted without abuse ...just love and an opinionHeart

correct weight Bundy

TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 7:58pm
Australia has the best racecallers in the world,i think its time Hilton Donaldson moved overseas.
Hidden In Hollywood
MannyG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MannyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 8:02pm
Hilton Donladson used to call trots? Did not know that...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 8:06pm
I had the trots a couple of times...Heart
Phazeal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phazeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 6:48am

Can't really argue with this :)

He has improved markedly over time and will continue to improve.

I was in the car for the first at Flemington on Saturday and Greg Miles was calling four fighting it out then called a completely different horse the winner after they had crossed the line. Even the best in the business can find it hard sometimes :)
Platinum View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Phazeal Phazeal wrote:

Can't really argue with this :)

He has improved markedly over time and will continue to improve.

I was in the car for the first at Flemington on Saturday and Greg Miles was calling four fighting it out then called a completely different horse the winner after they had crossed the line. Even the best in the business can find it hard sometimes :)

True but that was a finish thats 1 in 1000   
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 7:07am
For the people giving Hilton the thumbs up,imagine him calling in Melbourne over the Carnival,wonder how you would feel about that...
Hidden In Hollywood
bs View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 7:11am
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Look I will put my call up of this race on youtube tonight, but I have to admit I thought Maunatrice had the lead as well and actually said Lady Avacan was coming at her at the end.

Can not knock Hilton on that one. 

Well that will clarify it.
A bloke calling the Adelaide races from his lounge room in Sydney who thinks Darren Flindell is crossing to him from Hong Kong.Confused
travo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 7:03pm
I have been one of the many to bag Hilton on this site, and while I try very hard, I can't stop now.
Each week this drongo sh*ts me every time I watch a South Aussie race.
Surely SKY TV can pay one of the up and comers to travel to Adelaide and call each Sat and Wed.
Even bring old Jack STYRING (82 old or something) out of retirement.

Hilton you are terrible, I even feel sorry for you now.  I thought the aussie cricket team was the hardest team to get out of even when you were performing bad, but SKY is worse.  Does Andrew Hilditch have a say in SKY?  Both South Aussies?  
It's only a rort if you're not in it.......
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 8:56pm
Maybe Hilton knows something that he has vowed to reveal if he isn't allowed to call Adelaide races for the rest of his life? :D
newcastle nobody View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newcastle nobody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 3:59am
Originally posted by Grinnersawinner Grinnersawinner wrote:

one of the best calls in Harness racing history (helped it was one the greatest performances as well)

they sat in single file going round and round who couldnt call that?

donaldson is so bad the boys in my pub are always laughing at the end of the races he calls.

he makes a stuff up in about 50% of his calls.
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 6:12am
I reckon he is a major reason whu the image of SA racing is ordinary.
He is the 'shopfront' so to speak , for so many people , and he simply isnt apealing to viewers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic