Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Herbert Power Stakes (2400 METRES)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Herbert Power Stakes (2400 METRES)
    Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 1:05pm
Race 9 - Ladbrokes Herbert Power Stakes (2400 METRES)Times displayed in local time of Race Meeting
Of $400,000.1st $240,000, 2nd $72,000, 3rd $36,000, 4th $18,000, 5th $10,000, 6th $8,000, 7th $8,000, 8th $8,000
Prize money contribution totalling 2% will be directed to jockey and equine welfare prior to distributionGROUP 2
Quality, Maidens at time of entry are ineligible, Apprentices cannot claim.

Track Name: Main Track Type: Turf Track Condition: Good 3 

Field Limit: 16 + 4 EM

Last 10HorseSexAgeTrainerHcp Rating
17x39x12x13ALOFT (IRE)G6Robert Hickmott100
20x0D71x000AMRALAH (IRE)H8Robert Hickmott101
31135104x08ANNUS MIRABILIS (IRE)G7Stuart Webb100
49210x71x04ASSIGN (IRE)G7Robert Hickmott104
521113x5502BIG DUKE (IRE)G6Darren Weir106
6x11x330x90BONDI BEACH (IRE)G6Robert Hickmott104
7516510x393BOOM TIMEH6David & B Hayes & T Dabernig102
81x1x21x322CROCODILE ROCK (IRE)G6Robert Hickmott84
9184260x504FANATIC (NZ)M5David & B Hayes & T Dabernig90
10830x33x241FOUNDRY (IRE)H8Robert Hickmott101
110x46x11x8xFRANCIS OF ASSISI (IRE)G8Charlie Appleby107
12x031x270x0GALLANTE (IRE)G7Robert Hickmott101
1321x3811x76GALLIC CHIEFTAIN (FR)H5Darren Weir93
14x34340x468HARLOW GOLD (NZ)M4David & B Hayes & T Dabernig93
153x5126x696INFERENCEH4Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes105
16x2133x0204KHEZERABAD (FR)G6Aaron Purcell70
17624x42x32xKIDMENEVER (IRE)H5Charlie Appleby100
18155x515x21LORD FANDANGO (GER)H5Archie Alexander88
1922x141x40xQEWY (IRE)G8Charlie Appleby105
20050x008401SWACADELIC (GER)G7Aaron Purcell84
21011x6248x2WALL OF FIRE (IRE)H5Hugo Palmer105

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 7:37pm
Kidmenever has an interesting back story. Seems like it has been disappointing or just hard to figure out so far, and a trip to Oz is a roll of the dice. Might just thrive here. Looking forward to seeing what he does.
"She's going through a growth phase." - GW
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 8:39pm
I notice Charlie Appleby's are coming out here this year without a run or off a spell.

It looks like the old England trainer view, that because we won everything or ran well last spring we just have to turn up and we will win.

My advice to Charlie is to watch Vintage Crops three Melbourne cup runs. Kinnane just thought he had to sit and steer in the two he lost and he would win. Did not work out that way.

There are some nice gallopers in this race, Aloft, crocodile Rock, Foundry, Fanatic and this is a race Inference would need to show up in if he wants to be a cups hope.

Intriguing race!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 8:50pm
Herbert Power Stakes / Melbourne Cup Double

1999: Rogan Josh

1978: Arwon

1976: Van Der Hum

1973: Gala Supreme

1944: Sirius

1942: Colonus

1906: Poseidon

Other Information

Since 1970 the following Melbourne Cup winners have run in the Herbert Power Stakes before going on to win the Cup in the same year, below is how they performed in the Herbert Power Stakes:

2015: Prince Of Penzance - 8th

2014: Protectionist - 4th

2009: Shocking - 2nd

1999: Rogan Josh - 1st

1986: At Talaq - 4th

1981: Just A Dash - 7th

1980: Beldale Ball - 2nd

1978: Arwon - 1st

1976: Van Der Hum - 1st

1973: Gala Supreme - 1st

1970: Baghdad Note - 2nd

Other Information

2005: Leica Falcon won the Herbert Power (then called the Winning Edge Presentation Stakes) and then went on to run 4th in the Melbourne Cup.

2004: Zazzman ran 3rd in the Herbert Power (then called the Winning Edge Presentation Stakes), and went on to rin 3rd in the Melbourne Cup.

1996: Skybeau ran 3rd in the Herbert Power Stakes (then called the Quick Eze Stakes), and went on to run 3rd in the Melbourne Cup.
It's always good when a WA horse does well in the Eastern States or abroad.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

I notice Charlie Appleby's are coming out here this year without a run or off a spell.

It looks like the old England trainer view, that because we won everything or ran well last spring we just have to turn up and we will win.

My advice to Charlie is to watch Vintage Crops three Melbourne cup runs. Kinnane just thought he had to sit and steer in the two he lost and he would win. Did not work out that way.

There are some nice gallopers in this race, Aloft, crocodile Rock, Foundry, Fanatic and this is a race Inference would need to show up in if he wants to be a cups hope.

Intriguing race!

They've all been in training a long time, including during quarantine.
Francis Of Assisi races in August (his only run since his triumphant Melbourne prep) so I'm happy to follow what Appleby decides.

Also keen to see which horse McEvoy rides in this race. Great record on Appleby's horses here.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:14pm
Mind you the Caulfield Cup might be a target for one or two of his.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:49pm
Kerrin riding in Sidney Saturday (Redzel)
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:54am
Thanks horlicks.

I'll go out on a limb now and say only Kidmenever will run in the Herbert Power.
That will leave Francis Of Assisi to run in the Caul Cup the following week.
Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:50pm
I think Charlie knows a little bit about training stayers. After Qewy won the Sandown Cup last year, he resumed at Ascot over 4355m and ran a nice race. I would not be too concerned about his horses being fit.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:38pm
I agree Rhino he does.

But last year they nearly all won at their first run here, and this year they look like they are going the Protectionist route, who ran 4th in his fit-up run in the Herbert Power, and then came out and improved about 8 lengths at Flemington.

I am just saying that his runners in the cup, and Francis's run in the Queen Elizabeth, may have reorganised his strategy.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:48pm
I'm a massive Appleby fan Voyager (yes talking through my kick). Really appreciate your thoughts and it will be interesting to see how it plays out this weekend.
Breeding Above All View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 7:12am
Looks a nice race.. Lloyd v Charlie
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:08pm
Croc rock pulled pin.. very surprising... camp was confident he had what it takes to contend in camps..
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:56am
Aloft looks very suited for this race.. looking Very well placed in this race
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:29pm
Thoughts on the Herbert Power winner?

As we know the winner of the Herbert Power can not recieve a penalty for the Caulfield Cup which is one ofthe conditions of the Herbert Power in relation to the Caulfield Cup, however, the Herbert Power winner may recieve a penalty for the Melbourne Cup at the discretion of the handicapper.

The winner won by a length carrying 53kg......the runner-up finished 2nd with 58kg.

I cant see anymore then a 0.5kg to 1kg penalty for the Melbourne Cup, the winner currently has 50kg for the bug 2-miler.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

As we know the winner of the Herbert Power can not recieve a penalty for the Caulfield Cup which is one ofthe conditions of the Herbert Power in relation to the Caulfield Cup, however, the Herbert Power winner may recieve a penalty for the Melbourne Cup at the discretion of the handicapper.

The winner won by a length carrying 53kg......the runner-up finished 2nd with 58kg.

I cant see anymore then a 0.5kg to 1kg penalty for the Melbourne Cup, the winner currently has 50kg for the bug 2-miler.

Jamal, I can't find the winner Lord Fandango in the Melb Cup weights.
The runner up Wall Of Fire has 53 kgs and 31st in order of entry.

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

Jamal, I can't find the winner Lord Fandango in the Melb Cup weights.
The runner up Wall Of Fire has 53 kgs and 31st in order of entry.

Thats correct mate, the Herbert Power winner is not in the Melb Cup weights.

Question is - if it did win the Caulfield Cup....dies it get into theMelb Cuo field despite nit being an acceptor....does the VRC accept late nominatuons?
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 10:14pm
Not allowed to run in the MC.
Failure to pay up is the end of story.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 10:26pm
I wonder why they didnt pay up??? Normally Herbert Power winners are nominated and paid up...

Maybe they dont think the horse canrun 3200m and / or not good enough?
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 10:30pm

On my numbers rates about 4 lengths behind the Bart Cummings.

Would need to meet the key runners from that a lot better on weight terms.  Considering that winner drops to 51kgs - cannot see any of them figuring in the C.Cup
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 10:32pm

I wonder why they didnt pay up??? Normally Herbert Power winners are nominated and paid up...

Benella Cup just doesn't provide enuff funds to supplement going to Flemington.

BTW How often does the Benalla Cup/Caulfield Cup show up in the record books ?
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

Benella Cup just doesn't provide enuff funds to supplement going to Flemington.

BTW How often does the Benalla Cup/Caulfield Cup show up in the record books ?

No idea however BLACK KNIGHT won the 1984 Benalla Cup and went on to win the Melbourne Cup.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Sir Gov Sir Gov wrote:

As we know the winner of the Herbert Power can not recieve a penalty for the Caulfield Cup which is one ofthe conditions of the Herbert Power in relation to the Caulfield Cup, however, the Herbert Power winner may recieve a penalty for the Melbourne Cup at the discretion of the handicapper

I think winner drops to 50kg.

On my numbers rates about 4 lengths behind the Bart Cummings.

Would need to meet the key runners from that a lot better on weight terms.  Considering that winner drops to 51kgs - cannot see any of them figuring in the C.Cup
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 10:47pm
Winner drops to 50kg
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:04pm

Winner drops to 50kg

Meets Amelie's Star worse off at the weights (she drops 3.5kgs to his 3kgs) & already had about 4L to make up on her. 

Barriers will help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic