Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.
Punters, click here for everything about betting: Villagebet - Community of punters.

Hendra Vaccine & The Industry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hendra Vaccine & The Industry
    Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 9:18am
Click here to find out more!

Kelso Wood supports mandatory vaccination against Hendra virus despite widespread ramifications

Kelso Wood

Kelso Wood is one of several Eagle Farm trainers to have already vaccinated his stable against the deadly virus. Picture: Peter Bull Source: The Courier-Mail

LEADING trainer Kelso Wood has thrown his weight behind Racing Queensland's plans for a mandatory vaccination against the deadly Hendra virus despite concerns it could alienate the state from the rest of the country.

Wood is one of several Eagle Farm trainers to have already vaccinated his stable and says the injections have had no effect on their performance.

His team, including Group 1 winner Sizzling, are now due for booster shots after having the initial injections two months ago.

It just takes a load off your mind, especially with the human factor," Wood said.

"You would hate anything to happen to someone when the vaccine is there to protect against it and it would destroy racing if there was a breakout."

Breeders and some trainers are wary of the wider ramifications, the most notable being the refusal of a number of countries to accept racehorses that have had the vaccination.

Breeders will strongly resist any moves to make vaccination mandatory until other racing jurisdictions around the world approve it.

Sizzling

Group 1 winner Sizzling is due for booster shots after having initial vaccination injections against the Hendra virus two months ago. Picture: Jono Searle

"We are grateful to have a vaccine, but we don't know what the long term effects are yet," Thoroughbred Breeders Australia chief executive Chauncey Morris said.

"Time needs to demonstrate it's safe. The science is going to have to speak for the vaccine.

"We demand forthright information on horses coming to Australia and our trading partners quite rightly insist on the same thing."

Pat Duff, President, Australian Trainers Association Queensland Branch, said there needed to be a national approach.

"If there are no ongoing problems I believe the trainers would be supportive," Duff said.

"But if it was going to come in, it would need to be on a national level. One state would hardly be able to go it alone.

"We wouldn't want a situation where there's one rule for some and another for others. It would create a monster."

Queensland Thoroughbred Breeders President Basil Nolan has questioned the cost of the vaccine and wants time to see if there are any side effects.

"There's no way we will vaccinate any young stock, because straight away you rule out 40 per cent of your potential market," he said.

An example of how widespread the issue has become can be gauged by leading Hunter Valley nursery Coolmore Stud, which has vaccinated the entire broodmare band on the farm.

Edited by Gay3 - 02 Aug 2013 at 9:19am
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
Sponsored Links

JoH View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 9:31am
Received this yesterday ...

Did you realise this if you are entering Sydney next year:

Equestrian NSW for example has just announced that: “As of January 1, 2014, all horses attending any Equestrian Australia/FEI event conducted in NSW considered a Hendra vaccinated event (an event in which one or more horses are staying overnight) will be fully protected against Hendra virus as per the manufacturer’s registered label claim. Event organisers of HVEs must refuse entry to anyone who cannot verify their horses have been fully vaccinated.”

and this for the Qld RAS just gone:
http://www.royalqueenslandshow.com.au/media/43776/hendra_vaccination_special_offer_for_ekka_2013.pdf

suck it up ... Life isn't run at w.f.a. :)
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 3:51pm
On speaking to my vet , he says that it will need two shots initially and then every six months after that until they can work out how effective the vaccine will be .
Also you can not export any vaccinated horses to HK either . If you bought a vaccinated colt at the sales with the hope of onselling to HK , you wont be allowed to until they change their protocols on the vaccine .
If I lived in Qld I would probably vaccinate though .
Munga Rangi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munga Rangi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by JoH JoH wrote:

Received this yesterday ...

Did you realise this if you are entering Sydney next year:

Equestrian NSW for example has just announced that: “As of January 1, 2014, all horses attending any Equestrian Australia/FEI event conducted in NSW considered a Hendra vaccinated event (an event in which one or more horses are staying overnight) will be fully protected against Hendra virus as per the manufacturer’s registered label claim. Event organisers of HVEs must refuse entry to anyone who cannot verify their horses have been fully vaccinated.”

and this for the Qld RAS just gone:
http://www.royalqueenslandshow.com.au/media/43776/hendra_vaccination_special_offer_for_ekka_2013.pdf

Sydney did the same for EI too, JoH

Caveat emptor
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 4:29pm
How does this go for our eventing horses in Australia.  Does this mean they will no longer be welcome for Olympics etc it treated, but unable to compete in Australia if not.  It will cause some outcries if that is the case.
JoH View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 6:31pm
only musing here Furious but if that were likely you'd probably find all Olympic qualifying events  at Werribee and Gawler and Vic and SA EFA/FEI expecting all competing horses from Nth NSW & Qld to have been through some sort of isolation (from possible exposure to Hendra) after they've been tested clear.
It could potentially have some serious impact on endurance riding as well.  Some major studs / trainers /competitiors and exporters in Vic but also some BIG operations in Qld and NSW.

One helluva can of worms for everyone ... 

suck it up ... Life isn't run at w.f.a. :)
On The Range View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote On The Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 10:15pm
I'm told by local vets (Southern NSW) that to compete at Brisbane Royal your horse must be vaccinated and as Joh reports I'm also told there has been a major rejection by endurance horse owners to the vaccination, due to the fact that UAE refuse to accept import of vaccinated horses. Also while the vaccine has a 2nd permit in Aus, it is not yet approved in Aus. Side effects not yet fully evaluated, including effects on pregnant mares. Here is the link to the NSW EA Policy: http://www.nsw.equestrian.org.au/default.asp?Page=33190
ENJOY View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ENJOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 11:45pm
 look up ..............Thailand  Bat  Virus  Henipauirus  wikipedia 
Oritah View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oritah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 12:24am
So have any racing people vaccinated? 

EA have now delayed the bylaw, mostly because of some very well known riders objecting.... 

goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 8:02am
My farrier is close to refusing to work on a horse if not vaccinated here in NQ. I haven't yet due to the lack of scientific data , no official trials done is a worry , just rushed in due to widespread panic. This is not allowed to happen with drugs or vaccines developed for the general population . If a drug or vaccine is developed it is strictly trialled and monitored . I am all for the vaccine but would like to see if there are any long term effects with fertility and immunity . Covering of water troughs , feed bins and removing known bat feeding trees is just as important imo , though if your horse is in a bat flight path, vaccination is almost a must do .
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 9:34am
I'm glad it doesn't affect me at this stage as I've read some horrendous stories of post vacc problems, on FB where I think they have a couple of groups addressing it Confused
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 11:23am
I would be interested in the post Vac stories Gay , as we know our mare is a sensitive type and reacts to various external influences , if the information is private could you pm me .
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 2:57pm
There are 2 groups that come up on the search dropdown, Hendra Virus & Hendra Awareness Group which claims to be neutral, just there for ppl to add their experiences. I'm not a member but had a quick scroll for anything relevant & there's this for starters:

Once again, I am feeling a bit torn about the hendra vaccine... im due shortly to get my horses 4th shot done (2nd 6 month booster), but I have a friend who has had a horse have a very bad reaction and she nearly lost him, and tells me there are hundreds of others. (I won't name her but was chatting to her about it and it has me worried) it is so just untested, and I had been happy getting it done...and my own 2 horses have so far had no bad reactions to it... but now I am getting worried again.... also, it seems to be this 4th shot alot of horses do get reactions to from what I'm hearing on the grapevine.... what to do.... I want to chat to my vet about it, but what are other peoples thoughts?? I have 2 weeks to decide till due date, tho I believe you can go past due date by 5 weeks, and maybe even 6 months I heard today without having to ''start again''??
lourdes View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lourdes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 9:35pm
I've heard that the vacc last the 12 month
and the AMPV is taking it's sweet ass time to release the new labelling .....,

So from what I can gather
you have your initial 2 primer shots 3 weeks apart
then 6 month booster
and you get put on vaccinated register

however if you don't need the certification from the register
you can allow it to go 12 monthly
horse will be covered but not certified on register .....

and when the vacc is approved for full use ( still,on permit ) it will be the initial 2 then 6 month then 12 month
and tthey will back date once it has been 12 month approved

hope this makes some sort of sence :)
Oritah View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oritah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 12:36am
I think the AMPV hold up is due to under reporting of reactions, and lack of data being released. 

The 6 month booster seems to be a money grab.... It either covers the horse for 12 months or it doesnt.... Appears to be aimed at those who compete... 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic