Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Heat Wave Black Outs ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 1:01am
I'm a believer in Nuclear power stations.

Before anybody freaks out, what happened in Fukushima was a combination of poor upkeep of the facility, plus it being faced with an EXTREME natural disaster.

Not only would we keep on top of the upkeep of any new facilities, but we don't have the problem of severe earthquakes nor tsunami's in Australia to begin with.

Put them completely away from any houses, problem solved, after all we do have a ton of uranium in the ground.

Oh wait, what's that i hear, the green's losing their gelati over the idea, and labor disagreeing coz it's the liberals who suggested it, and also coz their hoping to drum up some nuclear fear campaign and steal votes from the liberals.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 5:29am
Originally posted by Beliskner Beliskner wrote:

Before anybody freaks out, what happened in Fukushima was a combination of poor upkeep of the facility, plus it being faced with an EXTREME natural disaster.

Not only would we keep on top of the upkeep of any new facilities, but we don't have the problem of severe earthquakes nor tsunami's in Australia to begin with.

Put them completely away from any houses, problem solved, after all we do have a ton of uranium in the ground.

Oh wait, what's that i hear, the green's losing their gelati over the idea, and labor disagreeing coz it's the liberals who suggested it, and also coz their hoping to drum up some nuclear fear campaign and steal votes from the liberals.

I have no objections to nuclear from a safety perspective, but nuclear power plants are hideously expensive to start up. Just not the right way forward for a sparsely populated country with an abundance of renewable energy resources imo.

Of course the cost of nuclear could be offset by an emissions trading scheme or carbon tax, making it more economically viable, but we know who won't go in for that.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 6:09am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Stay Calm and build more coal fired power stations ... it's just a matter of time now.

That would be like prescribing increased alcohol consumption to dull the pain of cirrhosis of the liver.

Nobody is going to invest in coal fired power stations in Australia because they know it will lose money.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 6:28am
No instead they all want us to put solar on the roof.  Just wish the cost would go down a bit.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Stay Calm and build more coal fired power stations ... it's just a matter of time now.

Who's going to build more when there's no need to build more
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 9:05am
Engie, the owner of Pelican Pt Power Station, says it wasn't allowed to bid extra power into the market before load shedding
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 5:57pm

I really don't get the hysteria around nuclear ... I've lived all my life in the shadows of a nuclear reactor, as have most people in southern Sydney ... Lucas Heights.Confused
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

I have no objections to nuclear from a safety perspective, but nuclear power plants are hideously expensive to start up. Just not the right way forward for a sparsely populated country with an abundance of renewable energy resources imo.

Of course the cost of nuclear could be offset by an emissions trading scheme or carbon tax, making it more economically viable, but we know who won't go in for that.

What about the cost effectiveness long term vs other power generation methods?

Not too mention it would allow us to close down at least some coal powered stations.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 6:12pm
If we started building nuclear reactors in Australia tomorrow they would be white elephants years before going online.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 6:41pm
Yep
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 6:43pm
I'm not saying lets build 5 at the same time, how about one at a time?
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 6:53pm
Don't worry about it Bel ... no blackouts in Bankstown today, 10 degrees cooler tomorrow, all is good ... who cares about the rest of the 3rd world country anyway!
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 6:58pm
why were races cancelled in Sydney, weather forecast was 39, they have raced at that temp in other places ?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 7:18pm
They use a light bulb or similar term to gauge a reading between temp & humidity. I imagine this was well into the red zone & racing horses under that scenario can wreck their potential, remember, they only have to be affected by a couple of lengths to be unviable at the level they're racing at.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 7:33pm
There would have been mass scratchings, tons of people wouldn't have gone to the races, common sense decision.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 7:33pm
Any one who looks where the runners come from in the high weight today would have noticed some would have spent 8 or more hours travelling in a float , suicidal IMO.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

They use a light bulb or similar term to gauge a reading between temp & humidity. I imagine this was well into the red zone & racing horses under that scenario can wreck their potential, remember, they only have to be affected by a couple of lengths to be unviable at the level they're racing at.

Wet bulb Gay
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 7:49pm
Not too mention, i'd imagine the owners of the more expensive bloodstock, would not have been very inclined to see their bloodstock race, even if they had to pay some pocket change fine.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 7:58pm
Thanks horlicks Wink
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 8:30pm
Here at our official weather station it read 46.4 at 2.20pm  this arvo and tomorrow is predicted to be worse, with a high wind, so just pray no fires start.  
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 9:01pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 5:26am
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 8:56am
Extra fire units have been brought in to the Hunter for this weekend .   I just heard ours go screaming out of town so fingers crossed its not the National Park alight.   Anywhere would be bad enough, but OMG if the park starts up !  Its never burned in the over 22 years we have been here .  Its full of beautiful native critters , and the brumbies are very nice looking horses.  If a fire starts in there it will be terrible. 
I bet its stinking at Furious,s place today ???
Stay safe everyone , and lets hope we can get thru today with no nut bags lighting fires. 
animals before people.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 9:23am
Wyong has not been called of so things can not be as bad as yesterday temperature wise ?
reductio ad absurdum
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 9:47am
Just home from church.  Fathers sermon was about five words to the effect pray for cooler weather and out in just over 1/2 hour.  Poor man in his robes was just about melting away.  No aircon in out church and the fan wasn't having much effect!

To early to be over the 40 yet but creeping closer by the minute.  Dogs are inside and happy and we intend to see Hidden Figures this afternoon and escape the worst of it.

Should be catching up of yesterdays work but brain is so fried its hard to motivate myself.  But tomorrow is suposed to be cooler and I'm thinking I might make the races. Never seen the new Randwick.  Can't go of a Saturday but Monday is one of my slower days of catchup and I can catchup at night and see Winx.  Wont go if she's not running though.

Stay safe everyone and hope no major fires in the Hunter with all the livestock that is there and all the stud staff who are at the sales!
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 11:41am
Stay safe Furious, and everyone else too.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 12:56pm
Southerly just hitting Bankstown now ... hope everyone gets it soon!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 1:00pm
Up or downwind of the Muslims?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 1:16pm
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 1:45pm
They are downwind ... so I would imagine that it will be a few hours before you cop the stench of them PT, if that is your concern.Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>