Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Group 1 TJ Smith Stakes (1200m)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Group 1 TJ Smith Stakes (1200m)
    Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 1:20pm
Race 0 - T J SMITH STAKES (1200 METRES)
Of $1,000,000.1st $600,000, 2nd $200,000, 3rd $100,000, 4th $50,000, 5th $20,000, 6th $10,000, 7th $10,000, 8th $10,000, Starter Subsidy $200 GROUP 1
Standard Weight for Age, Apprentices cannot claim.

Field Limit: 18 + 4 EM

Horse Trainer Hcp Rating
1 ATLANTIC JEWEL Mark Kavanagh 110
2 FOXWEDGE John O'Shea
3 GRACEFUL ANNA David Pfieffer 98
4 HALLOWELL BELLE Gai Waterhouse 99
5 LADYS ANGEL Joseph Pride 98
6 MASTER OF DESIGN David Payne 102
7 MID SUMMER MUSIC Peter G Moody 103
8 NEESON Joseph Pride
9 RAIN AFFAIR Joseph Pride
10 TEMPLE OF BOOM Tony Gollan
11 VARENNA MISS Tony Noonan 104
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Scarface View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 1:22pm
Without Hay List they should start AJ here instead of the Saphire
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 1:27pm
Not the strongest TJ I've seen.  If AJ doesn't run, it should be a ding don't battle between Rain Affair & Foxwedge.  Where is Buffering?
tyson71 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyson71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 1:36pm
How is this race worth $600,000 and a race like the George ryder a mere $240,000 .
Juno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 1:41pm

Prob a good example of why Aus has more handicap races. Newmarket gets a capacity field, this doesn't.  

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 1:42pm
To be fair... this races recent winners list is also good, Black Caviar, Melito, Takeover Target and Apache Cat are the last four winners, and also this is Sydney's premiere sprint for the season, whereas the George Ryder is more of a final hit-out for the Doncaster...  Just a case that for various reasons our top liners couldn't make it here... Biggest surprise is horses like Buffering, Pinwheel, Beaded, Metallurgical, Phelan Ready and maybe a few others havn't had a speccie nomination here just in case at the very least!
princerubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princerubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 1:43pm
I don't think Kav wod run her off an injury but will Coolmore?

Scarface View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 1:44pm
Buffering would've been carrying my money in this if he was running (and AJ went Sapphire)
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 2:06pm
Welcome back Kotter!
Sunline...simply supreme
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 3:47pm
Buffering had 10 days in the paddock after the William Reid. Just come back into work for the winter carnival. We've learnt that he races best on the fresh side. Was always the plan to have 3 runs in Melbourne the a let up. While the TJ became an option when BC came out his last run suggested he had peaked. Stuck with the plan and sent him out. Will resume in the Victory Stakes on 28th.

Back on this field its really fallen away. Only 2 G1 winners among the noms for a $1m WFA race. Only one of those is a definite starter.
Scarface View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 3:53pm
Good to hear everything's okay!

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princerubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

Buffering had 10 days in the paddock after the William Reid. Just come back into work for the winter carnival. We've learnt that he races best on the fresh side. Was always the plan to have 3 runs in Melbourne the a let up. While the TJ became an option when BC came out his last run suggested he had peaked. Stuck with the plan and sent him out. Will resume in the Victory Stakes on 28th.

Back on this field its really fallen away. Only 2 G1 winners among the noms for a $1m WFA race. Only one of those is a definite starter.

You should be running Lordy! very winnable race if AJ doesn't race and a firm track won't suit Rain Affair.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 4:31pm
If only PR. Had you told us in January that BC would contest the lightning, Hay List would be in the Lightning, Newmarket and William Reid but neither would be in the TJ I'm sure we'd have timed things differently. As it stands Buff was just returning from the paddock when Hay List had his colic attack last week. Not enough time to have him ready for a 1200m G1 on Saturday.
jimbob04 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbob04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 5:29pm
foxwege imo

racinglover View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racinglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 6:25pm
To be fair, BC is heading overseas, buffering isn't running for the reasons lordy said and Hay List is obviously in a bad way.

It's only an average field becos those 3 aren't in it.
mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 7:23pm
where is bel sprinter?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princerubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 7:27pm
galaxy bound
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 7:30pm
foxwedge looks obvious but i will be checking out the price of neeson first of all.

if they offer a nice price, then that will be the way to go. anything over $6. 

he won the premiere over this track and distance in the spring and flogged two horses that went on to win group 1's in melbourne and love conquers all who is a top line group 1  horse.

he has the class and would be a worthy winner of a group 1 race. typical sydney good horse that they initially think is a miler and test him out to get to the epsom and the doncaster. now they know he is a sprinter and this will be the race for him to sit off the pace and run away with it. 

rain affair will be the forgottern one and should be equal favourite with foxwedge but likely will be second fav. 

it is a let down on recent races but i think we will still have a worthy winner
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by questions questions wrote:

foxwedge looks obvious but i will be checking out the price of neeson first of all.

he won the premiere over this track and distance in the spring and flogged two horses that went on to win group 1's in melbourne and love conquers all who is a top line group 1  horse.

he has the class and would be a worthy winner of a group 1 race. typical sydney good horse that they initially think is a miler and test him out to get to the epsom and the doncaster. now they know he is a sprinter and this will be the race for him to sit off the pace and run away with it. 

rain affair will be the forgottern one and should be equal favourite with foxwedge but likely will be second fav. 

LCA is a very good horse but not sure I would call him top line. 15 starts in group 1 and 2 races for one win in a group 2. Just has a habit of finding one better. I'd still love to own him though as he's pulled in $1.3m! 
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 8:00pm
No Karuta Queen !?!?

SPRINTER SACRE - "SIMPLY THE BEST"
Blind Faith View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Faith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 8:39pm
AJ is a better filly that Shamekha and Dilly Dally and will win this if they let her.
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by James James wrote:

LCA is a very good horse but not sure I would call him top line. 15 starts in group 1 and 2 races for one win in a group 2. Just has a habit of finding one better. I'd still love to own him though as he's pulled in $1.3m! 

he is a group 1 quality horse and probably best suited over 1200m. i would be backing LCA this week if he was in the TJ. he does have a win over hay list over 1100m. to be honest, the reason i got on the hay list bandwagon early on was because he performed so well up against LCA. i think it is important as a punter to find these type of horses that good horses beat and then guage their wins. 

neeson smashed him and LCA went on to win a 1400m race in melb and then performed well in the emirates. if you beat him and he performs well, you are a good horse to follow. 
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:02pm

Originally posted by James James wrote:

he is a group 1 quality horse and probably best suited over 1200m. i would be backing LCA this week if he was in the TJ. he does have a win over hay list over 1100m. to be honest, the reason i got on the hay list bandwagon early on was because he performed so well up against LCA. i think it is important as a punter to find these type of horses that good horses beat and then guage their wins. 

neeson smashed him and LCA went on to win a 1400m race in melb and then performed well in the emirates. if you beat him and he performs well, you are a good horse to follow. 

I should have also added LCA is a favourite of mine. He won The Shorts in the spring when i got him at a ridiculous $8 and that is one of my biggest ever wins. Still remember the day he beat Haylist as I had Haylist running for a double paying several thousand! The lord giveth and ha taketh away!
Muss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Quezacotl Quezacotl wrote:

No Karuta Queen !?!?

You're joking right?
Keyboard Warrior
correctweight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:36pm

No Karuta Queen !?!?

Under the hammer next month at the Broodmare sales.
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by correctweight correctweight wrote:

No Karuta Queen !?!?

Under the hammer next month at the Broodmare sales.

She's won more barrier trials in record time than any other Chestnut filly in the history of Canberra Quenbeyan racing...she will drop the next Mazda 955 challenge winner in 2014 look out !!

Seriously though I'm surprised to hear this news about her being sold and off to the barn...was she injured somewhere..in one of her barrier trail wins perhaps..?

SPRINTER SACRE - "SIMPLY THE BEST"
Blaster View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Blind Faith Blind Faith wrote:

AJ is a better filly that Shamekha and Dilly Dally and will win this if they let her.

Running in Sapphire
He's Not Heavy,It's My Brother
Blaster View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 11:18am
Race 4 - 1:40PM DARLEY T J SMITH STAKES (1200 METRES)
Of $1,000,000.1st $600,000, 2nd $200,000, 3rd $100,000, 4th $50,000, 5th $20,000, 6th $10,000, 7th $10,000, 8th $10,000, Starter Subsidy $200 GROUP 1
Standard Weight for Age, Apprentices cannot claim.

Field Limit: 18 + 4 EM

No Last 10 Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight Penalty Hcp Rating
1 1111X11161 RAIN AFFAIR Joseph Pride Corey Brown 6 58.5kg 112
2 434410X263 NEESON Joseph Pride 5 58.5kg 108
3 1X1913X903 MASTER OF DESIGN David Payne Craig Williams 4 58.5kg 102
4 X12412X431 FOXWEDGE John O'Shea Nash Rawiller 3 56.5kg 111
5 49115X500X VARENNA MISS Tony Noonan 2 56.5kg 104
6 122224X331 HALLOWELL BELLE Gai Waterhouse Tommy Berry 1 54.5kg 99
He's Not Heavy,It's My Brother
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 11:24am

Thats an interesting way of looking at it.

Is this the SAME race those two fillies ran in ?

Was the race as strong as this one ?

Is Atlantic Jewel a 1200m horse ?

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

Blind Faith View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Faith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 11:51am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Thats an interesting way of looking at it.

Is this the SAME race those two fillies ran in ?
No, they ran in separate races quite a few years ago. I doubt very much that they'll be lining up again.

Was the race as strong as this one ?
Who knows, but they were 3YO fillies taking on older horses and AJ would give both of them windburn, which is partly what my brief comment was about, as I'm sure you know.

Is Atlantic Jewel a 1200m horse ?
According to her record she's unbeaten at 1100, 1200, 1400, 1600, 2000, she gave the star autumn filly a hiding during the spring carnival, she has obvious class and potential, she has incredible acceleration, and she's already a G1 winner. She would've been getting a lot of weight from her two main rivals.

Does this help?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic