Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Grey Clerk Horses - Tradition?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birricannia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grey Clerk Horses - Tradition?
    Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 11:44pm
Wondering how far back the tradition of the grey clerk horse goes? Always seems wrong watching Rosehill races and seeing the Taffy that looks like it jumped out of a My Little Pony book.
Also wondered if there are some good yarns surrounding these vital parts of the game and how they got there.
Owners think they're trainers,trainers think they're jockeys and jockeys don't think
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 12:13am
Just old tradition mate.
It looks shyshouse when they have another plain looking thing,but,it might be a brilliant lead pony and i guess that is more important than looks.
Flemington on ther big days when the 3 or 4 greys looks splendid and the clerks in full hunting attire is a sight to see.
rubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 2:26am
YOu are lusky to find grey ones in Adelaide - current ones from memory are Kymatt (the only regular grey), the chestnut one that raced in Hong Kong, think the other chestnut there today is Gdansk Dancer (or similar), then there is Noble Challenge (bay) and Oxford something that is/was a brown, could be another brown/bay in there somewhere too.  Prim usually has Kaysan there on the big days and is the grey that brings them back to scale on the big days.  Kymatt still holds a sprint time record at Morph too.
birricannia View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birricannia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 4:58am
Thats interesting rubiton, havn't watched SA racing in a while and taken note. Agreed bicarb, looks great to see them all lined up , nice steel greys.
My wife and I bred broke and sold Dusty to Mick Stanley at Randwick (hence my interest in their breeding etc.), he is an ASH and was quite a handful as a youngster, threw himself down a few times saddled and cut the hell out of his hind leg as a youngster - but bloody clever. Anyhow, Mick seems to like a challenge, we went down and watched his first go at it New Years day 08........great time.....bad hangover.
Owners think they're trainers,trainers think they're jockeys and jockeys don't think
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 7:50am
Greys go back quite a way. My great, great uncle was clerk of the course in 1880's after retiring from jockey ranks. At Randwick...he rode greys. Unfortunately he was thrown from one in early 1890's and broke his thigh. Sepsis set in and he died three days later.

It was suggested that Racing To Win become a clerk horse. John O'Shea agreed. Gai Waterhouse's horse Stoway was clerk of the course horse for several years after his retirement.
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 5:20pm
I would think it is old English , probably from the days when the local Master of the Hunt Club maybe led a few of the boys down to a starting point and lined them up to let them go.
Adladain View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adladain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 6:40pm
I was working at Hanging Rock races on Australia Day and came across Orange County having his second outing as a clerk horse. He did a brilliant job, especially for a horse that had run in a Gr3 only 12 weeks ago.
Daintree Duke R.I.P
cinnabelle View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinnabelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 3:50pm
I think they look so smart.  I adore greys and out of the five foals I have bred to date four are grey.
jess View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:01pm
I have pics of  my rels   on course  in 1855    and later    mounted on Bays,    not Greys,    in SA.

I   like to see them use the  Greys,   and a nice addition is  Claire on  Bay  Banjo  for the interviews.

There is a book called "Personalities in Pink Coats " in the SA library system.
On The Range View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote On The Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 9:38pm
Searching for an old post I came across this. From what I am told the reason for the use of greys is because they turn whiter with age and combined with their riders red coats, it makes them easier to tell apart from the runners when behind the barriers.
reng View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 5:58am
The canadian mounties ride black horses because it makes their uniforms look better - so perhaps the grey thing is along similar lines.  Greys are not that common, so they stand out and they also make the red coat stand out!  Who knows - google might?? :)
The problem with Opportunity is that it wears overalls and looks like work.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 11:41am
Patto owns Banjo.  and Patto has led in probably something like 40 Melb Cups winners, and ALWAYS on  a showy grey !
i think his horses always look stunning.
animals before people.
JoH View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 12:53pm

MHC_HuntAttire_BarbaraopeningThe scarlet hunt coats are called "Pinks." No one really knows absolutely why. Some say they are named for the tailor who first designed them, Mr. Pink or possibly Mr. Pinque. Others say the term "pink" referred to the faded color of a scarlet jacket after it had been worn for several seasons. Whatever the reason for the name, the most likely reason for using that bright scarlet color, was to ensure the riders were not mistaken for prey and shot as they chased their quarry through the woods. Traditionally, only the Hunt Staff may wear the scarlet coat, or pinks, unless a rider has earned the right to do so and the MFH has given them permission. 

Source:  Malrborough Hunt Club

('Scarlet'? yes, 'pink'? yes ... 'red'? never)

suck it up ... Life isn't run at w.f.a. :)
Danewin View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danewin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 7:46am
A horse I used to strap, Brave Prince, is the clerk of the course at Warwick Farm.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 9:23am
Maybe Rosehill needs a  few retired racehorses as clerk of the course horses as the poor little ponys had no chance to catch Bold Glance yesterday before the poor horse had worn itself out.  A bit more speed may of come in handy to catch him before too much damage had been done.

It could of been worst he could  of jumped and gone further afield.  Few owners ever get a chance to have a G1 runner or a stake winner like this block.  Yes he was a long shot but he was in the hottest field of the day.  Still doesn't mean he couldn't of run a cheeky race.  They turned him out looking very good and all there hopes were dashed before the race was even run.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic