Please visit VillageBet for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Grahame Begg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grahame Begg
    Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 12:48am

RELUCTANT racehorse All Silent provided Grahame Begg with his first Group 1 win in nine years and the final leg of a stunning Flemington carnival in the Emirates Stakes.

Begg, 40, left Flemington yesterday with a perfect record of three winners from as many runners during the carnival, but none was as sweet as All Silent's spectacular win in the $1 million race.  Clap

Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 12:54am
Good horse peaked at the right time. I wouldn't be declaring him the next big thing. I think Bank Robber is better.
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Wortel Wortel wrote:

Good horse peaked at the right time. I wouldn't be declaring him the next big thing. I think Bank Robber is better.

Rapping up Beggsy not the horse in particular;

Grahame started his involvement in racing virtually when he was born as his father Neville Begg was a leading trainer in Sydney and he has been going to the races for as long as he can remember.

He started working full time for Neville at age 16 and was traveling foreman for his father for 12 years. Grahame was the handler of the champion race mare Emancipation.

Grahame took out his own trainer's licence at the age of 29 in 1990 when his father moved to Hong Kong to train.

Grahame's first starter was a winner at Randwick from where he trains.

Carl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 1:34am
Never have i felt such eympathy for owners of that classy mare Our Egyptian Raine. Godness me, she placed in about 6 or 7 Group 1's. Always the bridesmaid never the bride. Well i do lie, i think she may have claimed a Group 1 right at the end.

Always had time for Grahame and good to see him have a handy horse.
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 1:36am
Originally posted by Carl Carl wrote:

Never have i felt such eympathy for owners of that classy mare Our Egyptian Raine. Godness me, she placed in about 6 or 7 Group 1's. Always the bridesmaid never the bride. Well i do lie, i think she may have claimed a Group 1 right at the end.

never felt much empathy for the owners of OER, long story......... but for the trainer for sure !
Carl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 1:40am
Haha, yes maybe i should have been more specific!!

Horse was such a tease. Lost a fortune on it as i kept coming for more. Almost the modern day Alverta, just lenghts better.
Ready to Run View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ready to Run Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 1:55am

Great guy. credit to the family name in everyway.  Fantastic to see him win a Group 1.

X, I hope you are not scoring this Group 1 down for Markdell just because Graeme was a boarder over the carnival?
BAZZ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 4:05am
something has to win out of that camp for the spring so they might as well claim it
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 8:44am
Good trainer and a Champion bloke.

Got plenty more good youngsters coming through  who are spelling at present and i will be backing them.
RIP World
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 7:03pm

she was the most perfect animal. i saw our egytian raine at caulfield the year  elvoestroem won the caulfield cup and still remember what she looked like. the most beaustiful horse i have ever seen.

good thing for me she won that day. but it was a group 2.
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Ready to Run Ready to Run wrote:

Great guy. credit to the family name in everyway.  Fantastic to see him win a Group 1.

X, I hope you are not scoring this Group 1 down for Markdell just because Graeme was a boarder over the carnival?

it's spelt Markdel & also note it's Grahame Confused
Ready to Run View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ready to Run Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 9:43pm

At least I spelt your name correctly X.

Apologies to Grahame.
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 3:35am

All Silent goes to the paddock
Clinton Payne
Tuesday, 11 November 2008

The Group I Emirates Stakes (1600m) winner All Silent is being sent for a spell by Randwick trainer Grahame Begg.

Begg had passed up the opportunity to carry from his Victorian campaign to Perth for the rich Perth Festival of Racing at Ascot, and on Monday he was considering on the option of either a trip to Hong Kong for the Hong Kong International Races in December, or spelling.

The latter option was the decision and All Silent will now spell before a preparation for an autumn campaign, with the Group I Doncaster Handicap (1600m) a major consideration before a possible tilt at the Cox Plate during next year's spring carnival.

All Silent had a dominant Melbourne campaign, winning twice, in the Group II AAMI International Insurance Stakes over 1400m on AAMI Derby Day, and then backing up a week later in the Emirate Stakes.

Prior to those races the five-year-old Belong To Me gelding was fourth in the Group I Epsom Handicap over 1600m at Randwick carrying 51.5kg.

Overall All Silent’s record now stands at 11 starts for five wins and a third, for stakes earnings of $948, 050.
well_rated View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote well_rated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 4:08am

I think they said on TVN that it was group 1 placed 8 times, in the last 9 years he's been group 1 placed 10 times, 6 times in photos
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 4:19am
Originally posted by well_rated well_rated wrote:

I think they said on TVN that it was group 1 placed 8 times, in the last 9 years he's been group 1 placed 10 times, 6 times in photos

Our Egyptian Raine also won the Swettenham Stud Stakes-G2 (now the Robert Sangster Stakes-G1) and the VRC Classic-G2 (now G1).

She won a Kiwi Gr 1 but not an Aussie Gr 1
Coat Puller View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coat Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 4:31am
Our Egyptian Reine - She did run a lot of 2nd's in the big ones.

Did Grahame get paid for his efforts with her? She won a fair amount of prizemoney. Some of those narrow defeats where very costly to some Wink
punter View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 8:44pm

There is no way Bank Robber is better than All Silent.
"Show Me The Money!!"
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 9:06pm
Bank Robber is a nice horse but All Silent has a touch of class about him when he puts it all together.
RIP World
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 2:16am

Begg aims to carry on winning
Racenet
Thursday, 13 November 2008

Grahame Begg will attempt to continue on his winning way at Rosehill on Saturday when he saddles up Visit The Queen in the Jacob's Creek Sparkling Handicap over 1200m.

Begg recently experienced the greatest Melbourne Spring Carnival he has ever had with three winners from as many starters, which included victory in the Group One, win by All Silent in the Emirates Stakes.

Back in Sydney, Begg only has the one runner on Saturday,Visit The Queen a lightly raced Cape Cross mare that the astute trainer has a good opinion of.

“She’s a horse of nice ability, a last start winner,” he said.

She had a bit of a setback following the race she won and she’s had a four or five month layoff but goes into the race on Saturday with two trials under her belt.

“I expect her to run well on Saturday but in saying that whatever she does she will improve on.”

Kong View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 3:56am
X, you dont have any horses with Begg do you?

Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Kong Kong wrote:

X, you dont have any horses with Begg do you?

Been a friend for a very long time & was caretaker trainer for Choican & was also where Alinghi was stable when up there
Kong View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 4:11am
ok. for a minute I thought you must have started a Sydney stable and he was training for you.

grumpy View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 4:18am
40 yo

I will bet he is closer to 50 than 40
Kotter View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 4:32am
Originally posted by Kong Kong wrote:

ok. for a minute I thought you must have started a Sydney stable and he was training for you.

I think your on the moneyClapClap         ( in the near future )
monty View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 11:37pm
Your right grumpy,47 years old. I think some journos don't do their research. They said Neville Begg won the Emirates with Bonanova, Neville sold her to Jim Fleming the previous year but Grahame trained her.
BSB Raiderman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSB Raiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2008 at 2:24am
LOL heard the ad on 2ky
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2008 at 8:41am
Beggy and DLF have a very close relationship which has gone back many years.Always when Lee brings horses up here Grahame always opens the door for Lee and vice versa in Melbourne.
RIP World
Docker View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Docker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2008 at 9:56am
Weak effort in my opinion not to bring All Silent over for the Railway Stakes has the horse flying a 5 yr old with 11 starts under his belt if he wins the  million dollar Railway get to chase the bonus in the Futurity Stakes $250000 if he can place!
Instead has a rest for what? chance to go round in the Doncaster a much harder race for similar money the horse is at his peak keep him going this is where the owner should have stepped in and said hang on we have been waiting years to get this bloke going lets enjoy it for a while.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2008 at 10:35am
Docker - Dont you think they are looking after the horses best interest? Id rather be seeing him win a Doncaster on his home track than be kept going for a few races in Perth.

Got enough decent Eastern Staters heading over for the upcoming Summer.
RIP World
Nathan000 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2008 at 10:52am

What. How? He spanked Bank Robber by 5 lengths, and it wasn't like Bank Robber had a hard luck story, he was given the perfect run all through the race. All Silent is far superior.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic