Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Global Cyber Attack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

PT does appear to have his contradictions, as no doubt we all do. But US interference in foreign countries really has been, "exceptional". Other countries have been repressive and persecutory within their own borders, but putting the skids under democratically elected govts in small countries in Latin America e.g., is hard to gloss over. PT seems to have come to terms with it. I think it just loses the US any claims to moral priority.

Name one empire, colonial, or religious power that has not attained supremacy by not intervening, interfering or conquering. It comes down to who you want controlling your life and future.

I think I answered that be saying if the same space was occupied by another power, it would look much the same ( to an objective observer anyway, I don't claim to be that objective !). You and I prefer the Anglo hegemony because we are white Anglos ! It is not because we/they are "good guys"
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:44pm

PT does appear to have his contradictions, as no doubt we all do. But US interference in foreign countries really has been, "exceptional". Other countries have been repressive and persecutory within their own borders, but putting the skids under democratically elected govts in small countries in Latin America e.g., is hard to gloss over. PT seems to have come to terms with it. I think it just loses the US any claims to moral priority.

Name one empire, colonial, or religious power that has not attained supremacy by not intervening, interfering or conquering. It comes down to who you want controlling your life and future.

then put your ideology and thoughts to the test -- go and find a family in chile who have had relatives slaughtered by usa backed rebels and tell them it was all worth it because that intervention and murder gave you a life of western comfort.

you sad nut.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:54pm
Chile one of a great many. The interference in Iran in the 50's is still playing out in downstream effects. The USA basically took over the British role after WW2. Despite being critical of British colonialism, it took after it, but in a less "boots on the ground" direct fashion, in most cases.
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:55pm
PT's arguments on this thread remind me of my friend's female dog who viciously chased her own tail until she chewed it off.
He then wants to blame others for the self inflicted injury.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:55pm

I think I answered that be saying if the same space was occupied by another power, it would look much the same ( to an objective observer anyway, I don't claim to be that objective !). You and I prefer the Anglo hegemony because we are white Anglos ! It is not because we/they are "good guys"

Exactly my point

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:05pm
I am far from being a computer geek, but does the US not have an advantage in that US firms supply the operating systems for most computers ? Are there secrets in there, only known to the originators of that code ? If so, the US govt would be most likely to have access.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:11pm

You and I prefer the Anglo hegemony because we are white Anglos ! It is not because we/they are "good guys"

Exactly my point][/QUOTE]
I think you might be exaggerating the risks, the Russians are not likely acting with a view to becoming a threat, as much as protecting themselves from a threat, of further diminution of their position in the world.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:15pm

I am far from being a computer geek, but does the US not have an advantage in that US firms supply the operating systems for most computers ? Are there secrets in there, only known to the originators of that code ? If so, the US govt would be most likely to have access.

They are the biggest producers of operating systems and therefore the biggest targets for hackers. Codes are not proving to be hack proof no matter how sophisticated. Small players and individuals are bringing down the biggest systems For example the recent hack of the British health system was allegedly done by Nth Koreans The problem isn't the fact they got in and may have compromised patient records but they exposed vulnerabilities. That they also got peoples records and may attack them personally is the secondary issue.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:17pm

You and I prefer the Anglo hegemony because we are white Anglos ! It is not because we/they are "good guys"

Exactly my point]

I think you might be exaggerating the risks, the Russians are not likely acting with a view to becoming a threat, as much as protecting themselves from a threat, of further diminution of their position in the world.[/QUOTE]

Then why attack elections all over the world? They are trying to destabilize and create chaos. Not sure it is just how they get their kicks
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:21pm
"we don't know that", PT.
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:23pm
NK attack on British systems is all part of retaliation for defection by their UK deputy ambassador.

Part of the NK rant on the defector -

North Korea is known to have infiltrated agents into the South while state media has described Mr Thae as "human scum" and accused him of embezzling state funds, leaking state secrets, accepting bribes and raping a child.

NK embassy staff also attacked a UK hairdresser for using crazy Kim's photo in advertising with the slogan "Having a bad hair day?" LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:29pm

They are the biggest producers of operating systems and therefore the biggest targets for hackers. Codes are not proving to be hack proof no matter how sophisticated. Small players and individuals are bringing down the biggest systems For example the recent hack of the British health system was allegedly done by Nth Koreans The problem isn't the fact they got in and may have compromised patient records but they exposed vulnerabilities. That they also got peoples records and may attack them personally is the secondary issue.  

I don't know whether, "in principle" there are unhackable systems. Is there no water-tight encryption ? Or are these different things ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:33pm
Did you click on the link I posted earlier?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:39pm
Nth Korea's activities may be more about retalliation for sanctions I think. Their foreign minister cryptically threatened the US last week with his announcement of a commission to calculate the monetary value of sanctions placed on them. I think there will be more attacks on cryptocurrencies, as has been their targets recently to recover what they think they are owed. He did direct the threat directly at Trump, which seemed strange. They are also credited of stealing $90m odd from Bangladeshi banks earlier this year 
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:41pm

Who is doing all this....and why?

Crikey!!!!! I've been either lucky so far or my Bit Defender is doing as good a job as it says Big smile
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Who is doing all this....and why?

Crikey!!!!! I've been either lucky so far or my Bit Defender is doing as good a job as it says Big smile

It is a matter of when, not if 
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:44pm
Why was the dufus working on super secret NSA stuff at home on a computer connected to the internet?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:44pm

It does not answer those questions, though, I guess the question is whether the systems have been designed with enough emphasis on security. Or made in such a way that they can be breached, for whatever reason.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:55pm

It does not answer those questions, though, I guess the question is whether the systems have been designed with enough emphasis on security. Or made in such a way that they can be breached, for whatever reason.

Pretty sure they are trying to make stuff hack proof, but obviously on the facts and sheer numbers, they haven't found the key yet.

Return to simpler systems might be an option. Criminals go low tech to avoid detection or surveillance Maybe securing national and business security may have to involve similar unless a leap can be made to secure systems. I believe some companies use older operating systems for this reason
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:06pm

I know cabo doesn't believe in evolution but it is survival of the fittest

what are the boundaries of your survival of the fittest advocacy?

i mean, for example im wondering if it applies to indigenous australia/ indigenous anywhere?

enlighten us....

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Why was the dufus working on super secret NSA stuff at home on a computer connected to the internet?

While Kaspersky is one major—though possibly unintentional—culprit in this latest theft of secrets, the root cause of the breach is the deep negligence of the NSA employee who violated his security clearance by taking incredibly sensitive materials home.

https://www.wired.com/story/nsa-contractors-hacking-tools/

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

i mean, for example im wondering if it applies to indigenous australia/ indigenous anywhere?

enlighten us....

Do you have any awareness of history at all? It isn't television, it is barbaric and brutal and those at the top of the pile have the bloodiest hands.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:16pm
Most if not all of the big hacks seem to be caused by abject stupidity not by fiendish masterminds.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:19pm

While Kaspersky is one major—though possibly unintentional—culprit in this latest theft of secrets, the root cause of the breach is the deep negligence of the NSA employee who violated his security clearance by taking incredibly sensitive materials home.

https://www.wired.com/story/nsa-contractors-hacking-tools/

If that is what actually happened, and it wasn't part of an intentional misinformation ploy.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:23pm

enlighten us....

Do you have any awareness of history at all? It isn't television, it is barbaric and brutal and those at the top of the pile have the bloodiest hands.

yes i do. it doesnt mean i find comfort in it like you do, picking winners and losers and basking in the fortune of being on the right side.

careful PT...by putting so much stock in evolution, survival of the fittest & world history....you make the cae that white supremacy is our greatest gift.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:28pm

enlighten us....

yes i do. it doesnt mean i find comfort in it like you do, picking winners and losers and basking in the fortune of being on the right side.

careful PT...by putting so much stock in evolution, survival of the fittest & world history....you make the cae that white supremacy is our greatest gift.

By living the life you do in the country you do, you have chosen your winner.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:36pm
You don't expect him to move to Russia, do you, PT ? I hear Russian is a very difficult language to learn.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:51pm

enlighten us....

By living the life you do in the country you do, you have chosen your winner.

LOL. i didnt chose sh*t you imbecile. i happened to be born in a womb and came out in australia.

i'l remind you on australia day to make sure you put the indigenous activists in their place --- by telling them "its history, its evolution, its survival of the fittest now st fu "
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 3:00pm
PT has some internal contradictions, as we all do. A condition of being alive.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by ThreeBears ThreeBears wrote:

PT's arguments on this thread remind me of my friend's female dog who viciously chased her own tail until she chewed it off.
He then wants to blame others for the self inflicted injury.

note how his love and devotion of usa foreign policy stops the moment they interfere with his brothers in the middle east...

funny that....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic