Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Gingernuts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gingernuts
    Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 2:53pm
Owner David Ellis @TeAkauRacing says NZ Derby winner Gingernuts will most likely run in Saturday weeks Rosehill Guineas. Unsure who rides.
David Ellis @TeAkauRacing says Saturday week is NZ Oaks day @Ellerslie_Races and he might require stable jockey Opie Bosson for that meeting
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 3:01pm
I thought he was going straight to QLD
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

I thought he was going straight to QLD

That was the plan initially but seems things have changed. 
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 3:56pm
This horse looks like a star on the horizon !! Being compared to Bonecrusher is a huge wrap !! Takes on our best group of 3yr olds in the Guineas I think he can win it !! NZ Guineas win was as good as I've seen !! 
Tue 14 Mar 2017
13:37:53
Win
171585 Rosehill Guineas (All In) GINGERNUTS All In Betting Sell Bet Transaction number: 55420113530006901
$150.007.00
FIXED ODDS
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 4:04pm
I can see him being a punters favorite with a name like that as well.
Delta Deel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Deel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 5:05pm
Compared to Bonecrusher? That is a big call, he is rating similar to the last few crops of NZ 3yo's but that is good enough.
https://group1selections.wordpress.com/
VPI View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 5:53pm
Opie Bosson rides.
@value_punter
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

There's already a Gingernuts thread. 
I checked prior ....... think the search function here plays up !! 
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by AdaHunta AdaHunta wrote:

There's nothing wrong with the search option if used properly Wink

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with the search option if used properly Wink

Maybe I'm down it wrong yeah lool 
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 6:16pm
maybe I'm doing it wrong ....... LOL
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 6:19pm
Murrumbeena Primary which I attended was apparently the first government primary school to have a swimming pool, complete with changing rooms.  We all had one session in the pool per week.

And just in case you're interested, it only took the kids about 5 minutes to give me the nickname "gingernuts".  
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Delta Deel Delta Deel wrote:

Compared to Bonecrusher? That is a big call, he is rating similar to the last few crops of NZ 3yo's but that is good enough.
Yeah since hes stepped up in distance well just take a look for yourself ...... Dominant wins !! Its a big call but it never came from me mate ..... read the Australian and you'll see what I mean ........ rating similar ?? sorry mate I'm not one for ratings hes probably rated on his runs prior over unsuitable trips ...... !! LOL
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 6:24pm

Advanced search/select forum/change search in from Message Body to Topic Title/Start Search Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Advanced search/select forum/change search in from Message Body to Topic Title/Start Search Smile
Thankyou Gay3 Thumbs Up
Racing Carrot View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racing Carrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 7:06pm

Yeah since hes stepped up in distance well just take a look for yourself ...... Dominant wins !! Its a big call but it never came from me mate ..... read the Australian and you'll see what I mean ........ rating similar ?? sorry mate I'm not one for ratings hes probably rated on his runs prior over unsuitable trips ...... !! LOL

The compared to Bonecrusher thing happens with every half decent NZ three year old, especially Derby winners.

He was very impressive two back on the rain affected track and nice again in the Derby, albeit Rising Red probably had a tougher run and also kicked on well.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 7:25pm
How do you rate the NZ staying 3YOs (fillies and males) this year RC? They look relatively weak to me with the possible exception of this fella.
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Racing Carrot Racing Carrot wrote:

The compared to Bonecrusher thing happens with every half decent NZ three year old, especially Derby winners.

He was very impressive two back on the rain affected track and nice again in the Derby, albeit Rising Red probably had a tougher run and also kicked on well.
Yeah I'm sure they like comparing the half decent three year olds to Boncrusher Carrot ...... Can u name a few ??? I bet none of them won the Guineas after missing the start by 4 lengths prior to winning the Derby Big smile Rising Red seemed a lil one paced to me don't think hes got gears like Gingernuts ... tough run in the Derby and stuck on well yeah !! 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racing Carrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:05pm

Yeah I'm sure they like comparing the half decent three year olds to Boncrusher Carrot ...... Can u name a few ??? I bet none of them won the Guineas after missing the start by 4 lengths prior to winning the Derby Big smile Rising Red seemed a lil one paced to me don't think hes got gears like Gingernuts ... tough run in the Derby and stuck on well yeah !! 

Off the top of my head Zonda in 97/98, Xcellent in 04/05, Darci Brahma 05/06, Jimmy Choux 10/11, Xtravagant last year despite the obvious difference he was a pure sprinter/miler.  And logically Surfers Paradise, The Phantom Chance, Veandercross would likely have drawn similar comparisons back in the early 90s.  Avedon in 94/95 too I suspect, particularly given he was inclined to run around like Bonecrusher at that age.  Wouldn't surprise me if it was trotted out about Leica Guv in 01/02 or St Reims a year later.  There are probably more, the years blend into each other after a while LOL

I was high on Gingernuts for the Derby and backed him.  If he repeats the Guineas effort in the wet he's going to be very hard to beat.

I've just heard the Bonecrusher line quite a few times about different horses.
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:16pm
Yeah some decent horses there Carrot !! ..... Hes 4 from 7 Since he seen 1600m hes totally a different horse unbeaten !! ....... I can't help but be impressed the latest enigma Jimmy Choux ran second in a Coxplate I think Gingernuts is a better horse ..... But I like your work some nice info there Thumbs Up
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racing Carrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:28pm

How do you rate the NZ staying 3YOs (fillies and males) this year RC? They look relatively weak to me with the possible exception of this fella.

I'm not overly excited but couldn't be too harsh on them since they managed placings in the Derby/Oaks at Flemington in the spring.  I wouldn't compare them to the 2008 or 2015 Derby quinellas at Randwick though.

The fillies I exclude La Diosa from since she's untried past 1600m and who knows what's up with her after last week.  I'd have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the quality of the fillies 2000m races over summer.  The trainers do at least seem to think Bonneval is improving quickly so she deserves to be Oaks fav on the back of the two recent wins, but $3 is short.  Shared Secrets is another relatively untapped and hard to line up but could easily step up now she's getting to the right distance range.  It's not a terrible Oaks but no real wow factor either.

The males obviously Gingernuts deserves top ranking off the past two wins but it's hard to know what to make of some of those behind him.  Sacred Elixir ran better in the Derby than most people probably perceived.  A few of the others like Camino Rocoso and Mongolian Wolf went in relatively inexperienced and could improve far more next prep but I couldn't back them to reverse with Gingernuts anytime soon.  Tavidream and Sacred Way both went around over 1600m so hard to get a line on them yet either.  I think the pecking order is quite fluid and could easily change but Gingernuts is the only one I could consider backing in a G1 in Sydney unless Sacred Elixir gets out to big odds.

Worth remembering how quickly the rankings can change over the autumn as this time last year Humidor was a maiden winner coming off his awkward Derby 11th and Tavago had run home well without much luck for 6th.  Both of them bounced back to win next start.  Two years ago Werther had run last in the 1600m 3yo race on Derby Day-I backed him.  I didn't back him next start at $4 in a R65 1600m LOL
Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:29pm
Racing C is smart
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

Racing C is smart

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:33pm
Thanks RC. Was thinking the summer/autumn horses. 

Sacred Elixir hasn't come up to my eye. Possibly the two trips to Oz took its toll.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racing Carrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:34pm

I'm not overly excited but couldn't be too harsh on them since they managed placings in the Derby/Oaks at Flemington in the spring.  I wouldn't compare them to the 2008 or 2015 Derby quinellas at Randwick though.

Er I mean 1st/3rd 2015.

That 2008 quinella sticks in the mind since I went around saying what a strong crop it was, only to back something that wasn't Nom De Jeu or Red Ruler in the Derby in Aussie on a wet track.  While Cest Le Guerre was sitting back in NZ after cruising in the NZ Derby, where I backed him and Nom De Jeu.  Terrible punting Ouch
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racing Carrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:40pm

Sacred Elixir hasn't come up to my eye. Possibly the two trips to Oz took its toll.

I had to lay it in the Derby and probably should have done a run sooner.  I pretty much agree and would struggle to back him vs Gingernuts but if he really drifts at some point I'll have to have something on knowing he has ability and the Derby run was a tad better than it initially looked.  If only for my sanity.

As mentioned above I blew Nom De Jeu in 2008 by unloading on him in the NZ Derby on a wet track, where he ran into 4th.  He then won at Randwick at big odds with zero $ on.

Last year I got done like a dinner on Tavago as fav in the Waikato Guineas.  I then read the sectionals from his Derby run next start and thought it was much better than it first looked.  And then I looked at those huge odds for the ATC Derby and turned into a giant chicken.
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:58pm
Gingernuts has made a mess of Sacred Elixir in the Guineas and Derby !! Sacred Elixir no thanks !! Derby run last year good barrier gun run and couldnt run the trip !! Got out wide in the Guineas had its chance no match for the winner ....... Hugged the rail in the NZ Derby was entitled to run home ok did stuff all work ......... !! 
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:05pm
You do ratings RC? How does Gingernuts compare to Volkstoknbarrell, Mongolian Khan and Jimmy Choux?
Delta Deel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Deel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:17pm

I had to lay it in the Derby and probably should have done a run sooner.  I pretty much agree and would struggle to back him vs Gingernuts but if he really drifts at some point I'll have to have something on knowing he has ability and the Derby run was a tad better than it initially looked.  If only for my sanity.

As mentioned above I blew Nom De Jeu in 2008 by unloading on him in the NZ Derby on a wet track, where he ran into 4th.  He then won at Randwick at big odds with zero $ on.

Last year I got done like a dinner on Tavago as fav in the Waikato Guineas.  I then read the sectionals from his Derby run next start and thought it was much better than it first looked.  And then I looked at those huge odds for the ATC Derby and turned into a giant chicken.

Sacred Elixir's run was as good as anyones in the Derby, slashing sectional s. Better than the winner.
https://group1selections.wordpress.com/
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:25pm
Unless I'm reading it wrong R&S rate JC and MK derby wins far higher than Gingernut's.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>