Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

So You Can

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 10:17pm
Bit of fruit for the sideboard PT. Clap
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 9:17am
Thanks but just a couple of grapes for the sideboard carioca. Jury still out for me. 
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 1:15pm
So PT what’s the word on your boy today at Morphettville?

Will he bounce back to the winners circle ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 1:27pm
They are not fully convinced he is back yet LB, hence the keeping at these shorter trips.

Leon was disappointed with last start just grinding after presenting to win.

All going well today he will step up to 1400m or so next start.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 1:38pm
Good luck anyhow mate .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 1:40pm
Thanks mate.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 6:22pm
His breathing betrayed him on Saturday. Will be freshened and restricted to 1200m races.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 6:24pm
When does a horse get a chance to take a breath over 1200m ?

Good luck with him but it sounds like he needs a proper operation and starting again.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 6:30pm
He had a tie back operation.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 6:58pm
djebel, they take a breath every stride! All wind ops are still very hit & miss, we only hear of the successes & even then connections state the need to let them run so as not to restrict the airways.
Every time someone asks about it on social media, about 80% of respondents with 1st hand experience say "Don't bother".

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 7:07pm
If you follow jumps racing in the UK every second champion jumper over there has had a wind operation of one sort or another. They do not seem to have any trouble running a long distance over there after such operations. 

reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 7:13pm
Sorry djebel, you're talking absolute nonsense.
Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 7:16pm
The horse is a roarer djebel. Look it up.

Your post is quite funny
sounds, yes they are noisy
proper op? a bullet and
start again? get another horse?

Is why tongues are tied and nosebands applied
usually to try to prevent the scourge.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 7:16pm
How the kiss am I talking absolute nonsense ?

Ill knowledge like them having superior trainers, I will assume they have superior vets.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 7:22pm
Not pleasant experiences for any man or beast.

Roarer, the windpipe is collapsing on itself
flipped palate, plugs the windpipe.
Trainers who say that a horse “swallowed his tongue” or “flipped his palate” are also referring to this misalignment of soft structures in the horse's throat near the larynx. ... A loud choking or gurgling sound and a sharp decrease in exercise intensity are signs that the palate has become displaced

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 7:26pm
Another quite funny post djebel.
A "renowned" australian vet did wind ops quite extensively in England before coming back to Aus.
Dr Tom Ahern

Over the past 30 years, long-serving equine veterinarian Dr Tom Ahern has been sought out world-wide for his innovative throat surgery that has literally breathed new life into racehorses across the globe, however he feels that the involvement of the pharynx in breathing issues is still quite confusing to many industry participants.

The experienced surgeon hopes to educate trainers, owners and his colleagues alike with the aim of promoting the procedure he developed, the oral palatopharyngoplasty, which is currently only performed by a handful of vets around the globe due to the often-reported high degree of technical difficulty and the potential to permanently damage the airway.

Ahern’s surgical journey began when he graduated veterinary school in Sydney in 1978 before landing a job in Perth. A short time later and his revolutionary operation was unexpectedly born within his first decade of practice. He first published his surgery in 1992 before publishing the theories behind the procedure, titled ‘Pharyngeal dysfunction during exercise’, in the United States seven years later.

The operation was founded after renowned late trainer Peter ‘Porky’ Graham, a client of Ahern’s, approached him in the 1980s regarding a horse who had previously won a race but had since been banned from racing after refusing to jump from the barriers in races or trials. “Porky said to me, ‘we’ve got to do something about this horse’,” Ahern said. “I just laughed and said, ‘I’m not a psychiatrist!’

“Then he replied with, ‘no, I think it’s a physical issue and he’s struggling to breathe because I had a noseband and tongue tie on, which worked for a while, but now he’s refusing’.” Ahern was of the opinion that the available surgeries at the time were a waste so, in an attempt to satisfy the trainer, he said he would try to think of a different approach.

As he reflects on the events leading to the creation of the ground-breaking surgery, Ahern recalls a float arriving at his practice 10 days after his conversation with Graham and a grey horse being unloaded. “I asked what horse it was and they said, ‘it’s Porky’s horse, he said to do whatever you’d thought of’,” he said. “So, I went home that night to do some serious thinking.”

That evening, Ahern recalled having seen the beginning of numerous horses’ palates billow noticeably when intubating them through the throat and decided to focus on that area, rather than the opposite end where traditional procedures were being performed. After experimenting with the tightening of the region in order to reduce the palate billowing, Ahern was pleasantly surprised to see it ultimately resolve the horse’s issues.

“That horse ended up racing again and won eight or nine races,” Ahern said. “That was my first and biggest lesson in understanding the association between altered behaviour and breathing issues. “After that it was a matter of trial and error, as is the case with developing any new procedure. “Since then, I’ve done thousands of surgeries in a dozen countries and horses have won stakes races everywhere.

“In Europe, patients have won the English Derby, Golden Jubilee Stakes and the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe, and most stakes races in WA have been won at least once by my patients and sometimes three or four times. “These days, the procedure is presented in all the major equine surgery textbooks around the world and it’s essentially regarded as a form of plastic surgery, like the human equivalent, as there are often only millimetres between success and failure.”

Ahern concedes that the common mentality towards throat surgeries is largely dismissive due to the varied success of traditional procedures, such as laryngeal surgery, otherwise known as a ‘tie-back’. However, he makes mention that there are up to 30 different variations and combinations of throat operations performed on horses, which must be assessed individually.

His own procedure is yet to undergo critical assessment as other surgeons have struggled to reproduce it but, in 1993, one of the many research articles that have been published by Ahern found his operation to result in successful race performances in 75 of the 100 horses across three states that were used in the study.

According to Ahern, since returning from the United Kingdom in 2008 the surgery has resulted in 420 individual winners of at least 1,200 races on WA tracks alone, averaging out to approximately two wins each week. Successful patients include Railway Stakes winners Machine Gun Tom and Welcome Knight, as well as current Ascot 1200m track-record holder, Danny Beau, but Ahern said he couldn’t name other patients for reasons of client confidentiality.

“A horse is an obligate nasal breather, meaning they are designed to only breathe through their nose, as they need to be able to eat and run if suddenly confronted with a predator,” Ahern explained. “However, if for whatever reason the horse feels that this nasal supply is inadequate, then it can cheat by sneaking some emergency air through its mouth.https://www.waracingtrainers.com/the-ahern-procedure-vet-hopes-to-educate-on-breathing-issues/

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 7:30pm
They are not robots djebel
racehorse ownership is fraught with danger
mostly to the hip pocket.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 7:33pm
Hey djebel
does this make me one of your superior trainers ?
My horse placed in the Perth Cup over 3200m after a trapped epiglotis op.
Look that one upBig smile
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 7:43pm
I would have thought the above article is more in my favour rather than those simply rubbishing me. 
reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:21pm
" Porky Graham " LOLLOLLOL had Bob Peters as a client long long time ago , racings scallywag , hope he paid Tom.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:43pm
I posted it so you could educate yourself.
That is all.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 9:01pm
It certainly educated me. 

Originally posted by Ahern Ahern wrote:

]“In Europe, patients have won the English Derby, Golden Jubilee Stakes and the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe, and most stakes races in WA have been won at least once by my patients and sometimes three or four times. “These days, the procedure is presented in all the major equine surgery textbooks around the world and it’s essentially regarded as a form of plastic surgery, like the human equivalent, as there are often only millimetres between success and failure.”
reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Sorry djebel, you're talking absolute nonsense.

Are you surprised???
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

I would have thought the above article is more in my favour rather than those simply rubbishing me. 

I think you'll find you lost credibility years ago on here mate. Sorry. 
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

How the kiss am I talking absolute nonsense ?

Ill knowledge like them having superior trainers, I will assume they have superior vets.

Oh here we go - getting emotional once again. Remember....facts and facts only......and no emotion...
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 11:39pm
Your blindsiding the man now Jamal , Big smile play the ball if you have any knowledge , may even stop your trolling . Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 10:40am
2nd up in R7 at Morphettville Parks today.

2 wins from 3 starts when 2nd up.

3 wins from 8 starts at Mville Parks circuit.

Any word from the stable on his prospects today Passing Through?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 10:49am
Hi LH. More hope than anything. Stubby is replaced again. Thought that if he was ''saving himself'' his familiarity with one rider was not helping. He is fast running out of excuses and chances. This was Andrew's report.

So You Can will race on Saturday at Morphetville Parks (inside track).

He does have a few things in his favour - has a great record on this track and distance and he has won 2 races 2nd up.

There looks to be a bit of pace in the race - Caitlin Jones will ride (she rides him a lot in work) and she will be positive out of the gates and we will then leave it up to her to slot in where she can.

There does look to be good pace in the race - a couple will want to hold their forward position from the inside and a few are likely to roll forward from out wide.  Hopefully Caitlin can slot in with some cover - it may be a little tricky from barrier 8.

CLICK HERE for Leon Macdonald's audio report from this morning.

So You Can worked well on Tuesday and Leon expects him to run a good race - lets hope he has some luck in running.

He looks an each way chance in what looks to be an even and pretty competitive race.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 9:42pm
He’s been racing quite well this time in but looks like Shelly Hancox & the syndicate are cashing out of this guy.  

He’s listed on the latest Inglis auction - opening bid at $600.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 7:05am
Having his first start for new owners today in R4 at Mount Gambier over 1200m.  He’s currently $4 equal fave for the race on Tab fixed odds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123