Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Joey's Gift $500 2yo Online Purchase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joey's Gift $500 2yo Online Purchase
    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 4:35pm
https://www.unnamedwebsite.com.au/news/australian-racing/watch-is-this-500-bargain-buy-a-future-star/597680?fbclid=IwAR37gPM1kwej9LjhAZhvydgQtR9TKSCmj0FksiQVYsUl9yBVNVDsMnM2GZg

Posted by: Ric Chapman

I’m not saying this filly will scale any great heights, and no doubt there will be comments below after reading this, stating, “oh she beat nothing.” Which may all prove to be correct.
After all, this was only a bush maiden 2YO.
But, I think you’ll agree this was some sort of performance…..opposition aside.
o set it up, I watch replay after replay after replay. And often I see good runs. I mark them down as horses to back next start. I also get excited about the performances, as we all do, about the superstar racehorses.

Then once in a while, a very long while, I just find myself saying….wow! And that happened to me watching this lowly 2YO Mdn race at Ballina on Tuesday.

The horse, is a little chestnut filly with a white snip on her head, called JOEY’S GIFT (Pluck-Special Order), and she blew from $20 to start at $41.

How that is possible I don’t know. Surely her owner, Sharon Wilson, must have been informed at the very least that her horse, ‘goes alright.’ Perhaps she doesn’t punt.

Anyway, well, you watch the video.

She bungles the start by 2 lengths, is 10 off the pace, made by experienced horses, as they come to the tiny home turn, then changes legs, races erratically in the straight, yet her last 200m was breathtaking. And remember, this was her very first race start after just one trial where she was beaten half a furlong. To be fair though, she was under a stranglehold all the way in the trial.

I’m going to Black Book her. Her last 600m was the fastest of any horse on the day at the meeting.

But apart from the run, the Joey’s Gift story is a great little yarn in itself.

She was raised at Glen Gallic Stud in Martindale, which is in the Hunter Valley of NSW near Denman, and offered as a 2Y0 for sale at the January Inglis Online Digital auction.

She didn’t attract a bid.

“Exactly 11 weeks ago today I purchased Joey’s Gift for $500, privately off the farm, and I offered shares in her with very little interest. In fact, no one wanted to buy in. It was Sharon Wilson who stepped up and took her on,” said said Robert Agnew her trainer.

“Fast forward 11 weeks and yesterday she won her first start very impressively at Ballina and took home $11,000.

“So proud of her, and she is my first win as a jockey/trainer – it has been a slow process to get to where we are now.”

Robert Agnew had just 2 horses at the time of purchase.

Joey’s Gift, who has an unplaced older sibling, in winning on debut here, became the first winner from her unraced Fusaichi Pegasus mum named Special Order.

And more importantly than that, as mentioned by Agnew, she is the first winner EVER trained by him. He only took out his trainer’s licence this time last year!

Oh, and to make it just that little bit sweeter for Agnew, his other horse, CHILLIE COD (Sun Of May-Miss Moguls) ran 3rd in the same race.

“I have learnt a lot in the short time I have been on the training side of things and I’ve gone from 1 horse to 4 in work now,” said Agnew who wants more of the above.

“Yes, the plan is to keep on growing. And I can’t do that without owners, so next time you see a post of a horse with shares available from me, this story could be about you.”

Touche.

As for owner Ms Wilson, this is also her VERY first winner as an owner.

“No one wanted her, but to me, it just felt right at the time. There really isn’t any other reason lol!!” she said.

“But, it’s a decision I won’t regret!!”

Agnew’s base is at Port Macquarie.

I think we might hear more from him and indeed little Joey’s Gift.

Wow!

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 4:43pm
He decends from the dam of Hyperion.  Likewise some of the cheap ones (obviously carrying issues) today will come out and be better that some of the $1million dollar lots.  They are out of good mares and good families but if something isn't right no one is prepared to push the price tag but lots of them still race well.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 5:16pm
Very pleased for the Trainer, he is a nice young man and good horseman. Pleased for the owner too!!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 5:23pm
What a superbly structured pedigree for such a cheap buy with 6 instances of Turn To within 7 gens, something I'd never seen & which lead to Source Sucree x 7 in 8 gens, my overall favourite family for consistency. Lalun x 3 never goes astray nor does the balanced Hyperion/Nasrullah each x 8 instances.
Her entire pedigree is saturated with the Selene family & to a lesser extent, Almahmoud.
Sadler's 3x4 hasn't hurt her either!

GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 5:28pm
http://racing.racingnsw.com.au/FreeFields/VideoResult.aspx?MeetDate=2020Apr07&VenueCode=MTgyMTY=&RaceNumber=1&MeetingCategory=Professional&VideoFileType=FullReplay
We got there as it started yesterday, very impressive turn of foot and good to see Kirk Matheson fit and riding light again.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 5:54pm
Terrific stuff.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 11:16pm
it was a ripper of a win
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 12:35pm
from ballina to caulfield - anyone think it can win?
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:49pm
forget it went around 
4 & 5 wide the trip
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 2:10pm
I wonder how much she was sold for Confused A nice profit regardless!

Mr S J McKee, F McKee
Status Active
Owner’s Details 

JOEY'S GIFT

2yo Chestnut Filly
D.O.B: 06-Sep-2017
by PLUCK (USA)  from SPECIAL ORDER
View Pedigree Report
Previous Horse Next Horse
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 2:23pm
From racenet

A lot has happened between Joey’s Gift’s debut win at Ballina and her appearance in the colours of the champion mare Sunline at Saturday’s Caulfield meeting.

Joey’s Gift missed the start by two lengths in her race debut on April 7 but quickened impressively when coming from well back to score a soft win in a 1000m two-year-old maiden.

Punters didn’t see it coming. The Robert Agnew-trained daughter of Pluck started at $41 after a moderate trial at Grafton eight days earlier.

Click here for the replay of her win. Courtesy of Racing NSW.

But Kiwi trainer Stephen McKee, the son of Sunline’s trainer Trevor McKee, was straight on the phone to fellow New Zealander Trent Busuttin wanting him to buy the horse.

Busuttin couldn’t believe his ears when he listened to McKee waxing lyrical about a Ballina maiden winner.

“With not much going on in New Zealand, Steve has been watching a lot of TV and the racing in Australia,” Busuttin said.

“He rang up on the first day of the Inglis Easter sale and he said, ‘I want you to buy me a horse’, and I thought he wanted me to buy him a nice yearling.

“I thought he’d been drinking. But he said, ‘go and watch the horse that won the first race at Ballina’.

“He told me to watch the replay so I watched it and then got my buyer Luke McDonald on the job.

“He managed to secure the horse for us.”

Joey's Gift cost Agnew $500 at an online auction but the trainer received 100 times that amount for the filly.

Busuttin and training partner Natalie Young have had Joey’s Gift in their Cranbourne stable for a few weeks before earmarking Saturday as the perfect day to start the filly’s career down south.

Busuttin accepted to run Joey’s Gift in the Noel Rundle Handicap (1200m) at Caulfield. The stable also entered her for a race at Donald but Busuttin said he would be happy to run Joey’s Gift at Caulfield.

Running her in Sunline’s colours will add a sense of history to the proud Kiwi trainer.

“I’m quite happy to be sending one around in those colours. There’s so much history there in those colours from the great trainers,” Busuttin said.

“I grew up watching Trevor McKee win races in those colours.

“It’s obviously a big step up from Ballina to Caulfield but she won very well but we’ll roll the dice and see how it goes.”

Jamie Kah will ride Joey’s Gift at Caulfield.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 2:26pm
Outstanding bush jockey turned recent celebrity trainer, Robert Agnew, has won another race.

When CHILLIE COD went on by ‘em all at Grafton yesterday, punters cheered and so did the Agnew family.

That’s two now with two individual horses from a stable of just three! The other one is unraced, named COD BYE (Myboycharlie-Victory Grove) but she can run like the wind also.

So it’s looking more and more like this young Port Macquarie based trainer has what it takes.

‘Ha, I’ve been in the industry 20 years now and I still have so much more to learn as a trainer but I’m happy that what I’m doing right now is working,” he said following 2YO Chillie Cod’s gritty win..

And so solid was she, he’s thinking of backing her up in a fortnight at Taree.

You may recall Agnew made headlines about 3 weeks back when he saddled his very first winner as a trainer with the startling little filly JOEY’S GIFT who had missed the start then sprinted like Chautauqua to win on debut at Ballina. Chillie Cod (Sun Of May-Miss Moguls) was 3rd in that race.

Joey’s Gift (Pluck-Special Order) created such an impression she formed a bit of a cult following on social media mainly because she had been passed in at auction and Agnew, undeterred sought her out bought her for $500 out of a paddock.

She has yet to race again but when she does you will be quite surprised as she will now be wearing the colours made famous by the wonder mare SUNLINE. This is because yesterday, Steve McKee, who also owned Sunline, purchased her and she has been sent to Victoria to be trained by Trent Busuttin and Nat Young. They landed their first Gr 1 winner this year when TAGALOA stormed home to win the G1 Blue Diamond at Caulfield. They also will be getting MIRAGE DANCER ready for a crack at the G1 Melbourne Cup this year.

And while that could be seen as sad and annoying for the brand new trainer, Agnew says it had to happen.

“It was a bit tough to see her go but I told her owner Sharon Wilson, that for the money they offered, she would be hard pressed making it up here.

“Sharon didn’t want to sell, but it just made commercial sense. I had to talk her into it.

“The filly’s in very good hands down there and we all hope she turns into a star for them.”

What a selfless act.

Here is a young man in a sport where you need good horses to increase your stable profile. And he had only just taken out his trainer’s licence about a year ago. Joey’s Gift created a bit of personal, and sentimental history being his first winner as a trainer too. He found her by himself, offered her to his wife’s mum, Sharon Wilson who bought her because, “she just wanted to help me get started in the business.” And despite all that, he goes and does what’s best for the owner in talking her into selling.

“I’ve still got Chillie Cod and she was impressive yesterday winning, leading all the way. If she pulls up well we might go to town, or just tip her out let her grow because I think she will make into a pretty nice 3YO.

“Plus, Sharon has the money now to be involved in a couple more. We’ll all keep going.”

This meteoric rise to stardum for the son of a former Gr 1 winning jockey, has been made even more impressive by the fact he has now saddled just 4 individual horses that he trained. Two of them have won, one has placed while the other one was 4th last start. His name is TWO DUCKS ARTIE and he looks a winner soon, maybe even at Muswellbrook this Friday.

But this winning caper isn’t something totally new to Agnew, who did win 221 races as a jockey, the latest just a few weeks back for Allan Kehoe. He’s won on many tracks from Randwick to Alice Springs, the Gold Coast to Noumea abroad and Warwick Farm to Wyong.

His most wins have come at his now training base, Port Macquarie, where he gets a mighty helping hand from the local trainers.

“I don’t even have a float yet so Jenny Graham helps me with transport. Allan Kehoe has been amazingly helpful too with advice and I’ve worked for Tas Morton, Gai Waterhouse and did my apprenticeship with Stephen Lee.

“I can’t thank them all enough.”

In order to increase the size of his team, which is a whopping three-strong at the moment, Agnew may give his jockey licence away and concentrate on just training.

Given his understanding of horses and his record already, that looks another smart, selfless idea.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 2:50pm
Young fella is laughing all the way to the bank, poor ride, however not up to that company, why you would go straight to Sat company is beyond me, break her heart, she'll be on Inglisdigital shortly, he'll be able to buy her back......life goes around and around.
 Post Reply Post Reply