Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Hydrops Allantois

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydrops Allantois
    Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 12:02pm
Hi Everyone,

It appears my eight-month pregnant mare has developed a case of Hydrops Allantois, which is excessive fluid around the fetus. Speaking to the vet yesterday, he was unable to locate the foal usuing a field-scan and when she was taken to a clinic, they found 40cm of fluid around the foal. She looks pendulous in the abdomen even though she is still three months until due.

Reading some literature overnight, it appears that the likelihood of a viable foal is very low and that even where a live foal is born, it is highly likely to have significant deformities.

Has anyone any experience on this rare condition? The mare is comfortable at present and being treated with oral antibiotics, but I suspect a pretty tough decision is looming and I just wanted to canvass views.

Thanks,

Robbo
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 12:41pm
One of mine had this Robbo.  Not a pleasant experience for mare or us.  And the chances of the mare carrying full term, let alone foaling, are indeed low.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 12:57pm
Thanks SC. What happened to the mare aftewwards? Did she continue to breed (i.e. was it a one-off) or did you retire her? I've already been advised not to go back to the same stallion as the condition may be hereditary, thus ruling out the free return.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 1:07pm
Sadly the mare failed to get into foal in successive seasons afterwardsRobbo, though she had earlier if apparently unrelated problems which may have contributed to this inability.

I've not heard of the problem being heriditary, but will stand corrected.
 Post Reply Post Reply