Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

MENARI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petiterhapsody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MENARI
    Posted: 25 May 2019 at 5:35pm
Have just about stitched up a deal with Menari & just started looking at Grunt for one of my others. Thoughts re commercial wise. One mare already proven in the ring the other is still early days, her first is a 2yr old.

Sorry but they need separate threads Smile

Edited by Gay3 - 25 May 2019 at 7:43pm
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 6:29pm
Despite being by Snitzel believe you may be taking some risk with Menari.

Forgetting the positives for a moment, here are what I see as the negatives: it appears likely he'll have a very small 1st season crop; is unsound and either may pass that on or dissuade potential buyers; is not attractively priced imo (hope you could negotiate about $16,500 or $22,000 absolutely tops); didn't win at Group 1 level.

Commercial appeal will depend heavily on promotion. How that continues as his first crop race leading up to the sales is critical, along almost needless to say with the early performances of his presumably small first crop.  Imo breeders will need a mare that rates in the top 25% of his matrons to make Easter, MM or Premier, however a well conformed and presented yearling would presumably sell well if you offer in at home in Tassie.

Summary: Commercial rating B to B-.

Grunt later.

Petiterhapsody View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petiterhapsody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 7:49pm
Thanks for that Gay. Second Chance mare that was heading Menari way has had Melb Premier yearlings, would most certainly sell quite highly in Tas, but options aplenty with sale placements of her foals.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 7:56pm
If it's the dam of the Written Tycoon who went to HK, it may be worthwhile using a stallion popular with their trainers.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Petiterhapsody Petiterhapsody wrote:

Thanks for that Gay. Second Chance mare that was heading Menari way has had Melb Premier yearlings, would most certainly sell quite highly in Tas, but options aplenty with sale placements of her foals.

Cheers.  However you asked for a commercial rating and I've simply attempted to provide one.  

Over to others.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:37pm
Menari looked like a pony to me.  And bad legs.  No G1 to his name.  Second Chance says it so much better than me as I am not an expert on breeding, but I just couldnt, not this year anyway.   He might still have fertility issues and then what ?
animals before people.
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 1:51am
Menari's fee is $16500.
If he had won at group  1 level he would not be standing at that price. 
When you look at his race record seems quite good.
the biggest gamble would be his fertility
otherwise its all a gamble.
But at that price i can think of a lot worse.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 2:13am
At that price, not for mine.   Deal and get him some what cheaper , on breeding,  maybe.   With a fertility guarentee .     If he cant do the job,  ask for a service to another of their stallions as part of the deal. 
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 10:39am
Isaac is correct re the stud fee, he was $27,500 in 2018.  The reduction speaks volumes.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 11:12am
For a stallion to have raced in some of the best company, age group  of his time
he seems a value stallion, his fee more reflecting his fertility issue.
and enough retire due to leg issues, lately Reliable Man with a suss tendon. 
And how many retire with unannounced issuesWink
I know it could be advertising blurb but with limited bookings 
you might not want to bargain too hard.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 1:14pm
He was a powder puff Isaac and will just contribute to the overall decline in Australian bred racehorses. Have a look at the horses he beat when winning to see what I mean.
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Petiterhapsody View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petiterhapsody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 5:03pm
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and insight, plenty to consider. On a last note, it would have been a foal share arrangement. Will have to think really hard on it going on comments above. Cheers.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 6:06pm
Well now for Grunt.

I liken him to Palentino as a racehorse - terrific on his day but could mix his form.

Being Yulong's first stallion they'll be keen for him to succeed, so should be expected to heavily promote him to breeders and yearling buyers alike.  He possesses a strong female family including some sire influences.

Like Palentino he should appeal to Victorian breeders and his stock will primarily be sold through Oaklands Junction: not many of his would attract interest if offered north of the Murray.

I'd recommend him as an excellent first season stallion prospect.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 1:01am
Originally posted by kavg kavg wrote:

He was a powder puff Isaac and will just contribute to the overall decline in Australian bred racehorses. Have a look at the horses he beat when winning to see what I mean.
You’d be paying for athleticism, not race tactics.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 10:53am
Originally posted by kavg kavg wrote:

and a lot of the horses he beat will also be entering the breeding scene at some stage.
Whiskey Road, Baguette on the dams side, champion tough Australian sires
Talking breeding not punting....
  • By Champion Stallion Snitzel
  • First colt home in the Golden Slipper
  • Menari was 0.05 seconds off All Our Mob’s 20 year 1200m track record at Rosehill when annexing the Group 2 Run to the Rose in brilliant fashion
  • Incredible performance in the ATC Rosebud (1100m) carrying 60.5kg, 9kgs over WFA
  • "Menari is a machine. He’s got the blood, looks and blinding speed. He’s what Australian breeding is based upon," – China Horse Club’s Michael Wallace
  • "It’s just phenomenal to ride an animal like this. His turn of foot is second to none," Jockey Josh Parr
  • Out of the stakes winning General Nediym mare Isurava
 Post Reply Post Reply