Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Top 50 Sires in Australia by prizemoney

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 50 Sires in Australia by prizemoney
    Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:19pm
A couple of thoughts for mating decisions for coming breeding season. Of the top 50 sires on the 2018-2019 season has the following revelations.
1. 38/50 or 76% are Aust/NZbred
2. Of the other 12 stallions, 3 are dead and unavailable
3. Of the other 9 stallions who have imported suffix none are returning any time soon if ever.
With stats like that why does anyone go to a shuttle stallion or an imported stallion period.
Anyone got an opinion?
troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 10:29pm
To catch the NEW sales ring buzz

thats all.. fresh sires havent yet got a stink of failure on them

Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 11:34pm
I can see what you are getting at, but my point is “why send mares to the latest group of unproven shuttle stallions just because the big end of town says this and that will be the next best thing.” Chances are they will all fail to some extent.
I used Zoffany in his third season shuttling and bred 2 colts who are both multiple winners and have covered their costs at yearling sales and again covered their costs of purchase at same yearling sales.
I personally would send an appropriate mare to Zoffsny if they shuttled him again.
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Majestic Majestic wrote:

I can see what you are getting at, but my point is “why send mares to the latest group of unproven shuttle stallions just because the big end of town says this and that will be the next best thing.” Chances are they will all fail to some extent.
I used Zoffany in his third season shuttling and bred 2 colts who are both multiple winners and have covered their costs at yearling sales and again covered their costs of purchase at same yearling sales.
I personally would send an appropriate mare to Zoffsny if they shuttled him again.

Go have a look through the sire table and it's pretty obvious why. The majority of the top stallions in Australia are by international Stallions.

The top 15:
Snitzel - All Aus
I Am Invincible - By Invincible Spirit (International)
Street Cry - International Stallion
Fastnet Rock - By Danehill (International)
NASD - All Aus
Sebring - By More Than Ready (International)
Redoute's Choice - By Danehill (International)
High Chapparal - International Stallion
Lonhro - All Aus
Pierro - All Aus
Written Tycoon - All Aus
Lope De Vega - International Stallion
Teofilo - International Stallion
Exceed and Excel - By Danehill (International)
Smart Missile - All Aus

So out of the top 15 stallions;
6 are Australian stallions by Australian stallions. 
4 are imported stallions/shuttlers.
5 are Australian bred, by shuttlers/imported stallions.

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:22am
Imported stallions have some importance to introducing new lines.  Unfortunately when a Danehill etc appears everything comes out with that same sireline ect.

Also you can't just say International Stallion.  Those Australian breed sires by an International Stallion have a complete story behind the female line also.  Sebring has the Flying Spur/Luskin Star and imported mare Elsie 1887 line behind him.  Elsie being the same line as Baguette who also performed well at stud.

I am Invincible is from the 1n female line decending from imported Simper 1912.  That 1n family is great for producing good stallions ie HIgh Chaparral, Zeditave, Heroic among others.  Then he is out of a Canny Lad mare with Cardinal and Royal Artist also close up.  Very out there pedigree but one that has upgraded everything in sight.

Fastnet Rock is from the Gerwyn 1943 female line and and like many of the others has Biscay sitting in the pedigree.  Biscay was speed on legs so maybe that is important also. Also you find Marauding for a line of Sir Tristram (also an imported line but one we should try to keep going through the Lonhro branch)

Redoute's Choice hasn't the old Australasian family of the above but is also out of a Canny Lad mare.

Not so strangely the above also suggest the Golden Slipper is also still having a say in our performing stallions.  Canny Lad, Marauding, Flying Spur, Luskin Star, Sebring, Pierra, Vain, Marscay all appear in the stallions listed.  
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:49am
The internationals do pretty well for only 20-odd spots across the country.
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 12:38pm

A couple of thoughts for mating decisions for coming breeding season. Of the top 50 sires on the 2018-2019 season has the following revelations.
1. 38/50 or 76% are Aust/NZbred
2. Of the other 12 stallions, 3 are dead and unavailable
3. Of the other 9 stallions who have imported suffix none are returning any time soon if ever.
With stats like that why does anyone go to a shuttle stallion or an imported stallion period.
Anyone got an opinion?

Unproven international shuttling stallions for me are a better as a breed to race option.

You can enter the market with racing credentials equal to Aus Stallions for 50% sometimes more less than their Aus counterparts.

Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 10:42am
Unproven shutters IMO are coming out here primarily for the stud to get as many progeny on the ground as possible , make a profit and, if they don’t come up to scratch HERE in Aust sell them off to a third world or at least a backward country, never to be heard of again,
Personally I have used Zoffany as stated above, and also Refuse to Bend, interestingly both were Champion 1st season sires in UK. Both failed with their 2yo’s here and did not return. We now appreciate both to have been handy middle market stallions.
Your point is taken that some of the stallions on the list were by shuttle stallions, but those sires of sires are/were proven .
As an exercise, how many shuttle stallions have come to Aust in the last decade and how many of those no longer shuttle and indeed hoe many have been ditched by the NH stud owners?
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 5:46am

I personally would send an appropriate mare to Zoffany if they shuttled him again.

Zoffany  euthanized at age 13 owing to liver failure.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/245565/notable-sire-zoffany-euthanized
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 8:50am
Watch them jump out of the ground now! Gee that's young Cry
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
 Post Reply Post Reply