Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Tipping and Wagering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Place odds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Place odds
    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 8:04am
Forgive my dumb question but.. 

Does anyone know how the corporates work out the place odds? Is it around 25% of the win odds or is there a separate place pool? If the latter, why does it usually work out to be around 25% of the win odds?

In the old days (pre-digital), I'd walk up to the bookmaker in the ring and get 25% odds for the place.

I notice my lucky longshot selection Red Alto started at $81 Fixed Odds on BetEasy but only $13 the place... which corresponds to only $52 the win (x4). For running third, it paid $17.70

How does this all work?

Mayor
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 9:07am
They don't pay the 25% as they did in the good old days .

I think it's Tote odds now.

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 9:17am
I think they are just treated as separate markets now. I used to be a place only bettor when it was just calculated as a quarter win odds with on-course or SP bookies. As far back as the 70's they started going to one fifth with dedicated on-course place bookies. Now  it is one quarter fixed on pre markets but only on each way bets. If they offer fixed pre betting it is mostly one fifth but separately calculated place on race day markets.
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 9:47am
OK that makes sense, cheers. 
Mayor
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 10:05am
When you mentioned "pool" in your first post Mayor you do realise there isn't one in Fixed Odds. Only tote betting where the formula is simple - the total investment minus the rake (for that bet type) divided by the number of $ unitsinvested on the winning selection (& dividend then rounded down)
Refer ALP Election Promises
 Post Reply Post Reply