Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Leader Bias NOT fast lanes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Bonfield Bonfield wrote:

Originally posted by Straight arrow Straight arrow wrote:

The problem I see these gurus that rate themselves as track speacilists? Have u ever seen them walk the whole track or distance there horse is running? Because my thinking is that if there was an advantage,? The race is not won in the straight!! It's getting to the best ground for all the race!! And I have seen lots of trackers were the rail in the back is no good . But fair in the straight

Absolutely.

So sit 4 wide or stick to the outside against the fence 1600 from home because the going is better....

Walking the entire track is a waste of time, you are not driving a car you are riding a horse.

Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Bonfield Bonfield wrote:

Originally posted by Straight arrow Straight arrow wrote:

There is no such thing as leader bias unless trackers have a fast lane on inside. I mentioned sometimes certain tracks ie MV when rail out to full distance can help an on pace runner if the whole field does not chase to hard

This is what I said earlier. Leader bias is 90% of the time inside lane bias.

That is rubbish!!!

The inside lane is the fastest way home.
This is not only with horse racing, car racing is no different.

Why, um, go figure it's the shortest way home.

Distance travelled = Bias, = NO.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Paul Hogan Paul Hogan wrote:

Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

I would expect all leaders to be on the fence when leading be it true or 10m out unless the want to sit in the "death seat", most times I feel the term " the rail is hot" is when winners keep on winning by getting rails runs as against coming down 4off the fence or further out, I'm also in agreeance re grass length, watching the horses around at the barriers you get to see how far attendants boots sink into the grass as well as officials , you would be surprised how deep they sink at times, if I can't see their boots imo it will give you a leader or on pace bias , that is until track levels out or it becomes more even , may sound silly to most but ch.528 is best vision as rac. com has the graphics covering the bottom of picture , funny how the term " track bias " reared its head after Mr Dermott Weld took vintage crop home in the early 90s.

From my recollection of that day Vintage Crop got track conditions to suit, not track bias.

The Melbourne Cup is generally not a race that fits into the track bias mode entirely.
Probably due to distance and temp over the distance.

The first thing Weld whinged about when he arrived was the firmness of the track, so much so track curator increased irrigation and the locals were not happy ( that much I do remember) to offset this I reckon the length of grass was increased to add more cushion to keep all parties happy , I'm a firm believer that the length of grass over a sprint and up to a mile can help a front runner and hinder a backmarker at least until the track sorts itself out, vintage crop was not helped by bias just that the word sprung up around that time, they are racing much tighter now as at times the weight spread is thin and the leader is being choked, in my youth on a 44kg min. they would go like scalded cats even more so when a 3kg boy got the ride and the horse carried 41kg , times have changed in more ways than one.
spinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 11:57am
ok, thanks for the input. I have concluded if you use the words, Its a leaderish track or leader biased track relating to a track as a whole, not the fence or a lane you should be slapped in the chops with a wet fish. 
Its pace related, we jog early and sprint late in general and that suits front runners if they are good enough they win. 
City riders arnt as guilty in general but big country tracks with bush riders seem to be worse.
On tight country tracks bush jockeys go like scalded cats because of the tight track and short straight so you still get swoopers. Big open tracks tend to give jockeys the thought the straight is long so ill ride quite and the front runners get cheap sectionals. A generalization but ive been working on this for years and confident im on the money. Front running  horses on a big track will win more races than on a tight track because of pace. 
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 6:18pm
Spinner ? Makes perfect sense! It's why straight racing is not popular with punters / trainers/ tipsters. It confuses jockeys mostly ridding around bends! There is always a change of speed at different times then corner races.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 6:30pm
Look, I agree with all that has been written but there are times when absolute donkeys run along at incomprehensible sectionals and hold on to win after failing to show that trait previously
Budggered if I know the reason why but it happens
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 7:39pm
99.9% of oz races are run around a bend. Jockeys have something to aim for. So it's a bit basic all the time . Go steady until turn and let them go! Of course different tracks have different lengths straight. And distance comes into play. But at Flemington? Beleave it or not even our best get sucked into false speed or to early ,? Mayb even to late. But they are not savvy to straight track racing! My thoughts only
spinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 9:18am
may be where the saying came from, every dog has his day. ha 
spinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Look, I agree with all that has been written but there are times when absolute donkeys run along at incomprehensible sectionals and hold on to win after failing to show that trait previously

may be where the saying came from, every dog has his day. ha 

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 10:55am
Originally posted by spinner spinner wrote:

Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

<table ="tableBorder" align="center" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="10" style="width: 1627px; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; table-layout: fixed;"><t><tr ="msgableRow" style="height: 200px; min-height: 200px;"><td valign="top" ="msgLineDevider"><div ="msg" style="width: 1444px;">may be where the saying came from, every dog has his day. ha 
</td></tr><tr ="postSeparatorTableRow"></tr></t></table>

" Praying doesn't help if you can't fight. "

Track & grass covering doesn't help if they don't have the ability.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:11pm
Some leaders today seemed to get a sling shot into the straight at Sandown.
reductio ad absurdum
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:27pm
Saw this on twitter:-

"If you took the leader from the TAB speedmap in the quaddie today, you could have got it 1 out every leg. Paid $48,000. "
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:36pm
Maybe so, however a couple of front-running riders really pulled the pants down on their rivals today.

Particularly Oliver and Meech, the latter for the nTH time in her career.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:36pm
Fair dinkum. 
reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:46pm
Are you agreeing or taking the p*ss?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:52pm
LOL I was fair dinkuming the comment from Mr Mitchell 

We posted simultaneously Hug 
reductio ad absurdum
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 9:45pm
I agree with the consensus that leader bias does not exist.

However fast lanes do occur!

I remember a Mackinnon stakes where Desert War won by about four lengths, and on that day if you were back and had to come more than two horses of the fence you might as well have stayed back in the stables.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12