Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Family Trees

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Family Trees
    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:18pm
Over the past few weeks Ive attempted to do my family tree....humanWink
But Ive hit a brick wall with too much duplication and misreading of data. Mostly back to the 1700's in England.

1. has anyone done their tree with success?
2. Has anyone had it done professionally for them?

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

But Ive hit a brick wall with too much duplication and misreading of data. Mostly back to the 1700's in England.

Be very careful SITW, some shattering revelations surface.

Imagine the destruction if you found out you were related to Whale.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:23pm
It's already been a bit scary. Found out my life long mate of 45 years shares some rellies with me only a few generations backLOL
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:49pm

Now were in my field of expertise! What’s your brick wall? I’ve done our family tree with success except for one relative who apparently simply appeared . He’s so far proved impossible to trace.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 10:21pm
Reprotedly the Mormons own the business, and make it hard for anyone to look into it?
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 10:41pm
The Mormans run the FamilySearch web site which is free , as opposed to Ancestry which you have to pay for. They do it so they can get the birth and death dates of people so they can bless them or whatever the ceremony is and “ save” them. They then consider these departed people as Morman. Caused a bit of a stink in the world of genealogy when it was discovered.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 10:48pm
So what is trustworthy these days? I'm guessing every genealogy web thing is a business?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 1:43am
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

The Mormans run the FamilySearch web site which is free , as opposed to Ancestry which you have to pay for. They do it so they can get the birth and death dates of people so they can bless them or whatever the ceremony is and “ save” them. They then consider these departed people as Morman. Caused a bit of a stink in the world of genealogy when it was discovered.

I've used both in a free capacity. 

Ancestry is a worry if you want to get out of the moneyed side of it...I won't get involved in that part...

I use their free days to access data...so far I've gone back as far as five generations on my father's mother's side, to Ireland. Also to my grandfather's Lancashire roots. 

My aunt once did most of my mother's side and traced their lineage all the way back to the Spanish Armada, even had photos of a castle in Ireland owned by the family the Spaniard married into. She used the National Library as a starting point.  
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 6:13am
I use Ancestry because most of the work I do is convict era NSW and England and their records for both are very good . I’ve heard many tunes that it’s a pain in the neck to get out of though!
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

Now were in my field of expertise! What’s your brick wall? I’ve done our family tree with success except for one relative who apparently simply appeared . He’s so far proved impossible to trace.

I tried myheritage.com but found it useless. very clunky

Ancestry.com.au works well with a lot of hints & clues. The aussie stuff is fairly easy to track but what I find is a lot of other researchers are click happy and create trees which are not accurate.
This leads to problems if you are trying to merge them with your own.

Back to the UK and dates and names can vary. Its seems very hard to get reliable birth and marriage details. Also there are so many simialr names living in similar counties around the same times. Given the difficulty in reading some of the original documents, Ive almost given upOuch
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 9:23am
You can go to the place in The Rocks, ( Sydney ) ( or thats where it used to be,)  and get quite a bit of data on rellies that came from the UK, free or convict .  Ships records etc.  If you want more info on that I can ask , as my cousin is into our family tree big time and he has a lot of info.  They even had the voting roll from this tiny dot size town in the New England, with a bunch of connections to us, on it . While I was in the UK I went to the major registry office in Kew, some years ago now, but one would think ? it might all be on line now ?  Huge amount of original papers there , if you even have a clue who you are searching. Finding out how they got here , via ships records, is a help when searching the names further at Kew.  Found my great great grandfather,s court case documents, and that told where he came from and what he did to get transported .  At the place in the rocks I found the ships record, and notations about him for good behaviour.  Then I found his papers told where he went and who to, and when he was free after his sentence ended.  It really helps tho if you had a Mum and Dad like mine who knew a bit about the old family stories of where they came from in the first place.  Also if you have some idea of the area your rellies settled in, on arrival in Aust, some of their small history societies can have some interesting stuff that can sometimes make a connection for you.
Be prepared for some shocks tho.  Its never as it seems.  Whay my cousin discovered, on our Dad,s side , was a bit confronting .
animals before people.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 9:35am
Yes just ignore most of the trees on Ancestry! Also their hints can be equally imaginative at times. I think you said you got stuck in the 1700s? At that time period you’re relying on church records and they depend on the individual vicar. Some can be quite comprehensive and others the bare minimum. If your lucky at a Baptism for example they’ll give the fathers occupation which helps in identification. People in that time frame tended to not move around too much and tended to stay in the same job. Anyway the general rule is to always look at the original record and work back from that.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 9:38am
Members of my family who put together a comprehensive tree a few years ago said they used to get their best information from English and Irish relatives directly from church marriage Christening and death records in towns in those countries, which are apparently accessible.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 10:05am
Yes, the church records in the area church where they came from are often very good..  On Mum,s side they came from Rippon in Yorkshire, and a relly went there , and sure enough, here all the family  births deaths and marriages were , including my G.Grandparents and their families.   That pointed them to another rellie who had gone south for some obscure reason, and a further search in a church in the Fenlands turned up more info.   A friend also did the same with his  family in Ireland.  Tracked down thru church records in small villlages, but again he had a Dad who knew where they originated from.  In one small village he found headstones in the same church yard as the records were, went into the loacl pub and ask around, and found distand relatives.
Sometimes tho, to gain access to the church and records you need to contact the vicar/priest before you go and line up a day and time.  A lot of the small churches now are locked due to vandalism.  Such a shame.  Years ago when I spent 6 years over there every church stood wide open and no one ever touched a thing .
animals before people.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 10:15am
Yes it’s much easier these days with so much information on line . I think the trick in tracing people in the 1700s is working out what sort of people you’re researching. Prosperous working class people ( blacksmiths for example or any trade) and the middle class are easier because they are more likely to leave a Will , put Birth/Death/ Marriage notices in the newspaper , appear in the land tax records and will definitely get their kids Christened. With the poor you’re relying solely on Church Records and sometimes educated guesses. Your relatives did well in Ireland where so many of the records were destroyed in the numerous “ troubles”. We can’t prove for certain that our Ann Hart from Dublin is the Aunt of Steve Hart from the Kelly Gang because the Dublin records have been lost
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 3:13pm
I get most of my info from the Old Bailey proceedings.Wink

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/forms/formMain.jsp
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 3:32pm
I went to the court archives in London , probably the Old Bailey, but cant remember now,  and got some court documents , which then steered me on to  Kew Records Office. 
If you can find a convict in the back ground its usually easier to follow back from them. 
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply