Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Just As Dangerous To Eat A Banana !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Any evidence that speed limits don't save lives Stayer?

I hear this revenue raising argument all of the time, only got to go onto Facebook in a multitude of groups on there to see the same old tired argument but they won't raise revenue from you if you stick to the limit.

ClapClapClap

Oh please, JJ. You can't even drive a car.

BUT...I am an expert at driving people up walls...never had a ticket for that. 

My husband was pulled over for driving above the limit, one day. He protested he had not seen the speed sign. I jumped in and told the copper that I had pointed it out as we passed it, so he was lying. 

There was a baby and a toddler in the car, that day. He deserved to be fined.

Exclamation

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 5:11pm
Agree 100%.

And also with the bit about your husband being irresponsible.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 9:40pm
Gezz JJ, I cant believe you even bred with him !!! CryWink
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 11:36pm
 He hadn't done it till that day...

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 11:56pm
What day  ??  Confused
animals before people.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 12:14am
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 5:53am

And Afros, if you don't believe me, I can send you a video of all the speed zones I go through simply driving up Whitehorse Rd from Kew to Box Hill/ Blackburn, which I do almost daily. Absolutely illogical changes as you pass through suburbia with ZERO changes in danger most of the way.
End of rant.

I agree sometimes speed zones don't make sense, especially in that scenario but I guess all they can do is have a blanket rule to decide what the speed limit should be in a particular area and go from there.

My pet hate, driving on a lot of country highways, is caravaners who neither have the towing experience or a vehicle capable of pulling their van properly, they drive along at 70-80 and stubbornly refuse to pull over and let other traffic through even though these roads present little opportunity to overtake due to a combination of the winding nature of the road and the occasional on-coming car when the occasional overtaking opportunity presents.

IMO, as dangerous as speeding is, this type of driving is just as or even more dangerous as the drivers stuck behind become frustrated at losing time and sometimes drive more aggressively to either overtake or to make up time once passed.
Seeing Manchester United relegated would mean more than words can describe to me.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 8:25am

By the way, I remember driving in England a few years back and looking for speed limit signs, til an English mate explained that they don't have anywhere near as many as Oz because there are basically 3 speed limits, dependent on whether it's a motorway, dual carriage lane or single carriage lane. Maybe another for heavily built up areas. What a brilliant idea! Here in Melbourne town it can go from 60 to 50 to 40 to 60 to 40 all down one stretch of road. If you miss a sign because some bloody idiot in a SUV with tinted windows is driving next to you, good luck! Overly zealous management is the kindest way to describe it.
Same if I drive from Malvern into the city along Dandenong Road the speed limit changes from 70 to 50, back up to 70, back down to 40 ( school zone ) back to 50 , up to 70 and finally to 50. If I want to divert around Lakeside Drive , where they hold the Australian Grand Prix, it varies between 50 and 40 at different stages. Fortunately I have been lucky and have yet to get a speeding ticket, although I am sure with all those changing speed limits I would have gone over at some time.
Plastic letters View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plastic letters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 8:42am

And Afros, if you don't believe me, I can send you a video of all the speed zones I go through simply driving up Whitehorse Rd from Kew to Box Hill/ Blackburn, which I do almost daily. Absolutely illogical changes as you pass through suburbia with ZERO changes in danger most of the way.
End of rant.

I agree sometimes speed zones don't make sense, especially in that scenario but I guess all they can do is have a blanket rule to decide what the speed limit should be in a particular area and go from there.

My pet hate, driving on a lot of country highways, is caravaners who neither have the towing experience or a vehicle capable of pulling their van properly, they drive along at 70-80 and stubbornly refuse to pull over and let other traffic through even though these roads present little opportunity to overtake due to a combination of the winding nature of the road and the occasional on-coming car when the occasional overtaking opportunity presents.

IMO, as dangerous as speeding is, this type of driving is just as or even more dangerous as the drivers stuck behind become frustrated at losing time and sometimes drive more aggressively to either overtake or to make up time once passed.

Driving up to Wyong on Sunday I had the cruise control set on 110 in the 110 zone down the Mooney Mooney Bridge. Some flog with a ranger or ram or some other truck beast zoomed past me doing at least 120….at least.
He was towing a massive sized speedboat….absolute madness
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 9:45am
 Anyone seen 'Duel'? We once had a truck up our tail whose nutcase driver obviously had seen the movie. 

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Plastic letters Plastic letters wrote:

End of rant.

Driving up to Wyong on Sunday I had the cruise control set on 110 in the 110 zone down the Mooney Mooney Bridge. Some flog with a ranger or ram or some other truck beast zoomed past me doing at least 120….at least.
He was towing a massive sized speedboat….absolute madness

I don't get the attraction of those huge trucks, Rams, Silverados etc, cost plenty to purchase and run, would be a nightmare to drive around town and find a park, all just for the ego boost of having something bigger than everyone else.

I could maybe understand for someone who wants to pull a caravan or heavy machinery, horse float or whatever but as a daily driver to put it bluntly its just an ego booster.
Seeing Manchester United relegated would mean more than words can describe to me.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 11:34am
Those big uets/trucks are just plain dangerous , I reckon.  Most of them seem to be driven by ego trippers , who are careless, and dont care about anyone else.
And Afros, you are certainly right about caravans on country roads, and the people who are towing them.
We have been on the Newcastle/Sydney freeway many times, doing the speed limit, only to be overtaken by some big rig towing , with it swaying from side to side.  We always drop back and let them get away from us, being in an I30 if they fishtail our way we are a gonner.
animals before people.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 12:20pm
My first car was a mini and it struggled to get past 100. One time driving up to Sydney on the highway I had two truckies play a game with me. One in front and one behind, speeding up, putting brakes on, overtaking, tailgating etc. I'm sure they were having a good laugh but it wasn't funny for me! My car was the height of their wheels.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 12:32pm
 Steven Spielberg's first hit. 

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 12:47pm
When I drove to all those country race meetings from one end of Victoria to the other I knew all the short cuts on back roads away from the main highways and never had any other driver tailgating me as there was not much traffic or was never held up behind other drivers, although if we were running late we did push the speed limits to get there before the first race in my Mercedes, fortunately never got any speeding tickets as the cops we usually on the main highways.
At my age now I find driving anywhere near 100 km on an open highway fast enough for me.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Anyone seen 'Duel'? We once had a truck up our tail whose nutcase driver obviously had seen the movie. 

Classic

The truck was portrayed as being alive
Refer ALP Election Promises
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345