Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Tributes Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Nothin' Leica Dane.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nothin' Leica Dane.
    Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 12:10pm
R.I. P. at 26 at Byerley Stud , his retirement home of many years. 
animals before people.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

R.I. P. at 26 at Byerley Stud , his retirement home of many years. 

Anyone have him in the Dead Pool thread?
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 1:00pm
Only just caught up in this sad news.

The last of the big 4 from the 1995/96 3yo crop to pass away - Filante, Octagonal, Saintly & NLD.

Wow what a great time in racing. A time when top horses didn’t dodge each other in an attempt to preserve their race records. The best taking on the best in every big race, with the likes of All Our Mob, Doriemius & Juggler thrown into the mix too.
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 6:19pm
I still remember backing him in the Derby. Such a peach of a ride by R.S. Dye. All the knockers said Octagonal was unlucky but the Dane was holding him on the line.

Was really mucked about by Gai, does anyone remember the infamous argument between Gai, Tommy, Dye and the owners pre 1996 Melbourne Cup? The Dane had been settling back in the run all prep and running some very nice races without winning, all being aimed towards settling back in the run in an attempt to win the Cup. Cant remember who was arguing for what but it amazingly resulted in Dye whipping it out of the barriers and settling behind the leader in the run. History says it was a disaster with the Dane hitting the lead at the top of the straight but weakening into fifth as Saintly gave him windburn.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 10:35pm
Think the lady owner was a bit of bad news,,,,Helen Dalton ?  From memory. 
He should never have gone OS .    Could have cracked some more good races here
animals before people.
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 7:30pm
So true. Still some great memories. He was a horse I backed from day one to the end.  Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply