Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Sarrasin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sarrasin
    Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 10:15am
Regan Bayliss' international fortunes have certainly swung back in his favour in recent times, booked to ride the Richard Freedman-trained Sarrasin at Belmont, New York this weekend.

It was well-documented when Bayliss was bumped from Redkirk Warrior for his Royal Ascot run in favour of superstar Frankie Dettori, but things have changed dramatically for the 21-year-old since.

Now set to partner his three-time Group 1 winner again at Newmarket in Saturday week's July Cup, Bayliss will tune up for that reunion with a ride on Sarrasin, who is trained out of Freedman's Rosehill stable but is embarking on a US campaign aimed at peaking him for the Group 1 Sword Dancer Invitational at Saratoga in August.

Freedman confirmed Bayliss' booking on Thursday morning, with this Saturday's race - bringing forward the Monsun entire's scheduled US debut by a week.

Originally pencilling in Sarrasin's first-up run in The Forbidden Apple, a race worth US$150,000 at Belmont on July 14, Freedman opted to get Sarrasin going this weekend in another mile turf race that is worth $96,000, and is set to jump at 2:45pm local time (4:45am Sunday AEST).

The race is on the undercard of a huge day of racing at Belmont, including the $1.2million Grade 1 Belmont Derby Invitational, the $1million Grade 1 Belmont Oaks Invitational, and the Grade 2 $700,000 Suburban Handicap.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 10:52am
Many years ago, 1973 to be exact I was riding work at Canterbury. A visiting Kiwi trainer, Mr George Walton was in town, I used to ride for him at a small NZ track called Otaki. George had taken horses to California many times, he won the Hollywood Gold Cup and numerous other feature races. George told me, ''son, if you can win a welter in Sydney, your horse can win in USA'' and at that time the stakes money was a lot lot better than here and NZ.......good luck to Richard, David Hayes travelled a filly over there a few years back, they targeted the California Oaks, ran 3rd, Michael Rodd the jockey.....let's hope Richard can do the business.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 11:44am
Anamato was the Hayes filly I think.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

Many years ago, 1973 to be exact I was riding work at Canterbury. A visiting Kiwi trainer, Mr George Walton was in town, I used to ride for him at a small NZ track called Otaki. George had taken horses to California many times, he won the Hollywood Gold Cup and numerous other feature races. George told me, ''son, if you can win a welter in Sydney, your horse can win in USA'' and at that time the stakes money was a lot lot better than here and NZ.......good luck to Richard, David Hayes travelled a filly over there a few years back, they targeted the California Oaks, ran 3rd, Michael Rodd the jockey.....let's hope Richard can do the business.

Did he mention what grade of race a welter horse in Sydney could win in the US ?
reductio ad absurdum
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Did he mention what grade of race a welter horse in Sydney could win in the US ?
More than pay it's way, worth the trouble, etc. In those days there was no market in Asia, it was a basket case, a bit like NZ is today...the Sates was where it was at, the trotters especially targeted USA and still do today.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 5:01pm

More than pay it's way, worth the trouble, etc. In those days there was no market in Asia, it was a basket case, a bit like NZ is today...the Sates was where it was at, the trotters especially targeted USA and still do today.

Your right about the pacers Bonjour, from memory the great NZer Cardigan Bay first pacer in the world to win 1Million done in the US ofA, I'm sure Gay Vista who won a welter at Warwick Farm in the 50s carrying 11st 4 lb ( 71kg) went over and was successfull fwiw.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 5:11pm
Black Onyx too, a dual bleeder.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Black Onyx too, a dual bleeder.

Never knew he bled that horse, was a favourite, maybe my mind was preoccupied at the time, thanks.
Bushy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bushy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 11:05pm
expensive flop one of many for the owner- 2.5m this one and looking very average
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Your right about the pacers Bonjour, from memory the great NZer Cardigan Bay first pacer in the world to win 1Million done in the US ofA, I'm sure Gay Vista who won a welter at Warwick Farm in the 50s carrying 11st 4 lb ( 71kg) went over and was successfull fwiw.

You mention Cardigan Bay Carioca, by chance I looked after the great gentleman for a week when he returned to NZ. He did a farewell tour of NZ visiting most racecourses, he was in the charge of the great Charlie Hunter, he stopped at our place in Hawera and I was charged with looking after him. I brushed his tail everyday, I kept the hairs caught in the brush, I had my photo taken with him, I treasure those memories, he was an absolute gentleman after all he had been through, it was more than a pleasure to have met him, it was priceless. 1969 or 70 I think.
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 12:59am
A firm track and a fast pace proved too much for Sarrasin at Belmont Park on Saturday.

The Richard Freedman-trained import finished last of eight under Regan Bayliss in the $96,000 Optional Clamer over one mile on the turf track, won by American Guru in 1:32.09 with the first six furlongs run in 1:08.22.

The Equibase chart on the race reads “four then three wide in pursuit from the tail of the field, came under a ride at the three-eighths, continued three to four wide for home and trailed.”

Sarrasin is in North America for the US$1m Grade 1 Sword Dancer Invitational Handicap over a mile and a half at Saratoga on August 25.

Trainers comment:
Thanks to all the well wishers. We never thought he could win that race but we didn't reckon on them running 1:32 and change on a VERY firm track. Sarrasin got run off his legs at that pace. Seems to have pulled up ok, just felt the ground. We're deflated but not defeated.

— Richard Freedman
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 12:29am
Sarrasin has run last in both his USA runs.

Any word on whether he’s pressing on to the Sword Dancer Hcp 2400m? That was to be the main target race for him.
 Post Reply Post Reply