Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Counterattack shuttles to Germany

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Counterattack shuttles to Germany
    Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 6:53pm
Hello,
the Australian Sire Counterattack (Redoute's Choice-Kisma by Snippets, stands at Kitchwin Hills Stud) will stand in Germany during our breeding season. His fee is set at 6.500 Euros and he stands at the "Karlshof Stud".

regards, Ticino
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 7:08pm
Interesting.
reductio ad absurdum
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 8:41am
Ticino - are you able to find out how many mares he has served? I like Counterattack and used him last season, but was very concerned to see that he only received 49 mares in his freshman Australian season.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 10:14am
Seems strange Ticino as he is really a sprinter miler and your country prefers the distance horses.  Is he being used to put some speed into some families?  It is an old stamina family but we find Redoute's, Snippets, Vain, Habitation in the last few years.  Will be interesting to see if he works over there.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 10:22am
This is from an interview with Holger Faust from Gestut Karlshof with Racing Post:

Germany is best known for middle-distance horses and stayers, but Counterattack is a sprinter. Is this a deliberate effort to diversify bloodlines?

Yes indeed. Germany is famous for stayers like Protectionist, Novellist, Danedream, Manduro, Schiaparelli, Shirocco, Samum, Almandin and many, many others.

But in the last 20 years Big Shuffle and his son Areion, who were faster horses, have won around half of the German champion sire titles with an outstandingly high number of stakes winners and black-type performers. So I think Counterattack will be a perfect fit for German and French broodmares.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 10:23am
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 11:15am
Hope they can keep going as the German product appears to be well up to world class from such a small base.  it's not like Japan or even the USA who just go out and buy the best for dear prices either.  
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 8:22pm
If he wasn't bear puffer physical specimen he wouldn't be going either.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 8:30pm
If he wasnt a near perfect physical specimen he wouldn't be going either.       
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 6:52pm
Hello,
many thanks for the zealous response of my Topic regarding 'Counterattack'

Since a decade the our breeding aim have the tendency for shorter distance horses, instead the 'Classic Derby Horse' over 2400 meters.  Most breders are now looking for a thoroughbred, who excels over 1600 m - 2000 m. One more reason there is a wane in pure stayers in Europe. If you look at England, it seems all staying horses end up in the National Hunt breeding (Hurdlers and Steepchasers)

From the breeding aspect "Counterattack" is a very wide outcross and more common ancestry is several generations back. On the other side it's useful to "add some Speed" in staying Families from time to time or you will only get plodders. The most wanted ability in a thoroughbred is a "stayer with an endspeed" for the finish over the 200-300 meters.

Our breeding  season starts opposite to AUS in January and lasts 'til June/July. The 'return of mares is published at the end of the year, when all 'breeding bureaucrac(z)y' had been done. Because our population is quite small, you shouldn't be surprised, he only covered 40 Mares, which is quite a good number for German standards.

regards, Ticino
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 7:20pm
Very interesting post Ticino, and plenty of food for thought, cheers and I hope you are healing well from your accident.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 12:23pm
In an absolutely inexplicable move, it was announced yesterday that Counterattack is staying in Germany and not coming back to Kitchwin Hills for the upcoming breeding season.

I supported him last year and am accordingly filthy at the decision. You take the risk with shuttle stallions that they may not return but I've never heard of a reverse shuttler staying in the Northern Hemisphere? Especially after only one season. I expressed some disappointment on Twitter and Kitchwin replied saying that it wasn't their decision - if anyone knows what the hell happened, please enlighten me.
Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 1:50pm
Hi Robbo - I’ve got no info to explain the decision to remain in Germany only. However I’m wondering why it’s a problem for you that he’s not coming back this year when you supported him last year? How do you see it affecting you?
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Cityboy Cityboy wrote:

Hi Robbo - I’ve got no info to explain the decision to remain in Germany only. However I’m wondering why it’s a problem for you that he’s not coming back this year when you supported him last year? How do you see it affecting you?

When you go to sell, the studs rarely support stallions who are no longer on their roster.
to the victor
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 7:49pm
Hello,
it was a real surprise to read in the Breeding Forum Counterattack will remain in Germany.

So I tried to find out more. The Website of the Karlshof Stud" (www.Karlshof.com, E-Mail address: info@karlshof.com) didn't listed him, yet. More info I found at "Galopponline.de" (only German Version). The info reported he will stand until 2019 at the Karlshof Stud, just to save him the long journey back to Australia. So far he will cover ca. 50 broodmares this season (NH). It wasn't mention, he was sold to Germany.
During the last 10-15 years several new Sires have been send to my homecountry. Only a low percentage are still standing in our studs. Many of them had been send to other countries after a few years (mostly France, Ireland), because they didn't attracted as many mares as expected or their offspring was disappointing on the race track. The same fate can happen to the abovementioned Sire and their is an option, he will return to Australia one day.

regards, Ticino
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

Originally posted by Cityboy Cityboy wrote:

When you go to sell, the studs rarely support stallions who are no longer on their roster.

This. Plus he is out of sight, out of mind in terms of PR in advance of the yearling sales season. It's going to be a harder sell for a sceptical buying bench not sure as to why they can't inspect the stallion and why there is no benefactor supporting his stock.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 6:33pm
Surprised Citiboy even asked the question, given his experience in the industry.
Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 6:55pm
Yes in hindsight I must’ve been over tired and I’m mostly focused on breeding to race these days - so I wasn’t aligned with Robbo’s outlook.
 Post Reply Post Reply