Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Usain Bowler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Usain Bowler
    Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 7:40pm
That was a very very nice win just now.
Has that real strong So You Think look. Even the big thick neck.

City grade this one, a ripper.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 7:42pm
Oh dear. The fav (Vitani) backer dropped another $100K. Hope he can afford it.
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 7:45pm
The action looked very smooth.
Next start should tell us a lot more about him before declaring him a Jack Hobbs.

Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 8:07pm
Time very slow too
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by AndiCap AndiCap wrote:

Next start should tell us a lot more about him before declaring him a Jack Hobbs.

Group 1 winner.
reductio ad absurdum
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 8:30pm
Probably had a top up being trained by rat Smerdon at some stage
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by AndiCap AndiCap wrote:

Group 1 winner.

LOL
Grp 2 actually.
Any race in that era without Golden Hand was not a Grp 1.

You know it!
MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 9:11pm
Given the nature of the win, surprised it went around at such big odds. I thought Sadler liked a bet. Any reason why it wasn't fancied? A 30 start maiden was the same odds for crying out loud.
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 9:39pm
Any race in that era without Golden Hand was not a Grp 1
Should that be Golden Horn? Wink
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 9:43pm
Hand on the Horn?  LOL
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:17pm
Good one
monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:10pm
Could have done without Sadler raving on about his great mate Smerdon. Left a sour taste in my mouth. They are all cut from the same cloth I guess, the old Aquacheaters.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 4:20pm

Pugh a key Bowler change?

Plenty has changed in racing since Stephen Pugh last saddled up a runner 20 years ago.

The first, he quickly learned, was that no jumpout is secret anymore.

But for the South Australian horseman, there's plenty that hasn't changed and he is hopeful that might be the secret ingredient in getting Group-performed Usain Bowler back to his best.

Pugh, a part owner in the horse when it was with John Sadler and Ciaron Maher, decided to take over training when connections were advised to retire the horse.

And on Saturday when Usain Bowler steps out in the McKechnie Concreting Handicap (1200m) at Murray Bridge, Pugh will have his first runner since July 26, 2001.

"When (part owner) Jack Love rang me and said the advice was to retire him, that there were too many problems, I thought about it and thought 'What are the problems'?" Pugh said.

"When I went through his list of problems, I thought, 'I can fix that'.

"Sadler, Maher and Eustace know more about racing than I'll ever know, but I'm old school with old knowledge. I thought I'd fix it up with old-school stuff.

"He had ulcers, a crack in his knee, crook knees, his back was crook. I went through problem by problem with some help with time. I left him on the farm for a while, had him in my stable for six months roaming and eating grass.

"We've taken the blankets off him, the chains off him and started again.

"And when I thought I had him good, his niggles sorted, we got him back and now she's all go. We are doing it my own sort of way and he has responded to it."

Pugh said time was one of the biggest keys in getting Usain Bowler back to the races. He was last seen on the Gold Coast in January last year.

However, he made a successful return at the jumpouts earlier this month, winning his 1000-metre heat.

"I snuck him up to Murray Bridge, I thought I was being smart, for a jumpout. But the way things are today, you can't hide anything," he said with a laugh.

Usain Bowler is owned by a lot of Pugh's mates and he said he is thrilled to train for them and continue the journey.

He is also thankful for the faith shown in him to train the horse.

"I'm loving it," Pugh said of returning to training.

"My plan is, if people want to race a horse and I get a phone call, then I am happy to have a go. I'm not going to start buying horses, syndicating horses."

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
 Post Reply Post Reply