Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Scales Of Justice - RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 7:04pm
Smith's comment

Let’s give this story no more oxygen. Scales Of Justice did NOT bleed, end of story.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 7:29pm
Thanks H.

Find the whole matter appalling.

Despite all those who'd hang Smith simply because he just so happens to have been friends with the disgraced Darren Weir for many years, the following should be noted:

He, Smith:

1. has categorically stated that the horse did not bleed;
2. is entitled to take his horses in and out of work whenever he wants; and
3. can spell them anywhere he so desires.

RV is on a dead-set hiding to nothing here unless there's a lot more to the situation than hes been aired thus far.

brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 9:24pm
100% agree SC

It's scary how RV just get more embarrassing every week

Hope Smith sues the Herald Sun. The paper does seem blatantly anti-Weir.
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 1:28am
Anti-Weir?  They gave the cheat a free ride as poster boy for so many years
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 2:24am
I dont think any associates of Weir deserve the benefit of the doubt especially how Smiths "move" to Melbourne came about.

They are all laughing at Victorian integrity.

reductio ad absurdum
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 8:53am
Yes, indeed, Mr G. Poster boy when it suited them.
I just want to see credible reporting and evidence. And more testing, less Tay Tay. I know, so old skool.

And I agree in principle djebel but - that's a blooming lot of associates! A list of names would cause a traffic jam even in the village. (And I admit, they've been good for my feed account )

Off to work. Have a good Monday everyone.
skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Thanks H.

Find the whole matter appalling.

Despite all those who'd hang Smith simply because he just so happens to have been friends with the disgraced Darren Weir for many years, the following should be noted:

He, Smith:

1. has categorically stated that the horse did not bleed;
2. is entitled to take his horses in and out of work whenever he wants; and
3. can spell them anywhere he so desires.

RV is on a dead-set hiding to nothing here unless there's a lot more to the situation than hes been aired thus far.

Agree- either put up or shut up... meanwhile they love to fan Preuskers wings in the media even though he HAS been done for jigger offences... the mind boggles and racing hypocrisy continues
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:37pm
Any truth to the unnamed 3rd person interviewed re Scales of Justice bleeding was DKW?
to the victor
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:43pm
My god, totally missed the boat here. Not only was he interviewed, but the horse is at his property
to the victor
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 12:47pm
Apparently broke down at track work this morning and had to be destroyed.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 1:10pm
Heart attack on the beach 
to the victor
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 1:26pm

Group I-winning star dies at Warrnambool beach

Dual Group I winner Scales Of Justice died on Thursday morning after suffering a suspected heart attack.

Trainer Lindsey Smith reported the seven-year-old collapsed after working on a beach at Warrnambool. The Warrnambool Racing Club later issued a statement confirming the incident.

"The horse was cantering in accordance with the approved guidelines of beach exercise when the incident occurred," the WRC statement read.

"The horse's rider sustained no injuries.

"All at Lindsey Smith Racing are distraught at the horse's passing the the WRC will be supporting the stable through this tough time, including monitoring the wellbeing of the horse's rider."

Vets at the University of Melbourne will conduct a post-mortem examination of the horse.

Scales Of Justice won 12 of his 30 starts and more than $2.3 million in stakes.

The son of Not A Single Doubt won the 2016 Railway Stakes under the riding of star Hong Kong jockey Douglas Whyte.

Scales of Justice was then narrowly beaten in a controversial photo finish in the Group I Kingston Town Classic where Whyte was suspended for a month for failing to ride the horse out.

Scales Of Justice had a short spell with the Darren Weir stable before returning to Smith’s care where he won the Group I Memsie Stakes (1400m) in August last year.

The gelding’s last win was in the Group II Australia Stakes (1200m) at The Valley in January.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 3:30pm
Very sad. Flew the WA flag well. Won a G1, G2 and G3 in the eastern states. Good career.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 8:42pm

Lindsey Smith remembers 'Chopper'

Lindsey Smith has paid tribute to Scales Of Justice, who died of a suspected heart attack while working on the beach at Warrnambool on Thursday morning.

But the trainer's praise was not centred around the ability that carried the gelding to 12 wins, two of which came at the highest level, and as many minor placings from 30 starts and more than $2.3 million in stakes.

Smith said the horse known to all around his stables as 'Chopper' was an equine Einstein.

"He's still the most intelligent horse I've ever dealt with," a shattered Smith said just hours after the gelding's death.

"I've been doing it (working with horses) since I was 11 - I'm 61 now - so that's 50 years.

"He'll always be the benchmark. I'll always use him as a gauge on a horse's intelligence as they come into my stable."

Scales Of Justice shocked stable staff when he suffered what is believed to be a heart attack while undertaking routine work under approved guidelines at Lady Bay Beach.

"He was just trot-and-cantering down the beach, like he does most days, and Bonnie, the girl who rides him, said he started to whinny out and then lost his balance, then he panicked and galloped into the water," Smith said.

"Bonnie couldn't control him, he swam for a little bit and then he died.

"It's traumatic for the whole stable. The other girls were down there too and the helplessness when a horse has a heart attack, it's very distressing.

"I've been in it a long time and it still upsets me."

Scales Of Justice, who has not raced since finishing ninth of 11 in the Group 1 William Reid Stakes (1200m) on March 20, was being readied for another return to the track when Thursday's incident occurred.

He was a star from the time he first raced in Perth and landed his first G1 win in the 2016 Railway Stakes (1600m).

The son of Not A Single Doubt was unlucky not to add the G1 Kingston Town Classic (1800m) two weeks later when narrowly beaten by Stratum Star, after which Scales Of Justice's rider Douglas Whyte was suspended for a month for failing to ride out his mount to the line.

His first Victorian appearance resulted in a second placing to Redkirk Warrior in the G2 Bobbie Lewis Quality (1200m), while he took up residence at Warrnambool when Smith started up his satellite stable last year.

His first start prepared out of Warrnambool produced a win in the G3 Bletchingly Stakes (1200m) at Caulfield and after defeat as an odds-on favourite in the G3 Spring Stakes (1200m) in Adelaide, he returned to Caulfield to win the G1 Memsie Stakes (1400m).

WATCH: Scales Of Justice's 2019 Memsie Stakes win

That was not his final win, which would come when he also claimed the G2 Australia Stakes (1200m) at The Valley in January this year.

Smith reflected fondly on his career, but said his popularity was a result of much more than natural talent and intelligence.

The nickname 'Chopper' sprung from the pandemonium that followed in the early days of his education.

"When he was a colt, one of the girls who worked for me was a fan of the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie (Predator) where he used to say 'Get to the chopper … it's going to blow' and when we started to put the saddle on him he'd start screaming and bucking and no one could get near him," Smith recalled.

"So we called him 'Chopper', which stuck, anyone who ever dealt with him, that's all they ever called him.

"He was a stable favourite from basically the day he walked in, he just happened to win a couple of Group 1s along the way."

Scales Of Justice will undergo a post-mortem at the University of Melbourne, after which his ashes will be returned to connections for burial.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12