Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Ethan Brown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ethan Brown
    Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 3:44pm
Ethan Brown's stint riding for William Haggas at Newmarket in the UK may have ended before it started, after he was detained at Heathrow Airport.

The 18-year-old was set to have a six-week period riding for Haggas at the famed Newmarket training facility, but he didn't make it out of the airport.

In fact, Victorian Jockeys' Association chief executive Matt Hyland even said they put the teenager in a cell after interviewing him.

"Unfortunately, I had a phone call from Ethan's mother this morning at 4am," Hyland explained.

"Ethan had been at the airport, he arrived midday their time, and he got to immigration and was refused entry.

"I don't think he had the appropriate visas to go in, and was there on a holiday but it appeared he was working from their point of view."

Initial reports suggested Brown was going to be sent home immediately but it is hoped the appropriate visa can still be obtained to enable Brown to take up the dream opportunity.

Hyland added: "He is [feeling flat]. It's the first time Ethan's been out of the country.

"The idea around it is really, really good. Mick Kent organised it through his son.

"Unfortunately it's just gone pear-shaped. Given the circumstances over the weekend [the London terrorist attack], you certainly need to have the appropriate paperwork going in there, that's for sure."

Brown's fellow apprentice Lachie King is also bound off-shore imminently, set to represent Australia in the Longines Prix Future Racing Stars (1600m) race on June 17.

Hyland said King's paperwork was in order.

"Racing Victoria organised his France trip, that's happened the last 3-4 years - there's been apprentices go over there," Hyland said.

"I'm sure that's up to speed."

Racing.com is awaiting comment from Racing Victoria on the situation.

Edited by Gay3 - 23 Oct 2023 at 6:29pm
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 3:47pm
Ethan Brown will arrive back in Melbourne later on Tuesday, after being knocked back at immigration in the UK.

Brown was in the UK to undertake a six-week stint riding for William Haggas at Newmarket, but hit a big stumbling block at customs.

Victorian Jockeys' Association chief executive Matt Hyland said on RSN 927's Racing Pulse on Tuesday said he felt the option would still be open for the 18-year-old to revive the opportunity to experience Newmarket under Haggas in the future.

========== 

deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 12:13am
Terrible night for him tonight. Two of his rides, ended up dead.
Bernie Boy and Knight Commander both euthanised
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 2:59pm
Commented once before on the same lines about this kid. Could barely sit on 9+ months ago in some races I saw, is now able to judge pace and have his mounts travelling. Improvement has been enormous. Great ride on Ken's Dream. 

Chris Casserta has also improved out of sight. 
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 4:57pm
You can run but you can’t hide...
This space has been intentionally left blank
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 11:19pm
Please tell  us more ???
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 1:49pm

Brown has liver, kidney injuries

Ethan Brown’s internal injuries include a lacerated liver as well as kidney issues as the jockey prepares to go into surgery again at the Royal Melbourne Hospital on Monday afternoon.

The Victorian Jockey’s Association chief executive Matt Hyland said on Monday that the 23-year-old rider, who crashed heavily in last Saturday’s Australian Guineas, was also likely to have fractures to his vertebrae with those injuries to be fully assessed after the afternoon surgery for internal issues.

Brown was dislodged from Maximillius at about the 300 metre mark of the Australian Guineas when tightened in an incident involving Holymanz, Elliptical and Amenable.

Holymanz also fell but his rider Mark Zahra escaped injury and continued to ride at the meeting.

Hyland said that while expected to make a full recovery, Brown faced a lengthy rehabilitation period.

The VJA will issue a further update on Brown’s condition on Monday afternoon.

Blaike McDougall8152565156$3,641,070.0015.00%540
Daniel Stackhouse7459395447$3,774,793.0015.10%489
Jamie Kah7357463825$10,960,650.0021.20%344
John Allen6661494845$4,681,985.0014.30%462
Dean Holland6565505935$2,498,765.0013.20%493
Ethan Brown6242453343$5,102,570.0017.40%356
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 10:42am

Group-1 winning jockey Ethan Brown is in 'good spirits' as he begins his recovery following last Saturday's sickening fall at Flemington.

Brown was rushed to hospital and underwent a number of operations to control internal bleeding following the fall in the Australian Guineas.

But a picture shared by good friend and fellow jockey Ben Melham on Wednesday night shows Brown smiling and ready to begin his long road back to race riding.

Brown, with an eye mask on his forehead, was shown lying in his bed at Royal Melbourne hospital giving the camera a thumbs up.

"Our little mate is on the mend! Long road to recovery by in good spirits," the picture's caption wrote.

In a tweet Melham said:  "What a difference a few days can make! Good to see a cheesy grin on that face. Thanks to all the staff at Royal Melbourne Hospital."

Melham's partner and fellow jockey Jamie Kah was one of the riders who rushed to Brown's bedside on Saturday night.

"I've been really close to (Brown's partner) Celine (Gaudray) through the last few days. It's been really tough on everyone involved," Kah told Racing.com on Wednesday.

"(Tuesday) was a really good day. He got woken up and said a few words. It's really comforting now he is on the mend.

Kah said Brown was 'one of the best people you'll ever meet'.

"It was (a serious surgery). We were there on Saturday night when he went into surgery," Kah said.

"He had his mum and Celine there for him. It was a very emotional time.

"It reminds everyone of what can happen out there. We send him all our love.

"He is such a talented rider, but more importantly one of the best people you'll ever meet. It's really, really positive he has woken up and is on the road to recovery."

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 6:00pm

Brown planning trackwork return

Ethan Brown's recovery might be progressing ahead of schedule but the rising star jockey says he won't be rushing his return.

Initially told by doctors he'd be out for a minimum of six months following his Australian Guineas race fall on March 4, the Group 1-winning hoop is hoping to be back riding work by the start of next season.

"Hopefully I'll be back riding trackwork in two months, but I've just got to get my core strength back, so you never know, it could be sooner," he said.

"I'm back into some light exercises at the gym, just to build my strength up once again.

"In a couple more months I should be back fit and I'd love to be back for the spring, riding trackwork at least, but I'll just do what my body allows me.

"The signs my body has shown me already have been promising, so I should be back soon."

It's been a tough road back for the 24-year-old, having suffered massive internal injuries in the incident including a grade-five lacerated liver, a major internal bleed and hairline fractures to his lower vertebrae.

He also lost his voice for close to a month after requiring three surgeries following a massive loss of blood.

Before the fall, the three-time G1-winning jockey was in great form, on track for his most successful season as a senior rider with 62 wins including elite-level victories in both the Memsie and Turnbull Stakes.

He says he's grateful to even have the option of returning to riding, saying the fall was an eye-opener and he has a newfound appreciation for the preciousness of life.

"I always just look back at how lucky I was and don't get too far ahead of myself, I know I will be back eventually," he said.

"I've got really good people around me, which definitely goes a long way.

"After the extent of my injuries, I'll bring myself up slowly and try to avoid any further potential injury.

"It is amazing though how everything has already healed, I can't believe it really, I'm very lucky."

spinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 2:13pm
Clap wishing him all the success and good health going forward, was defiantly flying prior to the fall.  
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 6:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply