Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Pacquiao v Horn JULY 2 , Brisbane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Trevor King,Elley Bennett(twice), Danny Hirsch, Ken Wenman and Alfie Webster were his 6 x 15 round fights from 103 bouts 52 wins

Elley bennett. That was the oppnent. ๐Ÿ‘
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

Trevor King,Elley Bennett(twice), Danny Hirsch, Ken Wenman and Alfie Webster were his 6 x 15 round fights from 103 bouts 52 wins

Don't remember Coleman Cabo, but Bennett , Johnny Jarrett, Teddy rainbow, teddy and brother Gordon bell, I do. Cheers.
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Don't remember Coleman Cabo, but Bennett , Johnny Jarrett, Teddy rainbow, teddy and brother Gordon bell, I do. Cheers.

Ron Casey (radio, media) was a sparring partner for tommy burns. i thought his right cross on normie rowes chin was boxer like.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

[

Enlighten us to your in depth knowledge of the contract between them, guru

Rematch clauses are not always enforced and not in all contracts So don't go puffing your chest out over your self evaluated intelligence level
You fail constantly around here

always happy to help,Shrunk Wink

Manny Pacquiao, the bloodied and vanquished champion, insisted on a Brisbane rematch as a clause in his contract for the fight.

And after the fight Pacquiao said he would โ€œabsolutelyโ€ return to Brisbane for a rematch.

โ€œWe have a clause for a rematch. No problem.
[/QUOTE]

Hey whale, how's that insistence on a rematch going?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 8:09pm

Ron Casey (radio, media) was a sparring partner for tommy burns. i thought his right cross on normie rowes chin was boxer like. Yeah, he was an arrogant bludger was won lol, not the first time he was in a skirmish,
had a lisp, I think he may have had to learn to defend himself because of it.

align="middle" />
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 10:13am
Custards Coleman , the measuring stick. ( drunken bum )    I recall twice he was KO'd in the 15th round = once by the Elley Bennet.
I drove 250K to watch a Bennet Fight once ( Sydney Stadium ) .
he got into the ring as fat as a prime steer and did nothing . Elley was Aboriginal ,   He could fight all right but was about as reliable as my poodle.
One of the best records of Australian boxing was Trevor King ( who beat Bennet ) He won over 60 bouts for one loss ( which he overturned in a rematch ).    Trevor had his career ended by a motor cycle accident.    Mike Willesee did a This is your Life on him in 1975.
I was there actually. Trevor is still going OK near Windsor NSW aged 87   
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 1:01pm
Was just talking to my old mate on the phone about these fellas macca..bennett was a drunkard too. just about all of them were back then. Lol.

he said trevor king was good - ended up being a top brass in the salvation army.

coleman had a disagreement with carruthers so they sorted it out with a fight in a park apparently lol.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 1:48pm
Hi ya Cabo, just read a great story on Tommy Burns in the SMH dated Feb. 2011, you may like to read it sometime ( if you haven't already) what a man, what a tale, in our boxing hall of fame and thoroughly deserves to be, none of these blokes left sadly.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 2:00pm

Hi ya Cabo, just read a great story on Tommy Burns in the SMH dated Feb. 2011, you may like to read it sometime ( if you haven't already) what a man, what a tale, in our boxing hall of fame and thoroughly deserves to be, none of these blokes left sadly.

Cowboy Johnson and Tommy Burns was an interesting bout.
Back in the days of Flannery, George Barnes ( went the distance with Freddie Dawson, as did Bernie Hall.       Pat Ford ( from my local stable Orange CYMS ) took the lightweight title from Flannery and went on to become only the 2nd Aussie to win an Empire Title.( Dave Sands)
the first. ( killed in a road accident ) . He was the best.
   OHHH   for the good old days .   Love the memories.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 3:47pm

Cheers carioca, i will read it mate. And i'l see if i can find a long written article on young griffo that i read sometime back. Fantastic article

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 4:10pm

Cheers carioca, i will read it mate. And i'l see if i can find a long written article on young griffo that i read sometime back. Fantastic article

Thanks mate.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 4:18pm
The Horndog can really talk up a fight- Ali, Mayweather and McGregor have nothing on him in that respect.LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Cowboy Johnson and Tommy Burns was an interesting bout.
Back in the days of Flannery, George Barnes ( went the distance with Freddie Dawson, as did Bernie Hall.       Pat Ford ( from my local stable Orange CYMS ) took the lightweight title from Flannery and went on to become only the 2nd Aussie to win an Empire Title.( Dave Sands)
the first. ( killed in a road accident ) . He was the best.
   OHHH   for the good old days .   Love the memories.

dave Sands was a terrific fighter...what a tragedy.

Funny...my old man wasnt a fight buff per say & either were all the old fellas i know and talk too. but geez...they all know the fighters from yesteryear, and can tell you everything about them. almost all went to sydney stadium and watched fights. incredible.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 4:54pm
My old man was a good sketch artist, and did a good one of Elly Bennett in charcoal or pencil, I have somewhere.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

My old man was a good sketch artist, and did a good one of Elly Bennett in charcoal or pencil, I have somewhere.

beautiful. the fight game meant something to alot of people back then.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 5:44pm
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 5:47pm

No TV ..   Leichardt & the old tin shed ( Sydney Stadium ) every week.
Boxing was big In those days. Monday & Friday from memory . SS was demolished about 50 years ago.

Max , That sketch of Elley Bennet may be a goldmine .      He was one of the best known of all time . Jimmy Caruthers relieved him of his title .    Anything like that " Aboriginal " I would think is valuable.

His tragic life   .   He was a fine looking man Elley Bennet
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

No TV ..   Leichardt & the old tin shed ( Sydney Stadium ) every week.
Boxing was big In those days. Monday & Friday from memory . SS was demolished about 50 years ago.

Max , That sketch of Elley Bennet may be a goldmine .      He was one of the best known of all time . Jimmy Caruthers relieved him of his title .    Anything like that " Aboriginal " I would think is valuable.

His tragic life   .   He was a fine looking man Elley Bennet

I will see if I can find it, and scan it, and post it here, if possible.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 6:13pm
Image result for Elley Bennett boxer
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 7:56pm

Image result for Elley Bennett boxer

Not one of his best PT .

BTW . I think Alfie Webster was in the heavier divisions.

http://static.boxrec.com/c/c6/ARD021953.jpg
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:08pm

http://www.boxing.com/young_griffo_the_spirits_moved_him.html

Thats the article...great read and i know one well respected us historian rates him as oz best ever, even with no footage.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 11:03am
Pacquiao beats Thurman who admittedly was underdone after a 2 year break, still a great effort at 40

He trained hard for this fight, no taking it easy as he did in the lead up to the Horn fight, which by the way he still won, daylight robbery
But I was wrong Smile, there was no rematch.
Why would Manny want to fight a flash in the pan, dirty fighter who was amazingly fortunate to win a world title which he promptly lost.

Pacquiao will get about $20 million for the Thurman fight, Horn is fighting in Bendigo LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213