Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

James McDonald

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 6:25pm
Managed to ride on Sat but further scans have revealed some damage. Will be out for at least a month. 
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 7:00pm
Never good news going to a Doctor. 
reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2023 at 12:51pm

‘I could definitely see myself here': J-Mac's grand Hong Kong plan

t won't be in the immediate future, but superstar jockey James McDonald can "definitely" see himself making the move to Hong Kong later in his glittering career.

The 31-year-old, who has made plenty of hit-and-run missions to the racing mecca and just recorded a second straight Hong Kong Cup victory with Romantic Warrior, is in the middle of a six-week stint at Sha Tin and is relishing life in the high-intensity city.

While he still has plenty of goals to achieve in Australia – and he will return to Sydney when his current contract expires on January 1 – McDonald expects he will give Hong Kong a bigger commitment down the track.

"I really enjoy it here. It's a great place to ride and compete," he said.

"I'm staying here six weeks, it's just nice, a bit of a change and I'll definitely be going back home, but I could definitely see myself here eventually."

• J-Mac pilots Romantic Warrior to unprecedented Cox Plate-Hong Kong double

Romantic Warrior and J-Mac hold on to win the Hong Kong Cup! #HKRacingpic.twitter.com/EUd3ReUMQZ

— SKY Racing (@SkyRacingAU) December 10, 2023

While the enormous prizemoney on offer and a 15 per cent tax rate are obviously big incentives to make the move, the lifestyle is also a major attraction, with races only on two days a week.

"The workload is a little bit less. I'm actually living on course and I find it fantastic," McDonald said.

"I enjoy walking down stairs, five minutes to trackwork. It's all set out in a routine, which I like.

"If there's a half-an-hour break I shoot home, see (daughter) Evie and then have a coffee and shoot back down. That I've really enjoyed.

"You're very structured – Sha Tin on a Sunday and Happy Valley on a Wednesday – you know what's going to happen."

• J-Mac falls foul of whip rules in Northerly Stakes second on Zaaki

“This is his best win by a mile.”

Hear from J-Mac following Romantic Warrior's Hong Kong Cup win ???? pic.twitter.com/a7CrYXVq8U

— Racing.com (@Racing) December 10, 2023

There is a big spotlight on racing in Hong Kong – it's the most scrutinised jurisdiction in the world – but that pressure to perform is something McDonald embraces.

"I enjoy that pressure," he said.

"As an athlete, as a competitor, you like eyeballs on you. It's an ego-driven sort of thing, you want to perform."

After seven Group 1 wins in the spring and with seven Sydney premierships under his belt, McDonald is enjoying the freedom to pick and choose how he divides his time.

"Now I'm getting a little bit older, I can structure the carnivals how I like," he said.

"I stayed in Melbourne for five weeks, now I'm here for six weeks – I want to do particularly well here and then back to Sydney for the autumn, which is a great carnival."

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910