Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Universal Basic Income

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Universal Basic Income
    Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 7:33am
Has anyone read anywhere about this?

I thought if I bring it up here it will save me researching as you lot can decipher all the good and bad and argue to your hearts content.

My thoughts are inflation would render it useless? If everyone getting a basic amount surely the basic amount for groceries, fuel, houses etc just goes up with it? 
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 9:40am
A couple of European countries are trialing it this year, and others are holding referendums on it to decide whether to trial it, so it is more than just a thought bubble. 

It isn't a new thing and is probably the way economies in resource rich ''benevolent'' dictatorships or monarchies work. 

I think the argument is that in the future people wont be required to do physical work, and most jobs as we know them wont exist, so a means of catering for people's basic social income is going to be required, and a universal prescribed amount, social security net is one way to go, something that everyone gets regardless of income, so no need for bureaucratic management of it.    
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 3:33pm
With Ford sacking workers left right and centre and Forestry companys using robots we move a step closer to needing this. 
reductio ad absurdum
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 4:08pm
Globalisatoin 101.

china and pt love it.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 5:54am
This global coronavirus pandemic and the economic response to it, with one third of the world's population( and growing), staying at home and getting paid by govt is a perfect opportunity to study how a Universal Basic Income would work on a larger/global scale.
 Post Reply Post Reply